Help! Info please BAD withdrawal symptoms
    numbOne is offline Member

Default Help! Info please BAD withdrawal symptoms

I have some knowledge of w/d and what to expect; this is way beyond me, hit's close to home as possible and is just downright scary. Hoping for some input from the board.

Some of you may know my Mom is an addict. The difficult part about that for me (beyond the obvious) is i provided her 1st Oxy30. That was about 6 years ago - it wasnt calculated. I did not know then what i know now. Plus, she is a life-long opiate user (tylenol#4 was her DOC) and my mission that day was to get her something - oxy was only thing available.

Since then ive been back and forth with the addiction. She has not missed many days - justifies by saying my life is ahead of me hers is behind, can't walk due to the the pain etc...point being is she may well be a lifetime user.

Lifetime is the key word here. How much longer can she go on?

Saturday i got an early morning phone call. She was out - didnt plan ahead and was sicker than she has ever been. She said she was vomiting blood and it was coming out her mouth and nose - almost projectile like.

Now i had to sever all my ties (hookups) to get the 30's or i'd still likely be popping them. So my only solution is i know a few friends still that get Percs, norcos, etc...so sourced a handful and gave to her. All seemed well. Been there done it before.
    So Saturday night about 12:30 i get call and it's Mom - Says she is concerned about tomorrow morning and thinks she will drive to my house and stay the night. Fine, i goto sleep. Wake up at 5am to a phone call. She sounds horrible! Says same thing happened/is happening. I say i'm calling ambulance. She says no, just come over. I say if i come, we're going to the hospital.
    I take her to the ER. They run a battery of tests - are extremely concerned about very low blood pressure. They are trying to find out all drugs she is taking etc. They also want to know about primary care (which she is in-between having physicians) only has a PM which is also a Gyno - also want info on where she fills. I give the Dr. Full disclosure, against her wishes, but's it's crazy seeing Mom in hospital bed with tubes running out here nose so i tell him she was out of Roxy, so i got her percosette - wondering if the acetaminophin is causing her problems?

At this point it's now almost 11am, i know i need to get to her place and feed her dogs and stuff, so ask the Doc and nurse if it's ok i leave? The say they will admit her for at least the night so it's fine. I sign some disclosure that they will NOT perform any experimental treatments.

2 hours later i am at her house. The bathroom truly was a mess. Not a horror movie mess, but clearly sprinkles of blood all over. Phone rings and it's the hospital. They say i can come pick here up she is being released. Im stumped.

They say the believe it was accidental, but it was an overdose. They gave her something to counter act, BP is normal or close to and she is released. I reply, two mornings in a row she vomits blood and you think it's an OD and she's good to go?" They said there is no blood in her stomach, chest, rectum...and that is what they believe happened.

When i picked her up the Dr was not available so asked the nurse for more info. Re-iterated what she said on teh phone. Added that the gave her some dilaudid so she did not go into w/d and for the bronchitis - try to get her to stop or cut back on smoking.

Mom said it was torture. She was really shook up. Said they ran bags and bags of saline? through her, did all kinds of crazy. She thinks they verified with the pharmacy ALL the meds she has been taking, made assumption and washed hands of dealing with any of it.

Could they be wrong? I mean she didnt have anything! - that's why she thought she was struggling so bad!
    Has anyone ever heard of withdrawl being that bad? I've always heard you might think you are gonna die from opiate w/d or perhaps wish, but no one ever dies.

So you may be wondering if looking at the timeline what happened today - today i call her and she is not great by any means, but nothing like the previous two. No throwing up etc...but i also know she got a few roxies.

The Husband is offline Member

I am no doctor but I was taking percocet and norco before that for break though pain and the tylenol caused me to puke blood after long term use stopped everything with tylenol and no more blood in morning if I got sick. Don't know if that is the case here just what happened to me. They have a special supplement to counteract tylenol I was given by doc don't remember the name.

Appreciate your reply. I guess it's good to know that throwing up blood is not unusual. I always thought it had to be major amounts of acetaminophen, like 4000MG to cause problems. She only had maybe 7 or 8 of the 10/325!! Anyway the uncertain part is now last night calling saying she's bleeding again, just a nose bleed this time. I say i will take her back, but now she won't go. Say's it was the worst experience of her life and she's upset i took her as now she is labeled - the release paperwork stated "substance abuse problems". Fortunately there are 3 hospitals within about 20 minutes each other. Not sure if they "talk". This is the first time ive ever had to do anything like this. Wonder if the pharmacy will now deny her next scripts?

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

OK. I'm not sure how far this will go as far as her getting meds that are prescribed. If it's one pharmacy and one PM, she may be ok for refills.Many patient records are put into a data base, I don't know if the release paper will show in the data base, though. As far as I know what the state/fed keep is a list of narcotic drugs someone is taking and any hospital or doc can pull this and usually do. The hospital easily has access to those prescription records. However, I don't know how old she is but 6-7 per 10, plus anything else she takes with tylenol is really putting her at risk for acetaminiphen overdose. This is serious as it effects the liver. She has got to come to terms with her addiction as this could kill her. Absolutely not kidding about this. Your body can only take so much. They ran bags of saline etc. for dehydration and to flush her system. I wish you all the luck and let us know what's up, numbone. I feel for you in this situation.

Rose

Thank you Rose. Grateful for your response and concern. It's a tough situation for all involved. She's 64 btw.
    So normally she takes two 40mg ER oxyContin and 4 30MG oxy (blues). She might get 30-60 percs for breakthru but mostly she is taking in pure oxycodone w/out much if any acetaminophin. Well, from what 'thehusband' wrote i gathered this from too much of the acetaminophen. This puts me in a real bind as next time she is w/out anything, i can't help her. It was just too crazy seeing her in the ER thinking "what's my part" then having husband confirm it...
    It's all coming to a head anyway. She went to her PM too quickly and immediately was questioned. She was still very bruised on her arms and such from their work. So the PM/Gyno/legaldrugdealer wouldnt give her any scripts. Concerned mostly about liability im sure - no problems taking her $250 tho! and leaving her high and dry - actually very negligent to not even taper her down. So Mom did call and explain that - and got 30 of the gold oxycontins and 30 Norcos. But when that's gone, and it's coming soon im sure, i am scared for her. She is very frail just really has not taken good care of herself. I know they say ppl don't die from opiate w/d, but a few weeks before i had tried her on subs and she had a bad reaction. It was weird like her face was real white but flushed and she had bad symptoms across the board. Thought it was the naloxen but it was the 2nd time trying her on subs and the 1st no reported problems just couldnt stick to it. But in all seriousness, as she has got deeper and deeper it's harder and harder to separate fact from fiction - so the PM may have given her more. I want to take her word for things, but it's been proven over again she will lie to protect her addiction. Both my sister and i want her in rehab. I've never had any but it was groundbreaking for my sister. Costs about 5k and we would split it, but my mom feels she needs the drugs or else no life. So if we send her, and she is unwilling, isnt just a waste?

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

If she doesn't want it, yes, it could be a waste, but from what you are telling me about not being able to get pills from her doc, she may not have a choice. You do not need to become her supplier and I'd tell her that you just can't get anything. More than likely, she is scared about living a clean life. I mean, she has to change her WHOLE life. If the PM did give her more, I don't think there is anything you can do but refuse to give her anything if she runs out and get her to the hospital. She is not thinking clearly. It is clearly negligent for the doc not to offer to help her down and that makes me angry. However, there is little anyone can do except commit her against her will. As far as the PM giving her more and her lying to you, you know as well as I do that addicts lie, deflect, act all pitiful, etc. I guess you have no choice but to watch, wait and pray. The next time she needs hospitalization try to speak up for her addiction and pray that they will admit her to rehab. It is the inevitable choice. I so feel for you dealing with this.
    Wishing you the best!

Peace,

Iloerose