First time here. Day 4 and struggling. craving started today
    isitoveryet is offline New Member

Default First time here. Day 4 and struggling. craving started today

i'm sad and alone. tonight marks the end of day 4 with no hydrocodone in me. i hadn't even thought of stopping but had a scary experience on Wednesday morning and immediately figured out i had taken too many pills the day before, plus double dose of ambien and guess my body decided to give me a wake up call. woke up that morning, walked into bathroom and when I turned to sit on toilet the entire world started spinning and i fell. didn't hurt myself but was so scared. it was christmas eve morning and i wasn't about to call anyone to bother them with my situation.

glad i've gotten this far but today i'm starting to crave it. the first 3 days i didn't, probably because i was so scared and sick. i live alone and didn't tell anyone until day 2. i called a friend and completely broke down. admitted for the first time to anyone, even myself, that i was in trouble. so much crying. so ashamed. i had him remove all my hydrocodone, had been getting my scripts in 100's at a time, still had a couple half bottles - 10/350. but i did not have him remove the ambien - 10mg - as i've been on that much longer and didn't think i should stop everything. been taking ambien, every day, since 2004. and have been on hydrocodone, nonstop, for 3 years. started with small dosage but like everyone, i needed more, so for the past year have been taking 2 to 8 pills/day. And last 6 months probably 6 to 8 every day.

i felt so horrible the first 2 days, very bad vertigo, diarrhea, headache and body pains. after 2nd day vertigo subsided but still the diarrhea - barely today that is beginning to clear up. but more so today my body hurts, my back aches, i can't get comfortable, laying down, sitting up, moving around, can't find comfort. and today is the day that several times i've wanted the drug. i keep thinking about it and automatically begin to get up to get some and then remember they're gone. i have none.

so far i haven't stopped the ambien, have taken a half (of a 10mg) the past 3 nights but my sleeping was almost nothing -- i kept getting up, walking around, repositioning, and then this morning i had a horrible headache, which made me think it was the ambien?? this never used to happen. now i'm not sure what to do tonight. should i still take a half -- or increase, or don't take any? very confused, uncomfortable, sad, mad, and still crying. can't believe i've allowed myself to be in this situation, alone, by myself, and worried about what the coming days and nights and weeks will be. don't want to have to go through this all over again to get off the ambien. what a mess. any advice please.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there, welcome. Congrats on getting to day 4! It's not easy, I know. All the symptoms you have are totally normal for opiate WD. I doubt it has anything to do with ambien. Sleep is usually non-existent for the first 4-5 days, but if the ambien helps, take it. You can deal with tapering off that later.

Can someone come stay with you for a night or two? It's comforting to have someone there to talk to and help out. Another thing you should consider is going to a NA or AA meeting. There's so much support and comfort there.

We're here for ya. Keep posting. Don't go back to the Hydrocodone. Let the cravings pass - like a wave. The longer you stay away, the less cravings you'll have. Take a nice hot bath for the aches/pains, as well as any OTC med. Drink a ton of water. I'll check back later.

Kat

oceanrun is offline New Member

The thing to remember is everyday is closer to the end. You sound like you and your mind are ready to make a change. After about day 7; things get better - not roses, but the thorns are not as sharp any longer. Let us know how you are doing.....we all have been there many times.

Needsupport15 is offline New Member

Hi everyone this is also my first time here . First I want to say congratulations on being on day 4 . Today is my day 4 . I've been taking pain pills for 6 years now sometimes 3 lortabs at a time . It consumes my every min . Going back counting my pills wondering if I'll have enough to make it for certain occasions . I hate it . I'm trying to work while doing this . I had 3 days home but still had to try and function normal because I've kept this a secret , please advice...

isitoveryet is offline New Member

Today is day 7. And it's taken me this long to retrieve this initial post. Kept looking for it within my "account" - thought must be I had only written it and hadn't correctly posted it -- my account kept showing "0" for number of posts -- guess because i posted in forum and not support group?? was a wreck trying over and over to find it.
    but here i am at day 7. made it this far. the cravings continue. find that at least i don't have to run to the toilet as often, but still no big appetite so only bananas, egg salad, crackers and applesauce. Pain in back and legs is still the same, restlessness the same, and lots of crying. Have let many phone calls go unanswered and only replied by text. Not ready to talk to people, can't imagine explaining what's been happening to me. Humiliated, embarassed, hard for even me to understand how a professional older person (in my 50's) could let this happen. thought i knew better (which i'm sure my mom and sisters will say.) Pissed.
    a couple more questions for anyone:
    so IF i make it through this, what do i use in the future for pain relief. i actually have some pretty big issues that got me into this, back surgery, ongoing back problems, a kidney and liver disease (polycystic, growth of cysts within my abdomen.) Was always told not to use ibuprofen, because it was so hard on the liver, which was my justification for overusing hydrocodone. Just hard to think of the future without any pain medication. other concern is how to tell so many friends and family the real reason i've avoided so many people the past several months and pretty much withdrawn from any social life. still overwhelmed with this. has been a long, painful, sad week.

Sadmommy13 is offline Senior Member

I'm new too. On day 2, my deadline for myself was right after Christmas with my 3 yr old daughter. Been taking 4-5 norco for years, with the occasional bad day binge of more, sometimes oxy if I could get it. I decided a couple months ago, I have to stop doing this to my family. Been reading these forums & planning for this ever since. I took 2 hydro yesterday morning, today has gotten worse by each moment.

Just needing some encouragement. I'm scared to death, but dedicated & determined. It helps to communicate with others who understand what I'm in the middle of. Thanks for all you survivors giving the rest of us hope. This forum is what helped me decide to quit.