Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By melindau
Getting off norco
    Lynnsland is offline Junior Member

Default Getting off norco

TIA, I found this website last week when I did a quick taper out of naivete and gave myself a big shock. I'm addicted. I was going to run out of meds a few days early and thought I'd like to see where my real pain was at so I started breaking them in half. I went from using 5, 10's a day to 2, 5's. Yikes. I was convinced I was having a connective tissue flare up....the fatigue, joint aches were bad and my skin felt burned. My 5 month old pelvic and sacral fractures still bother me. So upping my prednisone was something I did reluctantly. The weather had changed and I convinced myself the flare might be a stress reaction to stopping the norco quickly. By the day my appt with the pain Doc came I'd not had anything since the am the day before when I took a Tyl #4. I really wanted to tell him sayonara, don't need to come here anymore. I caved. I didn't ask for help getting off. I let him give me 90 (10's) for 30 days. I filled it and after 3 hrs made myself feel normal again. Shoot, no denying that was the whole issue. So now I'm trying to prepare myself for the inevitable. I couldn't find tyrosine in my pharmacy so I ordered it online. I've got an L-tryptophan supplement in the cabinet that might help too. Pseudoephedrine has always helped me with fatigue. Caffeine pills? A good multi vit with B6, sublingual B12, a supplement with melatonin for sleep, Benadryl, naproxen. The Lyrica I was rx'd 5 months ago helped once overnight, was a wow thing for my pelvic fx pain but the following nightly doses didn't keep making it better and it made me dizzy so I stopped it. TG don't want to deal with that kind of wd. The Imodium? I never had that problem. Did I just not go long enough without?
    Anything else OTC I can add to fight the fatigue? I'm kinda worried that if I ask the pain Doc for help getting off this norco he'll just put me on something else that will have it's own wd issues.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-04-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Congrats on wanting to get off! I would not reccomend pseudo or caffeine. Your body is going to be in overdrive from the withdrawal, do not need to ramp it up anymore. You can make iy through the w/d. The mental battle is the hardest! Keep posting and try meetings. I know that some ppl dont like them, but they truly help! You need to come clean to your doctor and cut off your source. If he is a good doc he will help you with this process. Good luck! What day are you stopping? Keep us posted!

Here I am again. Yes, my pain is better but it's still not gone. I see my pain Dr tomorrow. The nuerontin is not worth all the se and potential wd. I'm going to continue my taper and ask him for tyl #4 >> norco. I also started accupuncture last week and will continue. I started taking adrenotone, a supplement my rheumatologist recommended. It's got 75mg of L tyrosine in it and take 3 in am. I'm having a lousy time taking hot jacuzzi baths, it makes me have horrid orthostatic hypotension. I'm wondering if taking more tyrosine will help. Any suggestions? TIA, LL

Neurontin..... Day #1 not taking it after 3 1/2 days on it. Makes me feel stoned, there is no quit to my eating, no sense of fullness. Gaining even 5 lbs is going to wreak havoc on my joints and the way my clothes do not fit. I hate to flush anything but this stuff is a tad dangerous for me to keep around...the what if I feel bad and have nothing else.

Yesterday was very frustrating. Things didn't go as planned and by the time I got home I used the neurontin. Ick, I ate for 2 hours and woke up with a headache this am. I don't want to flush this stuff as we have septic and don't want to contaminate the ground water, or make the worms mutate.

I don't remember who it was, one of the younger guys who lept 30 ft into cold water to make himself FEEL something cheerful. Well I found my cheer yesterday driving my husbands car. I punched it up a grade and it felt good. I don't advocate speeding but sheer power once in awhile is a good thing. Today I had errands to run so I took that car again and this time took along a cd I found in the garage that was lying on stuff to be garage saled. An old Michael Bolton.......found my happy spot again. It's been a long time since I listened to him. Great system in that car. An hour of driving became sheer joy. No neurontin after todays trip into traffic and urban congestion. No more neurontin. I locked it in our safe.

The Husband is offline Member

That's great you aren't taking the neurontin. Have you tapered the Norco? I would taper the Norco by dropping your dose as follows.

You can drop daily or every two days
    5mg 2x
    5mg 1x 2.5mg 1x
    2.5mg 2x
    2.5mg 1x then a small piece in the evening
    small piece 2x
    small piece 1x

Best of luck music, laughter & true fun only ways to feel better until your body resets. Tomorrow will by 60 days since I C/T off oxycontin and I can honestly say I feel better then I have in years! granted I still get the moments where I feel like day 10 all over but... its not all day when it happens it comes in waves and exercise is the best bet to overcome it.

Hi TH,
    No norco since saturday. I did cave though at my pain mgmt Dr appt today. Tyl with codeine. It's still a step in the right direction. Tyl with cod was my doc for a long time. It never gave me cravings like norco did. I was dependent on it I suppose but never abused it. Thanks for the tips.

Its wonderful that you want off, but i think it will be extremely difficult if you dont tell your doctor that you are an addict and want off. When I told my doctor it was hard, but it was the best thing I ever did. I wish I could have gone c/t, but being pregnant I wasnt able to and was switched to a clinic, but I am now tapering, come down almost 60 mg. I wouldnt reccomend methadone at all. But you are at such a low pain pill, I bet you could taper for a few days, then jump. Maybe a few days of flu symptoms, but your doctor could help manage it. Do you trust your doctor enough to tell?

Accupuncture yesterday, 2nd visit so she added cupping. Wholly cow...how do you mask healing fracture pain? You let someone do cupping and massage which makes your whole back hurt >> just your sacrum.......

Hi student13,
    Actually my PCP doesn't rx anything stronger than tyl with cod. Out here in Ca most people have to use an MD who specializes in pain management. I've been seeing one since I was in the hospital for my broken back and pelvis in May. When I see him we talk about how much pain I have and if I am able to complete my daily activities. He asks me what I want to do for pain control. So far it's been a continued taper. This might have been my last visit with him. I'm amazed at how much better I feel today than last week. Norco had me feeling antisocial? The neurontin weekend was very weird. Even yesterday my head felt spacey and it had been 36-48 hrs since the last dose. If I hadn't found this website I would not have known how risky that med was. Our well intentioned MDs try to help make us more comfortable but they don't explain the full cost.

Yeah, I dont have any experience with neurontin, but I know ppl thay take it and it can cause some very very strange symptoms, I think weight gain can happen to. I think it is even used to treat manic depression. Very odd drug, yeah I would be careful. So what dose are you on your taper now?

Hi student13,
    Tyl with cod, no more than three a day if needed. Still needing those 3. I had a full day yesterday though. Some of my daily chores are quite physical. The end of the day is getting better. Thanks for asking.

Had an oops late yesterday, took 1 1/2 tablets (can have 1 three times a day) I wanted that numb. I lifted a 50lb sack of feed. I cooked, baked, spent the day in the kitchen. Kids got crumbs all over the FR carpet after our banana muffins cooled. Ants are looking for warm homes with sugar......see how anal I can be? The frustration of having my spouse tell me to chill? I got the dyson out. I could have brought a dog in to lick up the chunks of cake and pecans? I am hoping my little blog here might help me >> my triggers? I probably could do something so that I don't run out of feed over the weekend when I don't have muscles other than my own?

">>" is supposed to be >> aka identify. Odd word to be on a block list?

melindau is offline Member

Hi Lynn
    I did a long taper also,It was easier for me...If I felt the need to take a pill I would look at the clock and say I can wait ten minutes before I take another pill and sure enough the 10 minutes would go by and then I would tell myself I can wait another 10 minutes before i would take a pill...It really helps before you know it time passes and you take less and less...there are a lot of mind tricks you can play to get you where you want to be. Hang in there dont beat yourself up but try to talk yourself out of taking that pill!!!
    and keep posting it helped me so much!!!
    Lynnsland likes this.

Frustrated again. Spent the afternoon in traffic to see a urologist about the constant dull ache in my flank. A cyst on my kidney by us last week. He says any pain that is positional is musculoskelatil and not organ pain. Did he look at my ultrasound results? Nope. Says to come back for a ua in 3-6 months. Why couldn't my pcp tell me that? So that leaves me going back to the pain mgmt dr and telling him to get rid of it without any more pills. What I don't understand? If it was just more back pain, intercostal cartilage or muscle why didn't the norco block it? More acupuncture tomorrow and will probly try the chiro she suggested. Also had a biopsy this am.....that all looks good, but will know for sure in 10 days. Kids crying about something.....

Pain medication isn't meant to block the pain completely when used therapeutically it is supposed to make the pain manageable and I think a lot of people with severe chronic pain wouldn't be able to ever fully make pain go away with opiates they would need a nerve block of some kind and even then that's a big IF.

What keeps going through my mind now? If this dull nagging ache that starts as soon as I get out of bed in the morning is a crack that just didn't get noticed? It can't be. It would be worse. Yes, TH the issue is the norco wasn't touching it. And if it's nerve pain why didn't the neurontin alter it, it altered the perception in my pelvis. I'm so tired of having to deal with this. Everything else is coming along.

Lynnsland,

I have found that with the nerve pain that I have no opiate other then oxycodone would touch it... and even then it would still flare and be uncontrolled pain at times (assume the fetal position)... I tried Lyrica and neurontin both did nothing but make me dizzy and the lyrica also made me gain weight... Lost it all after... But I would try dealing with your pain in other ways and just ride this out and see if you can still function and work etc without you could be experiencing withdrawl induced hyperalgesia or opiate induced hyperalgesia.

I am 60 something days in and still have terrible chronic pain in my shoulder/neck/arm which I was originally taking meds for, I have committed to this assess my pain level since its been a LONG TIME without opiates. I am hanging in there but my wife has been having panic attacks seeing me trying to function lol, I push through my physical issues but I think she can see through the cracks... I had the most intense migraine for almost 40 hours thought this was gonna end me... Haha but it didn't I survived to fight another day. Pray and meditation are very powerful, Set your mind free on the body will follow.

Thanks TH,
    I'm in my 3rd week with acupuncture, it's helping. I'm going to try chiro next. It's not a bad pain. Something that doesn't change or go away kinda freaks me out we've got 2 friends dying of cancer.
    I recently got an rx for a compounded cream for the occasional tendonitis in my shoulder. It's baclofen, diclofenac, cyclobenzaprine, gabapentin, tetracaine......it worked overnight. My copay was $40, the ins co was charged $1400 for the 2 containers. I'd use it on my flank pain if I could reach it.
    Migraines? Yes, here too. You don't use imitrex or one of the others?

I found a pain cream called topricin OTC works great but its expensive close to $40. I have never found anything that helps with migranes I have had a couple really bad concussions on dirt bikes thinking I need a head scan maybe?? I used to never get Migraines that lasted so long when I was younger...

Acupuncture helps me alot have you tried rolfing? It isn't for everyone but helps alot of people. It's the worst when friends/family are on their death bed but I found when someone you love is truly suffering you feel an ease when the pass...

Rolfing? The term sounds familiar but I think it's because I had a fav Roffe ski parka. It's a form of massage right? Yes, if you had a couple of bad concussions from fast acceleration-deceleration-impacts? And now you have migraines that last 40 hours? Makes the term A-V malformation secondary to tiny blood vessels that were bruised come to mind. Watch your blood pressure, lower is better, take baby aspirin. Be careful about anything that could cause mild dehydration.....alcohol, heat+sweating, excess sugar, food triggers? Probably some kind of cerebral vascular study maybe could provide clues. The other thing might be salt related. Say for instance if you eat chips, retain water.....the volume of fluid in your vascular system increases. You know that the veins in your legs have valves that make it possible for blood to climb back up and back to the heart, right? When veinous valves fail ie varicose veins people on their feet all day etc....well the brain has tiny valves in it's tiny veins too....if you cause a vein to get distended by eating salt, retaining water, that tiny valve is now in the open
    position. It can't close until the fluid volume goes down, if it can't close the blood in the "pipes" doesn't travel as it should and tissues get boggy,congested....that's the pain....when there usn't enough space for the fluid that's there. I had a neurologist friend years ago who told me one of her peers still rx'd ergotamine because it made people so nauseated they'd barf. Barfing somehow increases the pressure inside the head that it gave open valves a pressure that closed them. I believed her because It had happened to me once like that...I barfed, I heard a pop and the migraine was instantly gone. Imitrex is still better than actually barfing.
    More than you wanted to know...... and of course IF and when it becomes the worst headache of your life? Go to the ER. A bleed in your brain better safe than sorry. LL