• 2 Post By Encourage1227
  • 2 Post By Krysmith78
  • 1 Post By Encourage1227
  • 1 Post By Catrina
Going to withdraw from vicodin March 9th. Scared of withdrawal. Please help
    Encourage1227 is offline Junior Member

Default Going to withdraw from vicodin March 9th. Scared of withdrawal. Please help

I have been addicted to vicodin for 4 years. I was given by a doctor for pain. I have over used and I'm addicted to it. I'm tired of all of it and want off the train reck. My plan date is March 9th.I will do it at home with husband help. I am lucky to have time off. Im really afraid and don't know what to expect. I take 5 to 6 10/325 a day. I'm really scared but will be glad to be done with it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm scared of being sick. Thank you

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Encourage1227 View Post
    I have been addicted to vicodin for 4 years. I was given by a doctor for pain. I have over used and I'm addicted to it. I'm tired of all of it and want off the train reck. My plan date is March 9th.I will do it at home with husband help. I am lucky to have time off. Im really afraid and don't know what to expect. I take 5 to 6 10/325 a day. I'm really scared but will be glad to be done with it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm scared of being sick. Thank you
    Welcome!

You are taking 50-60 mg of hydro per day. Undoubtedly, you will feel the symptoms of a typical opiate withdrawal. Have you ever experienced a cold turkey detox before? The length of your detox is very predictable. I have detoxed cold turkey many times and each was very similar. My daily use was at least triple what you are taking now and I've survived to tell about it. I have now been clean for just over seven years so take heart, this is very doable. Here's what to expect.

Don't be afraid, get excited. You will experience flu-like symptoms and then this will be behind you. No more counting. No more chasing. Typically, I'd take my last dose at bedtime. Change your bed and put fresh sheets and blankets on it. My Day 1 had me growing a bit anxious waiting for the symptoms to kick in. I went to work which is the very best thing I could have done to keep my mind busy and to pass the time. By evening, I began to feel a bit achy so I took a couple of Motrin, a good hot bath, put my favorite most comfortable pajamas on, turned the heating pad on low for my back and went to bed. I was able to sleep for a couple of hours and then I'd wake up in full blown withdrawal. Achy and restless legs. Time for another hot bath. By mid-morning on Day 2, my symptoms would peak including the frequent bathroom trips, and little to no sleep. All of those symptoms stayed consistent for Days 2, 3 and 4. No better but no worse. Sometime on Day 5, the restless legs and aches stopped very abruptly. I was left weak and tired but the worst was over and I was comfortable. My bathroom trips stayed on for about another week but was easily kept under control with Immodium.

If you haven't seen it yet, look for the Thomas Recipe that is used by many on this Forum. It's a list of vitamins and supplements that will help ease the symptoms. These are all over the counter things that can be found at the grocery store in the vitamin aisle or Walmart. If there's something you can't find, you might try a GNC, they have a better choice. You can also find everything online. The Recipe does suggest benzos for the first few days but unless you're already taking them, DON'T. Not perfect, but every little bit helps. Before you begin, stock on water and Gatorade. Get some things to eat that are light and easy to prepare. If you have a blender, protein shakes are awesome and will nourish your body helping to feel better quicker. I use Almond Milk, frozen berries, a little raw honey, protein powder (also found almost anywhere) and ice cubes. It's important to drink as much as you can and to eat a protein rich diet.

Time will crawl so be prepared for it. Jumping on here to post and to read some really long threads was one of the only things that would help me pass the time. Sleep is going to be difficult. Accept it and don't fight it. That will only make it worse. Get up, walk around, take plenty of hot baths and watch TV. I wish I could say that I could read a book because I really love to read but to be honest, my attention span was that of a gnat and I just couldn't do it. Do your best to stay up and out of bed during those first 5 days. Do some light chores like the dishes or laundry. Get outside and walk around even if it's just around the house. It doesn't have to be a marathon. Ten or fifteen minutes is great and do it often.

The restless legs was the one worst symptom for me. Not everyone gets that, but most do. I used two heating pads set on low and did my best to wrap each around my legs moving one to my back every now and then. They did help.

This is totally doable. Five days. I always was back to work on Day 6. Keep posting and reading.

Peace,

Cat
    Sofkgtrd and Iluv2smile like this.

Cat
    Thank you for encouraging me. I will definitely get everything you suggested. I am excited about quitting this stuff and getting on with my life. I will have 2 weeks to get through this without having to work. I will keep posting as time goes on. I can't wait to be free from this nightmare. Thank you so much for replying. I feel someone is listening and that gives me strength.
    DravenDomnq and Iluv2smile like this.

Krysmith78 is offline Junior Member

You got some great advice above. Being prepared ahead of time is what is really going to help you. I agree 100% about coming in here to read posts. It will help pass the time and give you encouragement from people who have been there. I spent hours last time I was in withdrawal just reading old posts in here.

For me withdrawal had two stages. The first 5-6 days are the physical symptoms, insomnia, diarrhea, restless legs, no appetite, nausea and fatigue. Then the 2nd stage kicked in which was severe depression and panic attacks. Those went on for a couple weeks for me. Then my brain seemed to get it all figured out and I felt better. But both times I relapsed was in the emotional stage, not the physical one. Rest assured, It all passes and you will feel fantastic when you aren't spending every minute figuring out where and when your next high will be.

The advice above about not fighting the insomnia is most helpful! Just don't fight it. You won't win and you will get yourself in an upset and frustrated state. I planned ahead both times by gathering a bunch of movies which make me feel good. Nothing heavy. Watching through a silly series is fun. One night I watched all 4 Shrek movies. Another night all of the lethal weapons. Eventually I fell asleep watching the TV. But 2 hours was about max for me as far as sleep went during the first couple of nights. It is such a strange combination to experience fatigue so severe you can barely get up off the couch and yet not be able to sleep. It is just our brains trying to get the chemicals all figured out again.

Oh also, your pain will be so much worse for awhile. It makes you panic and worry that life without pain meds will be excruciating. But give your body a couple weeks. I was amazed how much better I felt after some time passed. I will always have pain, but I am learning ways to manage it without pain medication. And it is not nearly as bad as it was that first week I stopped taking Vicodin.

Please update often! I will come in and look for your posts starting on the 9th and see how you are doing!
    Sofkgtrd and Elcey like this.

Thank you for your advice. I started to tapper for the last 2 days and I'm already struggling. I don't know if I'm doing more harm to do a fast taper or just stop on the 9th. I'm struggling on the taper already. This worries me. I have to do this on the 9th no doubt about that but the fast taper is really hard when I don't have the time to take care of my self. I just don't know what I'm doing. Hoping to ease the withdrawal. I will kick this no matter what starting on the 9th. I started Prozac in hopes of this helping with the emotional part. I have promthazine for stomach cramps, Imodiam for diarrhea, Lorazapam for anxiety, all my vitamins, high protein drinks, b complex and vitamin D, lots of calming tea.
    I'm just mumbling now. Thank you for listening.
    Catrina likes this.

Thank you for your advice. I started to tapper for the last 2 days and I'm already struggling. I don't know if I'm doing more harm to do a fast taper or just stop on the 9th. I'm struggling on the taper already. This worries me. I have to do this on the 9th no doubt about that but the fast taper is really hard when I don't have the time to take care of my self. I just don't know what I'm doing. Hoping to ease the withdrawal. I will kick this no matter what starting on the 9th. I started Prozac in hopes of this helping with the emotional part. I have promthazine for stomach cramps, Imodiam for diarrhea, Lorazapam for anxiety, all my vitamins, high protein drinks, b complex and vitamin D, lots of calming tea.
    I'm just mumbling now. Thank you for listening.
    Tapering is hard! Don't be discouraged by it because you're thinking "If I can't do this, how ever am I going to go cold turkey?" The primary difference is that once you make the commitment to jump and be done, watching the clock to see if it's been long enough to take another pill and agonizing over whether you should take "just one extra, this one time" becomes a non-issue. You'll be done. Another issue, that you are discovering is that the entire time you are tapering, unless you do a very slow taper, you will experience some level of discomfort. Once you do jump, those symptoms will intensify but you will know that things will get much better in about five days.

Trying to taper quickly will only make your detox that much longer. The 9th is your Day 1, right? If I were you, I'd be careful not to increase your normal daily use, but because you're only a couple of days away, I don't see much sense in doing this to yourself. I know it makes sense that if you can lower what you're taking, even for a few days, that your detox will be a bit easier. That would only be true if you had and took the time to taper very slowly. When you take your last dose on the 8th, be sure to get rid of whatever you have left. Tell yourself you're all in and that you're going to get through this. Keeping a few "just in case" isn't an option unless that option is "in case you want to relapse". I don't think you want to do that and if they're there, it's mighty tempting to take just one to get some relief but if you do that, this could go on forever, or at least until there are no more to take,

Use these last couple of days to prepare yourself and your environment. Get the things you want to get from the Thomas Recipe, stock up on water/Gatorade, and food that you can just grab and eat or that are easy to prepare. Set up camp.

Peace,

Cat
    Elcey likes this.

Thank you Cat. I understand now. I am at 4 10/325 now with some discomfort. I'll stay at 4 until the 9th. I do worry about the time I need to take the next pill. I am traveling to see my husband tomorrow. This is where I will be able to be in a safe place to go through this with his help. I have a lot to do once I arrive to catch us up on all paperwork, bank stuff and more. I gave myself 1day to get this done before I jump. I haven't seen him in 6 weeks and feel quilty that this is how we will spend our 2 weeks together. He understands but I don't think he really knows what's involved. Being sick for a week. I'm hoping I will feel better in 3 days. Is this a possibility? I looked up the Thomas recipe and think I have it all. I'm ready because there is no going back. I want to be free of this and start living my life. Thank you for listening. I truly appreciate that you are taking your time to help.
    Catrina likes this.

Thank you Cat. I understand now. I am at 4 10/325 now with some discomfort. I'll stay at 4 until the 9th. I do worry about the time I need to take the next pill. I am traveling to see my husband tomorrow. This is where I will be able to be in a safe place to go through this with his help. I have a lot to do once I arrive to catch us up on all paperwork, bank stuff and more. I gave myself 1day to get this done before I jump. I haven't seen him in 6 weeks and feel quilty that this is how we will spend our 2 weeks together. He understands but I don't think he really knows what's involved. Being sick for a week. I'm hoping I will feel better in 3 days. Is this a possibility? I looked up the Thomas recipe and think I have it all. I'm ready because there is no going back. I want to be free of this and start living my life. Thank you for listening. I truly appreciate that you are taking your time to help.
    Sounds like you're ready. Good! Not to rain on your parade, but I wouldn't put money on being over your detox in 3 days. Perhaps 4, but things never turned around for me until Day 5. At least for me, and I think it's typical, it isn't a gradual improvement but the aches, the RLS and the anxiety ended abruptly. The bathroom issues lingered for another week or so but so long as I had my supply of Immodium, it wasn't really a bother. Around Days 4 or 5, you'll feel more comfortable but tired and weak. Much like you're just getting over the flu. I might mention that almost everyone reports having some level of anxiety both right before they jump, during detox, and immediately following. Certainly as my Day 1 approached, I felt some anxiety anticipating what I was up against--at least until my last Day 1, seven years ago. I went into it excited and committed. This taught me two things. The first was that the anticipation was far worse than the detox itself. The other thing was that I realized I was confusing cravings and anxiety. I had the heebie jeebies and chalked it up to anxiety when what it actually was was just my desire to take a pill. Take the time to feel whatever you're feeling emotionally and then figure out what it is. Does this make sense? Learning how to do this will help you in your long term recovery. Just learning to call a spade a spade, acknowledge what it is and move on.

Peace,

Cat

Cat
    Seven years! That is awesome! I am feeling a lot of anxiety right now about jumping. I keep asking myself why don't I tapper because I have the pills to do so but I want off this roller coaster. I have a lot of stress in my life and the pills calmed me down. I will return to stress after 2 weeks and need to deal with it with out pills. I have taken care of elderly parents for 5 years and lost my father in September and both my beautiful dogs. I am left to work full-time and care for a mother. I will be done with this and moving in may. It's time I live my life and stop taking care of everyone else. This is my new beginning of taking care of me.

I just got back from the Dr and confessed everything. Told her I was going cold turkey and need help. She really understands that I want off. Knowing my history with depression and anxiety she suggested a tapper plan for me. She said this would be a better way for me to get off. I will be checking in with her by email every week. I have to stick to the tapper and now I have someone other than myself to be accountable to. I was really scared to tell her what was going on. She said she knew I was struggling and glad I came to her. I feel much better about this and know I can do this. My anxiety is now low and I concentrate on the tapper.

survivalist is offline Junior Member

My therapist trick me with placebo effect initially my body resist to it but on multiple assurances i continue with them and now i am clean.....

Eavc8911 is offline New Member

Can anyone help me with advice on how to get off oxycodne! I literally just wrote a whole paragraph but my phone died and deleted everything I had to say to your topic, I'll rewrite it all tomorrow

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

Taper down gradually to a low dose if you can, and then cold turkey.

Or, if you can't taper without losing discipline, and you just want to CT from wherever you are at now, then follow the Thomas Recipe to make withdrawals as easy as possible.

There is no getting around the WD's. There is no magical answer. You have to pay the piper at some point. The Thomas Recipe might help take the edge off, but it will still be bad.

If your habit is long and huge, consider suboxone. Go to the suboxone forum on this site to learn more.

That is awesome! Good for you! I have gone from 8 - 10 10/325 to 4. Now I have been on 2 1/4 10/325 for a week. I definitely have my times that I want to say the hell with it but I won't let that side of my brain talk me into it. I woke up with one of my chronic headaches this morning and first thing I would do is grab a pill. This morning I grabbed advil called my husband and talked to him for advice. He said tuff it out or go to er for a toradal shot. I have to work today I don't have time to sit in an er. I have tuffed it out on advil and talking to myself. It was time to take 5mg so I did. First clients of the day just canceled. That's awesome news. I can go in later without the headache. I am so Damn proud of myself. I have plenty of pills that I could take but I have not wavered once from the taper. I look at the bottle and feel this is my enemy. I won't let those little f*****ers win. One day at a time.

Elcey is offline Member

That is awesome! Good for you! I have gone from 8 - 10 10/325 to 4. Now I have been on 2 1/4 10/325 for a week. I definitely have my times that I want to say the hell with it but I won't let that side of my brain talk me into it. I woke up with one of my chronic headaches this morning and first thing I would do is grab a pill. This morning I grabbed advil called my husband and talked to him for advice. He said tuff it out or go to er for a toradal shot. I have to work today I don't have time to sit in an er. I have tuffed it out on advil and talking to myself. It was time to take 5mg so I did. First clients of the day just canceled. That's awesome news. I can go in later without the headache. I am so Damn proud of myself. I have plenty of pills that I could take but I have not wavered once from the taper. I look at the bottle and feel this is my enemy. I won't let those little f*****ers win. One day at a time.
    Sending encouragement your way! Great on you - I didn't have the discipline to taper but it sounds like it's working for you. The tough part is keeping it up but you're doing really good. You certainly sound less stressed than originally. I'll watch your thread.
    Welcome, Elcey

What is placebo effect? I've never heard of this.

Default Still hanging in there

I am now down to 20 mgs a day. I am so proud of myself. I am going very slow with the taper. I have not wavred once from the taper. I talk to myself and the craving goes away. Honestly I don't have the strong craving at 20mg like I had when I tapered from 4. I am proud to say I have stuck with the taper. I will lower again next week. It's crazy but your body lets you know when it's time to lower again.
    LaurieLaSalle likes this.

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

What is placebo effect? I've never heard of this.
    Placebo effect - doing something (that "something" can be anything, but most often it is applied to like pills or medical treatment) tricks your brain into believing an effect that is not real.

For example, you tell a room full of 100 volunteers that you will give them a pill that will make them feel a bit energized and maybe a bit sweaty for the next hour and then that's it. However, you give 90 ppl the real pill, and 10 ppl a fake pill and put them all in a room and watch what happens without telliing the 10 they got a fake pill.

You survey all 100 ppl and ask them afterwards how they felt on the mystery pill. Then, you go look at what the 10 ppl that took the fake sugar pill say and of course there is little to remote chance all 10 of them will report they felt absolutely nothing nad will answer they felt exactly how you told them they were supposed to feel.

Or another example, your spouse loves caffeine and need it. One day out of the week you secretly replace spouse's coffee beans with decaf beans. You ask your spouse after the whole week is over whether they noticed anything out of the ordinary on that day with the decaf, and very likely they will answer No.

However, if you did the experiment a different way, and made her not drink coffee at all for one day instead of secretly replacing it with decaf and ask a week later how that day with no coffee went, they would probably say it went horrible and they felt super tired etc.