• 1 Post By Beefaroni7272
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 2 Post By Worriedlovedone46
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 2 Post By Worriedlovedone46
  • 2 Post By Catrina
  • 3 Post By Worriedlovedone46
Fiance on Day 1.5 of Quitting Percocet... Any advice?
    Worriedlovedone46 is offline New Member

Default Fiance on Day 1.5 of Quitting Percocet... Any advice?

Hi guys... I've been reading some threads on here and all of you seem so helpful that I wanted to reach out and get my story out there, as well as advice for my fiance, who is currently the most miserable man I've ever seen. I'm a writer, so I apologize ahead of time for this wordy and lengthy post.

I'm 26 years old, I've never smoked a cigarette or touched a drug in my life. I don't even drink alcohol. My dad, I found out only two years ago, was a drug addict. I never noticed, and he died when I was 14. He could never quit and looking back, I now know why my parents fought so often and horribly. He was an addict and he did a lot of bad things- pawn things off, steal money from my mother (who was the one who worked, my dad had a lot of health problems outside of drugs). And eventually, he got so depressed that he gave up living and passed away in a hospital. That was in 2006.

Three years ago I met my fiance. He's older than I am, 31 years old.. He has had a rough life, his father died when he was very young, his step father was somewhat abusive, and he was always treated like a failure in his family. He has served in the army and deployed to Afghanistan. He is a disabled veteran, he has a son that he loves very much and talks to every other day, and he's also been to prison for possession. However, I met him after all of this. We hit it off really well. He's a goofball and a gentleman, and an animal lover like me. And from the start, he was very, very up front with me. As our relationship got more serious, he told me everything. That he had been to prison for a year, what for, etc. He has had a lot of slip ups, and he has been struggling with his addiction to smoking and pain killers.

We have had some rough patches throughout our relationship.

Fast forward to today. I bought a house a year ago, and he lives with me. We have 3 adorable cats, all of which betrayed me for him. And his son stays the summer with us every year. This year, my fiance has set the goal that he wants to be clean by end of April. Completely sober for when his mother and his son visit for spring break. He was on methadone for a good six months and was trying to taper off of it. However, it wasn't working. So he went back to percocet for a couple of weeks and I found out the hard way that he was using his entire paycheck every week for it because he got sucked right back in. We talked and I now have all of his credit cards and debit cards and check books. He has no easy access to money. For the past week he was trying to stick to just one percocet a day. I'd give him 20 dollars a day to regulate it. He could only get one pill with that. He decided that this weekend he would start the process of quitting cold turkey. His last pill was Thursday night before bed so he could sleep for work.

He did not get a wink of sleep last night, and he is constantly going to the bathroom. He is burning up but he feels so cold he has an electric heating blanket and a comforter over him. He doesn't want to get out of bed even though everything I have read says keeping active actually helps. He's completely miserable. There is pickup hockey later and I'm going- should I try to get him to go?

Is there anything at all that I can do to help him? How long should he expect this to last? He works as a body tech for cars and he is the only body tech at his shop. So he can't really miss work without sufficient notice... should he let his boss know he's very sick and won't be in on Monday or do you guys think he may be able to go in? And if he does stay home, should I take the keys to his truck with me to work?

Again, sorry for the wordy post. I can't help it! I feel like this may be all over the place. I'm just worried and I want so badly for him to succeed. I'm utterly proud of him for starting this process.
    Catrina and Beefaroni7272 like this.

1232 is offline Member

Do you know how much Percocet he was taking per day?

Quote Originally Posted by 1232 View Post
    Do you know how much Percocet he was taking per day?
    He said at the most he was doing 3 pills a day in recent history, and I think they were 30 mg (is it mg?) each. This past week he was only doing 1 a day.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-17-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey worried. Welcome to the forum!! Glad you've found us. As far as a timeline goes, everyone heals differently, but just a ballpark is he should have physical symptoms for for around a week or so, with symptoms peaking around day 3-5 or so and slowly getting better after that. Followed by a mental battle while his brain starts healing itself (insomnia, depression, anxiety) There are several things that you can do to try to ease his pain a little. But yes he will be miserable for a while. And everything he is going through is normal right now.

1.) The Thomas Recipe for opiate withdrawal. I can't drop a link right now but it works great. I'd stay away from the benzos unless he is already taking them from a doctor. They are very addictive and you don't want to trade one for the other.
    2.) Keep him moving. Yes he needs to stay as active as possible. I know he feels like death but getting up and moving around will produce endorphins that will make him feel better. I had to work through my detox and as much as I hated it, it was the best thing for me.
    3.) Imodium!!!! Liquid form take as directed for bathroom issues. Life saver!!! One dose would last me 2-3 days.
    4) Hydrate!!! Water and gatorade, as much as you can cram down his gullet. It will also help to flush his body of the garbage.
    5.) Eat a protein rich healthy diet. Lots of veggies. I made protein shakes with all kinds of goodies the first week and a half. It was about all I could keep down. Bananas and potassium work great for rls
    6.) Having him keep a positive mindset will help. Remind him of why he is doing this, tell him you're proud of him. (Don't baby him by any means, we like to be bossed around a bit.) But he will need your support to get through this.
    7) Hot baths/showers/long soaks/Epson salt/heating pads will help his Achey muscles and joints.

I'm sure someone else will be by to give you some more support. Just for starts that should get you started. Keep us updated on his progress, don't hesitate with any questions, there are so many great knowledgeable people on here that give amazing advice!!

Hope you have a great day.
    Beef
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome to the Forum Worried,

We can help you at least understand what's going on with your Love and what to expect. No. He won't want to go to work on Monday so have him make that call. He's going to need at least five full days to get past the worst of the physical withdrawal symptoms. How long this might last might depend on how long since he last dosed Methadone. Perocets are short acting with a very short half life. Within three days of his last dose he should be very near or done metabolizing those. The Methadone is an entirely different story. Can you tell me when his last dose of Methadone was and how much was he taking per day? That's a start and then I and others can probably give you an idea of how long this is going to be at its worst.

The symptoms you have described are classic. Inability to sleep, restless legs and sometime arms, muscle cramping, digestive distress, overall soreness and aching and then top that off with a good dose of depression and anxiety. That pretty much sums it up. Not fun. The good news is if he has been done with the Methadone for some time now, most of this will get much, MUCH better in about five days. In the meantime, get Immodium (the liquid form) for the bathroom issues and don't be afraid to use it as the package instructs, lots of hot baths to ease the aches and restless limbs, tons and tons of plain water and Gatorade or other fortified water to replenish lost electrolytes. I used heating pads wrapped around my legs moving them from time to time to my back and they really did help some. There's not much he's going to do about not being able to sleep. It's nearly impossible for at least these first five days so tell him to take a deep breath, find something mindless on TV and hunker down. Hide the clocks!! Time will absolutely slow to a stop.

Yes getting up and trying to move around really does help and honestly, it was the only thing that would give me a little relief from the restless legs. It'll be hard but ask him to try. Get up at least once an hour and walk around the house, go outside and walk around the yard for 10 minutes. Take one of those hot baths as often as he needs. I'll say again to be sure to drink, drink, DRINK. It's very easy to become dehydrated and those symptoms mimic the withdrawal symptoms making everything worse and it's dangerous. Look in the vitamin aisle for a supplement that does help some with the restless legs like Hyland's Calm Legs. It works better for some than others but most certainly worth a shot. It's cheap enough. A protein rich diet will help too. I made protein shakes by using almond milk, some raw honey, berries, a banana, some protein powder and ice cubes. Throw it all into a blender and you'll have a smoothie that's tasty and easy to get down.

He's not going to want to go out to do anything and trust me, he wouldn't have fun anyway. Either stay home with him or go alone. I absolutely would take every cent and the car keys. No guarantees because we addicts are very resourceful and thick as thieves. I'm sure one phone call and he could get something delivered. You'll know if this happens because all of a sudden he'll seem better for a while. If he stays the course, he's going to be miserable for around five days.

Finally, can you suggest that he come and read around this Forum himself? It passes the time and the fellowship found here is astonishing! I'm not sure I would have made it had I not been able to log on here day or night and read and post. It gave me strength and helped to pass the time.

Aside from going to get supplies, there's not much you can do to help at this point. Be supportive but don't hover. Play it by ear and just ask him if he wants you close by or not. Most of us just want to be left alone but don't stray far.

Hope this helps. If you have questions, ask away. The weekends are usually quite slow around here but I'll be around on and off and so will a few others. It helps to know that there's someone who understands what this is all about and to answer your questions and concerns honestly from real life experience. Best wishes. You're a doll for loving him enough to be there.

Peace,

Cat
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Ah Beef. Great minds think alike.

Touche. Mines not as well written as yours but.......i win!!!! Lol.

Thank you so much, Beef and Cat! I will make a list of everything and go to the store here shortly. I'll do my very best to get him to try and be a little active as well as eat and drink what you've both listed.

He is as stubborn as a mule so I'm not sure how successful I will be. I'll also try and get him to read and post here- for the sake of being easy, he will likely just use my account if he is willing to post and talk. I'm sure it will be easy to tell the difference who is talking. I'm a grammar nazi while he is not. He already knows of the forum... we were googling some stuff the other day and it brought us to another thread here... He's just not the online type. He barely ever uses the computer, period.

As for the methadone business... It's hard to know- he told me all of this a week ago and my memory is pretty awful, especially since I'm so stressed with worry. I am pretty sure he has been off of methadone for 2-3 weeks. 2 at the very least. His dosage on methadone.... I'm not 100% sure, but possibly 40 mg? That number rings a bell. And I think he's been doing 3-4 percs a day until this past week, where he only did 1 a day starting on Monday, since he was planning to quit cold turkey this weekend.

But yes, he has definitely got the sweats, RLS, inability to sleep, repeatedly taking hot showers (until I went out and bought that electric blanket), irritability, depression and anxiety. The depression is also outside of his drug issues, though. He was diagnosed with depression and mild ptsd at the VA not long ago. He does have medicine for depression... I'm not sure if he has taken it recently.

Thank you guys so much. Having support, even online, is amazing for me... I can only imagine how it would help him if I can get him to participate.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-17-2018 at 01:36 PM.
    Catrina and Beefaroni7272 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Worriedlovedone46 View Post
    Thank you so much, Beef and Cat! I will make a list of everything and go to the store here shortly. I'll do my very best to get him to try and be a little active as well as eat and drink what you've both listed.

He is as stubborn as a mule so I'm not sure how successful I will be. I'll also try and get him to read and post here- for the sake of being easy, he will likely just use my account if he is willing to post and talk. I'm sure it will be easy to tell the difference who is talking. I'm a grammar nazi while he is not. He already knows of the forum... we were googling some stuff the other day and it brought us to another thread here... He's just not the online type. He barely ever uses the computer, period.

As for the methadone business... It's hard to know- he told me all of this a week ago and my memory is pretty awful, especially since I'm so stressed with worry. I am pretty sure he has been off of methadone for 2-3 weeks. 2 at the very least. His dosage on methadone.... I'm not 100% sure, but possibly 40 mg? That number rings a bell. And I think he's been doing 3-4 percs a day until this past week, where he only did 1 a day starting on Monday, since he was planning to quit cold turkey this weekend.

But yes, he has definitely got the sweats, RLS, inability to sleep, repeatedly taking hot showers (until I went out and bought that electric blanket), irritability, depression and anxiety. The depression is also outside of his drug issues, though. He was diagnosed with depression and mild ptsd at the VA not long ago. He does have medicine for depression... I'm not sure if he has taken it recently.

Thank you guys so much. Having support, even online, is amazing for me... I can only imagine how it would help him if I can get him to participate.
    Glad we've been able to help. I'm sorry to say that I'm a little worried about the methadone. I'm glad I asked that question. He's probably going to have issues for longer than those five days I was hoping for. Sorry. Really, really sorry. Methadone is an absolute bear. The symptoms are the same so go and get those supplies and keep checking in to let us know how he's doing. We need to know how you're holding up too. I know just how painful this is for you.

Peace,

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Glad we've been able to help. I'm sorry to say that I'm a little worried about the methadone. I'm glad I asked that question. He's probably going to have issues for longer than those five days I was hoping for. Sorry. Really, really sorry. Methadone is an absolute bear. The symptoms are the same so go and get those supplies and keep checking in to let us know how he's doing. We need to know how you're holding up too. I know just how painful this is for you.

Peace,

Cat
    I had a feeling that would be the case. That's why he told me he stopped going to the methadone clinic- he said it's a lot worse to come off of.

The biggest worry I have right now is his work situation. He prioritizes work over almost everything. So I worry that when he realizes it won't be over before he has to go into work, he might give up because he doesn't want to miss work for fear of being let go. I can see him staying home Monday, but Tuesday may be pushing it.

And thank you! I will definitely keep this thread updated. I have nothing but time this weekend... I'll be staying with him. I have the potential to work from home, as well, if I can figure out a good excuse for my boss!

Thanks guys... Really!!

Ooh yeah, I missed the mdone first time I read it. Sorry. But yes, hard to give exact timelines, but probably a bit longer than the 5days. Like Cat said methadone is a bear. Just take it slow. One day at a time. Keep us posted.

He refuses to get up and move, but he is drinking plenty of gatorade and water... and now he has imodium and potassium supplements. Couldn't find Hyland's restful legs anywhere, though. He's also got some protein bars and bananas. We do not have a blender for smoothies, unfortunately. I'll see if I can find one for cheap, if not... might just see what smoothies/drinks i can buy... Maybe Boost?

I'm hoping tomorrow he will want to move around a little, at least give it a shot. But we'll see. I'll update you guys again tomorrow.
    Beefaroni7272 and Catrina like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Worriedlovedone46 View Post
    He refuses to get up and move, but he is drinking plenty of gatorade and water... and now he has imodium and potassium supplements. Couldn't find Hyland's restful legs anywhere, though. He's also got some protein bars and bananas. We do not have a blender for smoothies, unfortunately. I'll see if I can find one for cheap, if not... might just see what smoothies/drinks i can buy... Maybe Boost?

I'm hoping tomorrow he will want to move around a little, at least give it a shot. But we'll see. I'll update you guys again tomorrow.
    Too bad about not having a blender. You might try Boost but I'd only buy one or two. My opinion is that it's just gross. But that's me. I don't know. I eat a lot of yogurt too maybe that will work. Good that you thought to buy the protein bars.

I wish he'd come on and read. He doesn't have to post or maybe you could be his typist. I wish I could talk to him because yes, he may be down longer than he wants to be but if he can just get through this, he'll never have to do it again.

Peace,

Cat

He's actually asleep right now. He moved from the bed to the couch earlier, and he had soup for dinner. The potassium supplement seems to have helped the RLS a bit. He's still jerking but it's less.

He was a bit more talkative when I got back from my game, too. (I took all the money and his keys etc) He mentioned how he had to go through this when he had gone to prison, too... and how hard it was, yet also so easy because he had no choice. Hard because you don't have the luxury of hot showers, comfy bed, electric heating blanket and supplements... lol

I think his mentality is in the right place. He's miserable but he knows he can do it because he had been forced to do it before.

Also... I've bought 24 gatorades and he has already gone through 11. haha

I'm off to bed now. I'll post an update tomorrow!
    Beefaroni7272, Catrina and 1232 like this.

Hey worried. Just poking my head in to see how you guys are doing today. Post whenever you can

Beef