Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
Day Three.... Surviving!
    RecklessOne is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Day Three.... Surviving!

Hello Folks:

I'm new to the boards. Lurked yesterday -wow, such honestly, struggle, human will and determination. I signed up today in order to share and talk about my personal story of addiction and withdrawal.

Back story: I lost my entire left lung to a grapefruit-size cancer in Dec '10 Yes... you can live with only one lung but mountain biking is over :-) . Had a subsequent golf ball-size tumor removed from my neck in Oct. 2013... I was not expected to survive that surgery - it was a tad tricky. The bottom line is from the beginning in 2010 my 5-year chance of survival was 1 in 20 (5%). Cumulatively, I had 34 rounds of chemo, 70+ rounds of radiation and more scans and biopsies to count... I felt like hell, was terribly fatigued, in pain, and was encouraged to take Norco (10/325) in order to minimize the acute local and chronic global effects of treatment and beyond.

Honestly, at stage 3b and 55+ years old, with very poor odds for long-term survival, I figured "who cares if I develop a short-term addiction, especially when the pills relieved some especially crummy symptoms?" (This was the persuasive lie I told myself, BTW)

So here I am nearly five years later, surprisingly alive against the odds, addicted to Norco: 12-daily (120/mg) for the past 4.5 years. Out of curiosity I quit C/T a few times previously only to discover that my breathing became considerably worse (ability to take a full breath into my remaining lung was compromised and painful, and lowered my blood-oxygen levels; which makes one more stupid than they are naturally. Ha.) I had an elephant sitting on my chest. I relayed this to my oncologist (my prescribing MD) and was informed that some patients are actually prescribed morphine in order to loosen the chest muscles to allow easier breathing. That struck me as a miserable catch-22.

Since this post is already too long to "make it brief".... I decided to quit on Monday for two main reasons: 1) I wake up feeling horrible each morning - presumably because WD has already started (having taken my last dose early the night before, usually at 5:30pm), and 2) I find myself checking out of normal life activities and socializing because I'd rather be sitting in my recliner, Norco coursing through my system, comfortable, breathing easy, out of back pain (a side effect from loss of lung), escaping from the troubling reality and uncertainty of my physical situation. And oh yeah... it feels good.

So I'm on Day 3 without Norco. My last dose was Sunday at 6pm, it's now Wed mid-morning. I feel like I have a mild flu (ditto yesterday and day before). I do not feel compelled to medicate in any way with Norco - to my great surprise it hasn't been entering my mind - but I've done this before, so maybe I have a little experience with this, or it's going to slam me on day 5 or 6 or....15? Who knows.

I'm drinking a lot of fluids. I am a tad 'nervy' (RLS first night), am as weak as a baby kitten, have a runny nose and other runny orifices... but nothing I can't work through. Chills, sweats, sneezing A LOT (weird - I didn't expect that). Since Monday I keep repeating this simple Scripture to myself: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Yes, I am a Christian and actually that is my 3rd reason for quitting: I've had this conviction placed on my heart for a long time to rid myself of this double-edged demon.

I write and share with all of you simply to share my story, seek your support, offer support - and whatever I can about my journey as a recovering addict. Here's to tomorrow, day 4. God Bless.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

LifeSaver77 is offline Member

Ya for you!!! What an incredible story. Wow.

Totally get you on not caring if you develop an addiction. Guess other plans were in place for you to be here a lot longer. Totally relate to how easy it becomes to just sit on the couch and zone out.

Today is my day 7 opiate-free. I also found the sneezing to be a really weird symptom. Perhaps it's yet another way the body is ridding itself of the toxins. The insides of my nostrils were super itchy. Yesterday, I inhaled some water through my nose while showering. Not totally pleasant, but the itchiness is greatly reduced today. YMMV...

Day four was my worst, and every day since I ONLY improve, so, you're really close to the end of the uglies.

Don't give up. You're doing great, and deserve to live your life to the fullest.
    Iluv2smile and RecklessOne like this.

Thank you for your kind and supportive words, LifeSaver77. Wow.... 7 days yourself, all I can say is great on you and don't give up. This road isn't worth going down again (and again and again). Thank you for replying. God bless you! CaChooo!

Hey LS77... morning #4 here, #8 on your side - yes? How are you doing, did you sleep last night, any RLS, still sneezing your nostrils out?

Reading that day 4 was the worst for you probably messed with my mind a bit... had a slow start this morning, but honestly I don't much different than yesterday... weak, a little flu like. I'm a bit frustrated because everyone says to exercise, but that's not in the cards of a one-lung person. You gotta work with what you have I 'spose.

I got through the night with a diazapam (valium) and two lorazapan (Atavan). I've never had an attraction to the effect of these pills other than helping me to sleep, especially when traveling (I can't take Ambien, Melotonin, etc, due to horrible nightmarish dreams).

I was reading a long thread this morning involving two members (both named Sunshine###) who tapered off, apparently successfully as of today (Yay for them!). One of them mentioned how she'dsave up a larger dose to take in the evening.... this is exactly what I would do. I always made sure I had 3-4 to take when I arrived home from work so I could 'mellow out' in my recliner for a couple hours before dinner. Man... FOX News never sounded so good. :-)

I have to force myself to eat, but am downing Gatorade by the half gallon, taking pre-natal vitamin (mostly due to one lung - need more iron in blood), and slamming back Ensure as any 59 year old geezer ought to be doing in spite of it tasting like >>>>.

I hope today finds you on-track and doing well. God bless

PS: I turn 60 on the 16th... my present to myself is being opiate free and feeling good enough to overcome the thought of somehow turning 60 when I was, like 38 just a couple years ago.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-08-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Sunshine1112 is offline Advanced Member

Recklessone I saw your post when you originally posted and did not respond because I was in ahhhhhh of your story and all the odds you beat. It almost felt as if what I am going thru is nothing compared to what you have been thru. Lol..... I surely would not feel comfortable complaining that I am unmotivated to clean the house. Honestly, I did not know how to respond as so many of us here truly need words of encouragement but the strength in you to get thru all that is unreal!!!

Congrats on your day 4!!!!! You are correct the mental aspects of wd is big, I would have kept tapering down to a chip if I had thought it was going to save me a little discomfort.

Yes excerxise does help but perhaps you could try music as so many people have posted about it helping. Perhaps ask Randy about an alternative as he might be able to chime in as he always has answers to stuff. Most need excercise after for depression that comes and you may or may not have that. I hope you have some rays of sunshine in this day!!!!!
    RecklessOne and Randy35 like this.

Hello Sunshine112... If it helps, I'm not motivated to clean the house either. :-).

I COL (chuckled out loud) when you said you'd taper down to a chip if you had thought it was going to save you a little discomfort. Hahaha. I do know what you mean though. This is wickedly powerful stuff.

I appreciated your response more than you know, We each have a personal cross to bear; mine is no better or worse than anyone elses. I hope today was a little better for you and each day that follows adds fruit to the last.

I'm just figuring out this forum, so not a pro at navigating yet. You mentioned "Randy", is he a moderator? I just 'ripped' over 10,000 songs off my CD collection and onto my computer. Music is a great idea, thanks for that idea.

I also read a guy getting lambasted for bad language, then re-lambasted for using language he didn't consider particularly bad!In fact neither did I... Hahaha. I then found one word in my story that had been >>>> out (which made it look worse than what the real word was!).... I looked around for the rules on language but didn't come across anything. Oh well, a minor matter. I just felt bad unknowingly breaking a protocol that members are expected to follow.

Tomorrow is Day 5 CT for me. I'm actually looking forward to it; perhaps a slight improvement will come my way. It's the weekend that presents a bit of concern only because of the habit I was in where weekends were a bit more binge-full. I'll make it though. I plan to return to work on Monday before my staff plans a mutiny.

Best wishes and God bless Sunshine.

Les
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-08-2015 at 08:03 PM.

momneedshelp7 is offline Member

Congrats on day 5 reckless one. As sunshine stated, your story is truly amazing. The strength you have found in your self is unreal. You have definitely made it through the worst and everyday will get better from here. This forum is a godsend. Everytime I get discouraged I read up on stories like yours and think - I got this! I am wishing that I was on day 5. Not still taking them. But I have a week left and then it's goodbye opiates for me. Good luck and hope today and this weekend is ok for you!
    RecklessOne likes this.

Greetings Sunshine112 and momneedshelp7:

Mom- Thank you. It's not strength, it's just one foot in front of the other holding the cards you've been dealt. I honestly believe that's what each of us are wired to do in facing a challenge. Plus, walking backward looks clumsy. Whatever strength I have is a gift received from another power living deep in my soul... I'll leave it at that.

Mom- You'll be on Day 5 soon enough. When I would run low I'd play a game of getting angry at the warm-fuzzies, knowing they could care less about me and would soon leave me feeling 'empty' inside again. Like the bully down the street, giving you a piece of candy then tackling you in the gutter when you turn your back. I got mad at the short high, and the low that was soon to follow. These freakish things are definitely not true blue friends. I HOPE YOU WILL KEEP POSTING not only now, but when and after you begin.

Sunshine112- Isn't today #60?? Yippie!! You go gurl! Do you feel your new life emerging? Are you sleeping at night and waking rested in the morning? I do hope so dear.

Today is day 5 for me. Last night (night #4) was unexpectedly more difficult than the previous three. I could not fall asleep until 2am, and that only after taking enough Benedryl to suck the water out of the toilet when passing by. I honestly had so much energy I thought about just getting up and working on a project. One-lungers have a high heart rate in order to pump the extra blood missing from the removed lung... so resting is usually between 80 and 100/BPM. Mine was around that number last night... just more powerful beats that kept me awake, and a slight case of RLS.

On the plus side, in the first time in a decade I 'slept in' past 7:30am until 11:am, Which is unheard of for me, and woke up feeling fairly well. No runny nose, no sneezing. Just still a bit weak. No desire to medicate.

Thank you for taking time to write, it has helped me more than I would have guessed.

Prayers and God's blessings to each of you.

~Les

Not quite 60 for me but I am on my way. I started tapering and in November I was down to only one pill split in half then by end of Nov I was off trams. I have been tapering that long. Sun will be two weeks.
    RecklessOne likes this.

Les sorry forgot. I feel for you on the heartbeat mine was always real high and the feeling like its going to beat out of your chest. I felt every heartbeat!!!! It was so horrible and still is at times but getting better. That and the anxiety trumped any other wds. I honestly thought it was never going to end as mine would stay between 93 to 100.
    RecklessOne likes this.

Sorry- I confused you with ButterflyLove who is at 60 days today, as I recall.

Your day of proclamation will arrive soon enough!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine1112 View Post
    Les sorry forgot. I feel for you on the heartbeat mine was always real high and the feeling like its going to beat out of your chest. I felt every heartbeat!!!! It was so horrible and still is at times but getting better. That and the anxiety trumped any other wds. I honestly thought it was never going to end as mine would stay between 93 to 100.
    I read about this from others, so wasn't totally surprised. Since mine is normally high anyway I didn't take much notice except for it pumping more powerfully - which annoyed the snot out of me. With only one lung and nothing to cushion it, the heart twists out of position so you feel it very noticeably laying on your back or stomach. I do hope this comes to pass!

Day 5. doing alright!!!

~Les

Day 6 almost over. The weekend is here which I suspected would be more challenging... it is, but nothing I can't Handle.

RLS drove in crazy last night (probably my wife also :-) ) We're going to pick some that restful leg OTC we heard about and to see if it works.

Monday will be Day#8. I plan to return to my business on that day and try took as pitiful as possible in case anyone is inclined to bring a box of chocolates.

I hope each of you are finding the inner strength, will, patience, and each have a clear and positive vision of what your future will look like in a year.... and perhaps just as important never forgetting the price you paid to make a better 'you' out of your self. You can't take one pill without falling into the ditch. Stay away from the ditch, some of the best fresh asparagus grows there!

~Les

If I may...:
    "the Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."
    Psalms 34:18

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
    Philippians 4:13

--- you don't have to do this alone. Cry out in prayer for mercy and grace. You will be heard and answered according to His will, His perfect plan for the gift of life we managed to mangle up a tad.

Believe.... God bless, ~Les
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-10-2015 at 06:29 PM.

DDAVE45 is offline Member

recklessone...........what a story ....really makes you stop and think about all the things we sometimes take for granted. Congrats on day 6....you are doing an awesome job!!
    RecklessOne and Randy35 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DDAVE45 View Post
    recklessone...........what a story ....really makes you stop and think about all the things we sometimes take for granted. Congrats on day 6....you are doing an awesome job!!
    Thanks DDAVE45! Sunday Morning; day 7! Yippie!! I can honestly say that for the first time in several years I woke up without feeling like a train wreck. This is just the good feeling I was expecting to come over me sooner or later, and what will boost my motivation even higher. My script was for #360-10/325 monthly for the past 4.5 years. Quitting last Monday was on a lark... I had no idea Sunday night that Monday would be the start of a clean life. The time was finally right I suppose.

Thank you to everyone who left a message of support, or simply took time to read my little story. I hope it helps just one other person along the way.

I'm not out of the woods, but the trees are thinning, brush is thickening, and I hear the faint sound of pure Rocky Mountain water coursing down a distant creek.

God bless each of you,
    ~Les

(I know it's a tad gross, but here is a cut they make to remove a lung containing a grapefruit-size malignant tumor. Let's just say it was sore for a while) Hopefully the photo shows... if not, meh.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-17-2015 at 08:49 PM.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessOne View Post
    I'm just figuring out this forum, so not a pro at navigating yet. You mentioned "Randy", is he a moderator? I just 'ripped' over 10,000 songs off my CD collection and onto my computer. Music is a great idea, thanks for that idea.

I also read a guy getting lambasted for bad language, then re-lambasted for using language he didn't consider particularly bad!In fact neither did I... Hahaha. I then found one word in my story that had been >>>> out (which made it look worse than what the real word was!).... I looked around for the rules on language but didn't come across anything.

Hey Les - Guess who? Lol. Been reading your thread and first let me give you a virtual handshake along with a fist pump and high five!! Wow, what a story, along with the tremendous amount of courage you display my friend. Absolutely phenomenal!! That photo had me gasping! You can read how severe having a LUNG removed might be, but the picture reallys says it all. Can you say IRON MAN!!!!! AMAZING you are!!!

I'm probably the one you're speaking about that was "lamblasting" a guy for bad language. Lol. Let me assure you he and I are very good forum friends and he knows it was all in jest. I joke whenever I have the opportunity! Me and another member have joked with him back and forth since he's been here, pushing him in the process. Sometimes we find a need to really "shove" someone, but it may depend on the need to be comical about things in some cases. The actual forum rules are a little difficult to find and swearing is NOT allowed just as giving out email addresses, phone numbers, or posting web site links is not permitted. And NO, I'm definitely no forum moderator! Lol. Don't believe I could handle it! Lol.

Anyway I see my friend "Sunshine" was kind enough to mention me to you and thought I would introduce myself and say hello. Hello! Lol. I'm a very oridinary (what's that?) guy that's been an addict around 18 years now. You name it, I'd try it. Got in huge trouble and lost EVERYTHING I owned and loved eventually. Got on Methadone, which was a nightmare and ended up abusing that too! Made the switch to Suboxone taking 3 tries to perform it successfully. Put myself into precipitated withdrawals twice in the process. No fun whatsoever! Was on subs about 9 months to get active addiction out of my mind, then tapered the subs. Last week I celebrated my 6-month anniversary of being 100% clean and free of ALL addictive substances. That's basically my road of travel with additional bumps along the way! My thread is here. Click on a person's "user name" and you can find out things like their thread and other things.

You really are doing AWESOME! Day 7 today right? We have more fight in us than we think sometimes. I never in a million years thought it was possible for me to be where I am now. Just know this is a process and not an event. Every day forward gets better and better. You're doing all the right things. Getting extra protein in will help a lot to provide more energy. Exercising is key to feeling better as was mentioned. And YES, music keeps your mind occupied as the hours pass. Theres plenty of vitamins and supplements that also provide mood stabilazation and energy. I like taking B6, B12, and BComplex daily. I realize the Complex has the others in it, but a bit more helps in my opinion. I make my own protein shakes each morning and that REALLY gets me going each day! Simply walking does more than many realize too. Whatever you can do based on anyone's physical limitations helps our endorphins working for us. The chemicals we took put a sorta artifical "fog" over them and now they need to begin working harder, and they will.

Well this is long enough I guess. I'll check back again I promise. Welcome and so glad you're with us! Take care and be STRONG. That BEAST will never give up trying to get back in your life.

-Randy
    RecklessOne likes this.

Hello Randy!

Thank you for taking time to write such an informative post. Very much appreciated! High Five and Fist Bump returned to you. 6 months is something to be very proud of. Thanks for filling me in on the 'banter' between you and your buddy. I was afraid all it would take is a dark alley and someone was gonna get pummeled. :-)

As I mentioned before I am very limited on exercise (which breaks my heart because I was a high-level athletic rider before the cancer) but music sounds like a great way to pass time and re-connect with buried emotions. I can walk, and will as soon as it's not -300 degrees here in Colorado. :-)

As you suggested I am on a vitamin regimen (prenatal actually because uni-lungers need more iron to help carry oxygen). It contains B2, B6, B12 and a host of other goodies I hardly understand. Oh well, meh. Been drinking Ensure as well, and FORCING myself to eat.

Yes, today is day 7. I can honestly say I have not had a craving other than an occasional thought. Bt golly, I think I may have this one! Ha!

Best of luck and prayers for you, Randy. Let the beast burn hell (or is it >>>> ?) as his final reward.

I will read your story, man, it sounds like a journey of pain and suffering. Take care and God bless,

~Les
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-15-2015 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Messed up photo upload

DDAVE45 is offline Member

you da man les!!!!!! just keep it up and you will see that this side of the fence is a hell of a lot better
    RecklessOne likes this.

Wow, you really are a strong person! What a story! Congratulations on quitting, keep up the good works a and God bless you. x
    Randy35 and RecklessOne like this.

Hey Les - Day 8 is here my friend! So how ya feeling today so far? Hope all is well and you're plugging along. The days definitely get better and better. I can't imagine doing this having the medical problems you have.

STRONG, STRONGER, and then OVER THE TOP with strength and commitment! WOW!!!

If YOU'RE not an INSPIRATION to everyone I don't know who is!!!!

-Randy

Hi Randy!

Thanks for the follow up this morning, Yes DAY #8!!! I find it a bit amusing that the WD symptoms I was most concerned about never materialized, and ones I never thought about did. Trouble sleeping is the worst, RLS (I picked up sublingual pills for that), I can't take 'real' sleeping pills like Ambien, but can take Klonopin or valium which helps somewhat (I'm pretty safe with these drugs, never had a taste for them and have never taken any except to sleep (mostly when traveling)... but of course I'm careful and cognizant of potential danger. As soon as I get a good night's sleep they'll go back in the medicine chest where they've always been.

Other than minor discomfort yesterday evening (when I'd usually zone out to the TV with Norco coursing through my veins) and sleeping issues, I just haven't had any serious thoughts or desires concerning Norco. Honestly, I've gone to hell and back not only with all my cancer fun, but two surgeries on my wife's heart (it was cool... I got to scrub in for one of them for legal reasons). I think I may have a different perspective on getting through challenges because I've faced so many that threatened my/my wife's life. Plus, I count on the Lord for all things - including the strength I've needed to pull through. Can I have an AMEN!! There you go, thanks!

My birthday in this week. Being off these rotten pills will be the greatest gift I can hope for.

BTW: I loved your quote (which I can't find at the moment) about this not being an Event but a Journey. I understand that SO WELL because dealing with cancer is the same way... you continue to pay a price for as long as you live, whether fighting back a weak moment of compulsion, or wondering if the next tumor is the one that will take you out. That's ok though, the mortars flying over your foxhole are ok, the ones that land in it are cause for concern!!! :-)

So to answer your question at the end of the novel I just penned... I'm feeling better when I rise in the morning, have no cravings except for Captain Crunch, ha, and feel certain I'll make it through this. Muscle weakness and fatigue have been the most noticeable symptoms... I do hope that improves as much as it can for a 'Uni-Lunger'.

Thank you for the love and concern. God bless,
    Les
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-12-2015 at 02:39 PM.
    JustAnotherAddict likes this.

[image deleted]
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-15-2015 at 02:46 PM.
    JustAnotherAddict likes this.

Looking good, soon to be feeling great!!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-15-2015 at 02:46 PM.
    RecklessOne likes this.

Thanks JAA: As you can see I'm ready to cut this stuff out of my life. Ha.

Today is day 9. Still not sleeping well but suppose that will come in time.

Thank you, every one, for your postings and encouragement!

~Les

Les! You look great and I'm so happy you are doing so well! Im so jealous and hope I can be in your shoes soon ! I wrote a bunch on my thread this morning as I am petrified on what's to come.
    Randy - I had some questions for you that I posted there. Hoping you can help shed some light when you have time.

Thanks. Guys!

MNH7....: I DO LOOK GREAT DON'T I??? Hahaha... But I digress, the photo was from about 10 years ago - before the whole cancer thing began: no drugs. That's what I'll be looking like again soon except my mustache is now gray. Ha. And by the way, you REALLY DON'T want to be in my shoes - they won't fit well and they have an unpleasant odor.

Seriously, I am not experienced enough with opiate WD to provide meaningful advice as Randy has. What I can share is that it took me 6 or 7 tries to get to this point. I tried CT, I tried tapering, I tried eating lots of Captain Crunch... (I have no idea what that means).... nothing lasted longer than 2 days. I will say that my EXPECTATIONS of the severity of WD were worse than the real thing... I worked it up in my mind to an impending mountain of pain and suffering, which in turn made it worse. Head games. By the third or fourth try I realized half of the battle was not playing games in my head that made the process nearly impossible.

I hear and feel the fear, struggle, and determination in your words. I hear Randy providing what seems to be very good first hand advice. All I know to do for you is lift you up in prayer and let you rest in hands that are stronger than all of ours. And so I shall be praying for you.

~Les
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Oh... Today is Day #10. Slept better last night (with a little help from Restful Legs, Benadryl, and Klonopin). My hardest time is the evening when I'd normally pop a few and mellow out to the TV. I have to figure out something else to fill that time - cuz without Hydro's.... TV isn't nearly as entertaining as I thought it was. Hahaha. My birthday is this friday, day #12. I'm looking forward to it, except for turning 60 - which kinda sucks and looks even worse when typed out in a message. After all I've gone through though, the doctors are amazed I'm still alive. Frankly, so am I. :-)
    Randy35 and Iwantoff2013 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessOne View Post
    Oh... Today is Day #10. Slept better last night (with a little help from Restful Legs, Benadryl, and Klonopin). My hardest time is the evening when I'd normally pop a few and mellow out to the TV. I have to figure out something else to fill that time - cuz without Hydro's.... TV isn't nearly as entertaining as I thought it was. Hahaha. My birthday is this friday, day #12. I'm looking forward to it, except for turning 60 - which kinda sucks and looks even worse when typed out in a message. After all I've gone through though, the doctors are amazed I'm still alive. Frankly, so am I. :-)

BEST gift you'll ever give yourself! Keep fighting my friend. 10 days is AWESOME! Keep up the good fight. You're such an inspiration to everyone fighting this battle!!

-Randy
    RecklessOne likes this.

Let's see now..... day, something, 11 maybe. I'm back to work today and doing alright insofar as the WD goes.... feel pretty normal. The trade off is the back pain I experience from my lung surgery, it's worse. All I can say is life is better with a little hurt than with one's face in the dirt. :-) . I'm not turning back, so I'll just have to learn to live with the discomfort. Life is a series of trade-offs!

I slept better last night with hardly any restless leg going on. I woke up earlier than I have been, which is a good sign as I was always an early riser until I started this process (I surprised myself by waking at 11:40am on the first or second morning after going CT).

Thank you, all, for your words of encouragement!!

Hi les! Wanted to pop by and ask how u were doing? Must be day 15 or something - right? Hope your hanging in and thanks so much for the words of encouragement on my page. Much appreciated. Need to keep watching your strength as it helps me in my progress! Be well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast