Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Beefaroni7272
  • 1 Post By wizzo01
  • 1 Post By Beefaroni7272
Day 6 feeling somewhat better but still can't sleep!
    wizzo01 is offline New Member

Angry Day 6 feeling somewhat better but still can't sleep!

I am going to make a long story short. I am a 40 year old man who has been addicted to pain pills (norcos) for a little over 2 years. The worst it got was 70-80 mg daily. This past year has been a roller coaster of spending all my paychecks, selling my stuff, borrowing money and doing pretty much anything I can to maintain my addiction. Well 6 days ago I took my last one. I was broke when I ran out and at first naturally scrambled to see how I could get some money together to get more and then stopped myself and said that this is it, I have to end this. The first couple days were hell of course but I managed to push through. Day 3 I started to feel a little better and day 4 started to feel like there is hope. The one thing that persists however I the lack of sleep. I have been sleeping 2 hours each night at the most. Yesterday I was so tired during the day I tried to take a nap around noon. I laid down on the bed and fell right to sleep and guess what? Ten minutes went by and bam! Wide awake! The RLS has subsided for the most part, I still have it a little bit but it is nothing compared to the first 3 nights. I just lay there in bed though,wide awake and cant sleep worth a damn! Is there anything that I can take to help me sleep? I hate benzos, I had a xanax on day 2 and it didn't really help me sleep, it just made me really loopy and feel weird. I almost took some benadryl last night but luckily looked it up first and read benadryl intensifies RLS so I passed on that. I just went and bought some valerian root and I am going to try that tonight. I just need to sleep! I think the worst has passed and I am on my way to recovery but I am just exhausted from not sleeping.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Aah, no sleep. We all know it well. Valerian root, and melatonin are the first things I'd recommend. Both are all natural, melatonin you should take around 3-5 mg at most. Less is more with it. And make sure your cell phone and tv are off in a completely dark room. Some types of light can completely negate the melatonin.

Congratulations on what you have accomplished so far!! You are doing great. Sleep is the last thing to return. You should be starting to have good days coming soon with the bad days being less frequent. Some days you may feel like you went backwards a few days. Don't panick! It's all normal and it will pass. Time is the greatest healer. I know that's not what you want to hear but it's true. My sleep was spotty at best for the first month. Averaging anywhere from 1-5 hours. It sux, but it gets better, and this is way better I promise you!!

That's about all I got for you. Just wanted to give you a few options, way to go on the benzos, those things are nasty!! Post as often as you need to, if only to get it out. It helps. We are here to help. Congratulations again for taking your life back. And welcome to the forum!!

Stay strong
    Beef
    Catrina likes this.

wizzo01 is offline New Member

Thanks for the reply. i still am not sleeping very well. i tried the melatonin and valerian but I am still restless at night. Ughhh I think i am on like day 10 now and it is ups and downs now. A few nights ago I came home from work and felt sooooo good, the best I have felt in a long time. My thinking was clear and I was in a great mood with a ton of energy. Then that night i had trouble sleeping and the next day i had 0 energy all day. All I felt like doing was laying down all day. Pretty much since that night I have felt the same everyday. All day tired and kind of irritable and then around 8-9 at night I wake up and feel wide awake and can't sleep but it is not a good wide awake, it is my body is >>>>ing exhausted and needs rest but my brain just wont let me settle down and fall asleep wide awake. I have been depressed too because I have a 4 year old boy and during the day when i should be taking him places and playing with him I am so tired all I feel like doing is sitting on the couch. Sometimes it feels like I am standing up with 1000 pounds on my back. I have been exercising too, I have gone on a few runs and lifted weights the other night. Every time I exercise I do feel good afterwords for a couple hours but then the exhaustion and lethargy kicks in again. I am getting do discouraged, I just want my energy back! I am hoping after hitting the 2 week mark I start to feel even better. Fingers crossed. Thanks.
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Everything you're feeling is normal. We didn't get this way in a week or two. We were on the garbage for a long time. It's gonna take our bodies a while to heal. That's what this is. Your body is healing itself. It's only temporary and it will pass in time. I know that's not what you want to hear. But it's true. Ten days you should start turning the corner real soon. That good day you had. You're about to have more of those and less of the bad until they're all good. You're so close!!! Energy and sleep are the last things to balance out. I feel your pain. I jumped from subs which take a little longer because of the long half life. But I whined and whined about my sleep and energy for about a month. I was a zombie!!! It was a terrible, exhausting rollercoaster but I'm so greatful because I'm now over two months clean. My sleep still isn't where I'd like it to be but I'm having more good night's than bad. To quote another member on here the mental journey is formidable. Keeping a positive mindset is key. If you're in a bad place your mind will find something to blame it on. Embrace the sleep, or lack there of. Stop watching the clock. It'll drive you bananas. Take it as it comes. If you can't sleep take a hot bath/shower and try again. Still can't get to sleep do some reading or watch a movie. Just keep your mind occupied on those long nights. I think I read most of the long threads on here on those nights. And rolled out of bed the next day with a renewed determination to see this through. This place Is great. And it saved me. Have you looked into aa, na, therapy, face to deface support. Sharing and talking with people who have been there before really helps. Get it out and post as much as you need or want to. It helps. Keep your head up!!! You're so close. You'll start turning the corner soon. Just give it some time. It is so much better on this side of the fence.

Keep doing the next right thing!!!!
    Stay strong
    Beef
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.