• 1 Post By Abc123123abc
  • 1 Post By Sadmommy13
  • 1 Post By Sadmommy13
  • 1 Post By Alex655321
  • 1 Post By Abc123123abc
Goodbye Percocet
    Abc123123abc is offline New Member

Default Goodbye Percocet

I'm 24 hours into going off 30-60 mgs of percs a day for ages cold turkey. This is the second time I've done this, and last time, many of the effects took up to five weeks (Though, at the time I was also wearing a fentanyl patch).

I've been reading so many of your stories and you've inspired me so much that I pushed my quit date up a week. I had a tapering schedule that felt pretty weak to me, so I decided to just stop. Thanks for the encouragement you provided, even if you didn't know you were doing it.

As you know, day 1 wasn't bad. I was extraordinarily emotional and maybe did some relationship damage. My anxiety was high, so I used 2 mgs of ativan. I'm so scared to use it, because I keep reading that the withdrawal is way worse. I figure if I use it for only these four days I'm in the clear. It knocked me out for a while. I imagine that's the last I'll get of sleep for a while.

Looking forward to hearing from you and receiving you signature warm encouragement!

sd8899 is offline Junior Member

I quit yesterday for the second time. Last time I quit, I was quitting both Percocet and Fentenyl. I made it two days and called in a script for just the Percocet. I've weaned off of those for two weeks and flushed the last 60 pills down the toilet yesterday morning. Last night wasn't real bad. I didn't sleep any and soaked in the tub at least ten times. The withdrawls aren't quite as bad as with the fentanyl. But still going to be bad. My wife is getting me the med for restless leg syndrome and a lot of Gatorade. I already have the Imodium and will probably have to start using it today. This time I'm going to try to eat and drink because last time I didn't eat anything and it really had me with no energy. I was told to get out and walk around as much as possible so I will try that to. Keep me informed on how you're doing. Maybe we can go through this together.

sd8899 is offline Junior Member

I quit yesterday and I know its just beginning. Good luck to you and lets try to encourage each other through this battle. If I find anything that helps with the symptoms I will let you know and you please do the same. Again good luck.

Sunshine1112 is offline Advanced Member

Abc congrats on your decision!!! Sd8 what a great attitude!! Having a buddy will help more than you know it. I still need my buddies 30 days in, and depend on them. Keep posting and I will be around to encourage you both!!
    davepeerson and Abc123123abc like this.

This isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but I think it's completely due to this forum and the Thomas Recipe. The Potassium and L-Tyrosine are helping. All of the recommendations from all of you have been so helpful.

I don't have any support here at home, but I currently have "the flu" so that allows me for some time off work and house duty. I have a good friend across the country that knows what is going on, and is calling regularly to check on me.

Sunshine, I was following your whole process. You and sadmommy were my primary motivations to stop. Thank you!

Any advice on the ativan? I am going to take it more than these four days, but should I not be taking them? I'm kind of terrified of them, but will four days be okay?

Looking forward to pushing through with my buddies!
    Sadmommy13 likes this.

Abc.. Thank you for the kind words. Ativan is fine for a few days take it. 4 or 5 days is not going to hurt and it will help get the sleep you need. Just stop taking after the four days. Mommy had Valium and enough fior 5 days.

Even though you don't have support at home you have it here!!! Stay strong!!!

Fcgaels321 is offline Member

Hi ABC, I wrote to yourfriend Boston in the other thread that they started but will post here to help in any way possible....after reading your post, it doesnt seem like you are coming off that high of a dose of the percocet, which is an awesome thing! cold turkey should only take you about 5 days, days 3-5 will probably be the worse but it will only get back after that....keep doing all that you can to keep your mind busy...going for a walk, working out, cleaning the house, whatever you can do to tire yourself out during the day and keeping your mind pre-occupied will help more than you can think....i tried to workout once in the morning and then before bedtime and that helped me the most....even if its just a few situps and pushups or going for a jog, or doing yoga, just do anything that will make you sweat...getting those endorphines going naturally is what you want to do....your body needs to heal itself so little things like that will help, and they will tire you out some....sleep for me was the one thing that took awhile to come back...i learned to just be ok with that and sat through a few different tv series that i wanted to watch and some movies that i wanted to watch...instead of laying in bed tossing and turning, embrace it and keep yourself busy....i did the same thing and stayed home with the "flu"...it took me a good week or so to feel good enough to want to get out...but i did push myself, try and get some fresh air, try and eat healthier foods....your motivation to be clean is what needs to push you....the ativan should be fine, but i wouldnt use it any longer than 4 or 5 days....you and SD should definitely buddy up and go through this together...thats what i did and it helped tremendously!! Best of luck to you guys!! YOU GOT THIS!!
    Sadmommy13 and Abc123123abc like this.

I was just thinking I was going skate through this. I was wrong. This is hard.

OMG Fcgaels321, I don't understand how you could exercise. I barely lift my arms. I'm going to lay in dead man's pose and call it yoga.

Abc try some hot baths or showers. Keep the fluids going!!
    Abc123123abc likes this.

Fcgaels321 is offline Member

Yeah, you will not be doing much skating through any of this unfortunately....you have done years of damage to your body so your going to have to pay for it a little bit....It is hard to get up and exercise but try to push yourself a little bit....but if all you wanna do is lay down and do nothing then go ahead....the first few days i didnt get off my couch so no worries if you cant....listen to sunshine...hot showers and baths will do amazing things to how you feel....and also drink plenty of fluids and try and get some healthier foods in you!
    Abc123123abc likes this.

Sadmommy13 is offline Senior Member

abc- lemme tell you, this what exactly what I needed to hear today. Inspiration is what this board gave me, so for sunshine and I to have helped you make the decision, that's another sign that fate sent me here for a reason. I never would have believed I could quit if it had not been for the support of my friends here. Totally anonymous posters, yet such an incredible lifeline to freedom from this awful disease.... the BEAST (c/o davep)

Nothing about the entire process will feel like you are skating through. Physically, you'll FEEL better soon enough. Then, you WILL feel like moving your arms, and then your legs, and AS SOON AS YOU FEEL THAT GLIMMER OF STRENGTH..... get moving. Walk in circles around your house if you have to. The longer you sit still, the longer the beast will hold you down. It is a battle, but it is one worth winning. The only way out of this trap is THROUGH it.

Ups and Downs. But although we WANT to feel better immediately, this is the way we must pay the piper for all the years we HAVEN'T been feeling the ups and downs that we are supposed to. There is so much support for you here, just keep reading, keep posting, and let it all soak in..... There is so much good advice here for people who REALLY want to be FREE! i know i do!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-29-2015 at 06:10 PM. Reason: typos
    Sunshine1112 and Abc123123abc like this.

I DON'T WANT TO!

Yes I do. I want this to be over. But I'm so tired and I can't sleep and I want soup but I can't go to the store. Should've thought of that one.

My kids will be home soon and I don't think I can handle hearing their cheerful voices. It puts me in a downward spiral. I'm terrible.

I am just so sad. If I could be not so sad... What is in the Thomas recipe for sad?

Sadmommy, you've been a HUGE inspiration to me. I'm so jealous that you're on the other side, and you make me excited that the sad will go away and I'll laugh and be clever again, even if I don't have drugs to make me laugh and sound clever. That seems unrealistic right now.

I'm so scared I'm ruining my job right now. We don't really take time off for being sick. I'm so scared and anxious about it. Thank god my teammate can help me with that. Arghhh. now I'm sobbing again for how thankful I am for him.

Remember how it feels like this is just life here on out? This is just going to be it because we don't get to enjoy the euphoria anymore? I'm so scared.

I keep trying to remember if I was funny and witty and fun to be around before. I can't remember if I was, or it was the drug. I guess we'll find out.
    Sadmommy13 likes this.

Just as the pills "made us think" that they enhanced every other feeling we had, they also tricked us into thinking that THEY were the reason we were funny, witty, enjoyable to be around. You were all of those things before the pills, you will be all of those thing after the pills.

To be honest, this is one of the most down days I have had since the first couple of weeks. And I have hit 30 days clean. I guess I expected more, and my own expectations have led to thelet down..... I AM BETTER tha I was 30 days ago, no question about it. But, The mental battle is far harder than the physical one, because the beast still controls your mind.

I know you don't wanna move. I get not feeling like faking the happy around kids. I feel so bad for my daughter, bc to her it's like "happy" mommy just checked out on her all of a sudden. But I am convinced it is for the better, for us all, in the long run. I just have to pay the price for all of the years I spent NOT feeling my emotions. Now they all come flooding back. It is a process, which does not happen over night. But it is also a process worth seeing through til the end.

Just know that the more you are ABLE to move,the sooner your body will start producing its own happy chemical again. We have been feeding them fake happy for so long, our poor sick brains don't know how to make us happy anymore. But from what I have read of the HAPPY & CLEAN survivors here, it DOES COME BACK. It's just a matter of time and patience. We as addicts, are not good at patience, part of the reason we ended up here in the first place.... take a pill, feel better within minutes, no waiting. But deep down we all know it is not real happy. Patience, time, determination.... that's what you need now. We are all on your side. The old you will be back before you know it.
    Abc123123abc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Abc123123abc View Post
    I DON'T WANT TO!

Yes I do. I want this to be over. But I'm so tired and I can't sleep and I want soup but I can't go to the store. Should've thought of that one.

My kids will be home soon and I don't think I can handle hearing their cheerful voices. It puts me in a downward spiral. I'm terrible.

I am just so sad. If I could be not so sad... What is in the Thomas recipe for sad?

Sadmommy, you've been a HUGE inspiration to me. I'm so jealous that you're on the other side, and you make me excited that the sad will go away and I'll laugh and be clever again, even if I don't have drugs to make me laugh and sound clever. That seems unrealistic right now.

I'm so scared I'm ruining my job right now. We don't really take time off for being sick. I'm so scared and anxious about it. Thank god my teammate can help me with that. Arghhh. now I'm sobbing again for how thankful I am for him.

Remember how it feels like this is just life here on out? This is just going to be it because we don't get to enjoy the euphoria anymore? I'm so scared.

I keep trying to remember if I was funny and witty and fun to be around before. I can't remember if I was, or it was the drug. I guess we'll find out.
    I kinda didn't really want to either. I was happy in my fog. But no one else in my life was. And that guilt started to wear on me. I did not realize how unhappy I was until I realized everything I was missing out on with all of them. This change is for the better. I know it feels farthest from it right now....but you can come out free on the other side! I may still be sad, instead of synthetically euphoric, sometimes..... but I am no longer ashamed, and I am no longer a prisoner. I have to keep going. We all do. Otherwise we'll end uo right back here at the starting point in a few years or less. There is no other way. You've got this.
    Abc123123abc likes this.

Alex655321 is offline Junior Member

I am on day one as well. My brain keeps telling me I don't want to quit either. I can't remember if I was a fun person to be around before the pills either. I felt bad for my son today too. I just couldn't get up the strength to play any games with him today. I told him I might be sick for a few days. I think I caught the flu from our friends. It is sad that he is used to my ups and downs. I hope I can be the good mother I used to be. I'm in a lot of pain now and am trying to get up the strength to get in a hot bath.
    Sadmommy13 likes this.

bostonscj is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Abc123123abc View Post
    I keep trying to remember if I was funny and witty and fun to be around before.
    The funniest. And the wittiest.

besides me.

Day 3. Way harder. Chills, fatigue, brain fog, pain. BUT!! None of this is as bad as I thought it would be!! For those of you that have put it off and put it off because you're terrified, the terror is way worse than the actuality. I can't believe I'm already on day three.

Oddly, my daughter caught my "flu." She was dying to stay home and take care of me. She's nine. She keeps bringing me milk to calm my stomach, soup (it's only 9:00am) and other treats. And here I thought I had no support at home.

Boston- are you sure I'm funny without it? I just can't remember.

Please keep reminding me what I do when the issues come up. I'm freezing. Warm bath, right? Maybe I'll make my daughter drag me out for a walk. It's beautiful out today. My body feels like jello, I can't imagine even trying to tie my shoes. It reminds me of when I was first pregnant.

When I think of 48 hours though, I smile. I didn't think I could do that. That makes me so happy. The smile is really weak because my muscles are so tired, but it's a smile.

Is tomorrow the day that this gets better?
    p.s. since I've been typing, she's brought me mango sorbet, yogurt, a glass of milk, a glass of almond milk, water, and toast. Amazing. I refuse to feel guilty. I've raised an amazing little human.
    Sadmommy13 likes this.

Alex,

The baths help SO much. How are you today?

abc

Quote Originally Posted by sd8899 View Post
    I quit yesterday and I know its just beginning. Good luck to you and lets try to encourage each other through this battle. If I find anything that helps with the symptoms I will let you know and you please do the same. Again good luck.
    sd - how's it going?

Hello abc! I stayed in the bath too long last night. I barely made it out of the tub. I felt like jello, but jello body was better than the pain.
    I got about 3 hours of sleep. I tried another bath today, but didn't seem to help as much. I'm thinking of getting back in the tub.
    The toilet and I have become reacquainted.lol... I still see that as my silver lining.
    I have to leave the house today, and it scares the hell out of me. I couldn't get out of bed without a pill, and it took 2 to get me out of the house.
    Ok enough negativity! I got this. Another bath first though!
    I hope you are feeling better with your little helper. My 11 year old son helped me clean the kitchen last night. That is a big deal for him. He doesn't clean anything... He even cleaned his room.
    sorry I am rambling. Going back to the tub or the toilet... which ever one calls me first.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex655321 View Post
    I am on day one as well. My brain keeps telling me I don't want to quit either. I can't remember if I was a fun person to be around before the pills either. I felt bad for my son today too. I just couldn't get up the strength to play any games with him today. I told him I might be sick for a few days. I think I caught the flu from our friends. It is sad that he is used to my ups and downs. I hope I can be the good mother I used to be. I'm in a lot of pain now and am trying to get up the strength to get in a hot bath.
    Alex- you will be an even BETTER mother!It may feel like you have checked out on your kiddo right now, but think about the lifetime of real, true, HAPPY memories you'll be able to make with him once this is all behind you. He deserves his mommy to be around for him as long as possible. So if that means, you gotta take a short hiatus in order to reach your goal.... he will not remember the hiatus. He will remember the rest of the years you will have to be happy with him. I feel the same way about putting my baby girl through this with me. But, I checked out on her temporarily for now, so that I can be there for her permanently in the future. It isgoing to pay off. I just know it.

Your right sadmommy. I lost my mother when I was 17 to this same darn addiction. I have to say, it is hard for me to find good memories of her. She almost killed me more times than I can count from her dozing off while driving. All of the embarrassing things she did in front of my friends.
    I have never come close to doing any of those things to my son. He just knows that mommy is sick a lot and moody from time to time.
    I'm doing my best today to put on a happy face. Seriously, putting on my make up..lol.. in all seriousness, I know my family and I will be better off with a clean mom and wife.

Sunshine and Sadmommy- Thank God you guys are here to offer encouragement. It's hard to encourage from this end. I'm worried I will never want to get out of bed ever again. I don't even want to stand up. That's pretty impossible with little kids.

I'm an emotional wreck. Keep picking fights, and no one here knows why. I can't eat. So nauseous.

Alex, we got this.

I have been up and down all day emotionally. Lots of crying for no reason. I'm doing better physically. I'm still in pain but it seems more bearable today.
    Hang in there. A few days of pain for a brighter tomorrow.

Abc and Alex I hope things are getting better for you today. I wanted to jump on and chexk on you two. Abc are you feeling any better today? Stay strong you shoukd be coming out of the woods anytime.

Daverss is offline Member

It seem's they have Caved in to the monster.
    All to common Here.
    I pray I,m wrong.

I think the last thing I would feel like dong is Reading & Typing after going CT.