Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes
Help Me Help Others
    paronirick is offline Junior Member

Default Help Me Help Others

Hi everyone. I'm new here but not new to realm of what I have come to label as PAP (Prescriptive Addictive Pills). To edit the lmy ong personal war into a short swift battle: Back Surgery 20 yrs ago, quit vicodin after back was healed but slowly fallen from grace slowly over the past 8 years. Quit last year but then my foot broke and the pills slowly started to be digested and spread like a virus. I was fooled and lied about the non addictive nature of this drug through the medical and pharmaceutical communities as you were. This drug does not know gender, race, age or religion. I'm sad to say that it loves us all. Last year I quit by tapering but this year I'm going ice cold. I need the support of those of you who have accomplished this task. I don't have much support as I do not blame those who do not understand what we are experiencing. My wife believes my dependency "Is all in your head" and that " you can stop any time". I've taken a few days off work. I go walking alot, watching movies, many hot showers. The feet are on fire. I have no sleep or appetite. I've been without any Vicodin for the past 68 hours. I need all the help I can get so one day I will come here hopefully to guide others
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey paronirick, welcome to the forum. Here you'll find a bunch of amazing people who want nothing more than to help you on this journey. We all know the pain of w/d. And all have our own unique perspective of them. Congratulations on almost 3 days. I know it doesnt feel like it right now but youre doing this. Around day 5 or so the symptoms will start to lessen and gradually get better. Have you seen the Thomas recipe for opiate withdrawal? You can google it, i cant drop a link on my phone. It has a bunch of stuff that will help you get back to "normal" faster. I'd leave out the benzos though, unless you're taking them already under a doctor's supervision. They are highly addictive and you don't want to go trading one for the other. Drink lots of water/Gatorade, it will help you flush the garbage out of your system. Stay as active as you possibly can, get those endorphins moving!! I know that walking to the mailbox feels like running a marathon but it really helps!

Get on here and read/post as much as you want or need to it really helps. Even if it's just to whine. We are all really good listeners and we are here for you!

Keep a positive mental outlook!! Do anything to keep your mind off the pain and know that it's only temporary and it will pass in time.

You can do this. We are all in your back pocket!

Keep your head up and keep on truckin!
    Beef
    Genscripts and DravenDomnq like this.

DravenDomnq is offline Advanced Member

Hey paronirick, welcome to the forums! Good on you for taking your life back!! Here's a link to the Thomas Recipe thread that Beef mentioned along with his other great suggestions. Some good info in there that's definitely worth checking out. Keep up the great work, and keep posting so we know how things are going!

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...ent-35169.html

To both Beef and Draven. I honor and value your opinion at the highest level. Strangers who leap from their own lives to help other strangers in need of help. People such as you give the humanity faith that the human race is still one of care and compassion. Today is say number four and I am still strengthening my moral stamina against my false desires. I'm fighting... That's the understatement of the newly begun year. I have most likely lost a few pounds, but I guess that's the price one pays for having lost his mind for the past few years. Dear Beef and Draven I have studied and tried the recepite before but as many have stated before the bottom line is Will Powe: To clean up and stay clean. You can buy a tge ingridients of a great meal but if you do not have tge desire to cook? I appreciate your kinds words. It means the world to me. I will go through this. That I know for a fact. What I do not realize is how I can keep the mind and the body clean? What would Rick become after cleaned up? A man of higher values or a man with broken compass? What emotional impact will I have to endure?
    Thank You
    DravenDomnq likes this.

That's what we're all here for, is to support each other! We've all been through it, and know that it's not an easy process at all. It was easy for me to get into my own head, especially when I first jumped, and wonder what my life would be like without the meds. I went through a period thinking I wouldn't be able to do anything at all, and that my compass would be beyond broken.

Life clean just kept getting better and better, and just have to take things one day at a time. It's a process, but the fact you're going through it shows how much strength you have! One thing to consider is to get some face to face support, NA or AA meetings or one-on-one counseling can only help.

We're all here for you, so know that you're not alone!!

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello paronirick welcome to the forum let me say im Proud of You for taking the steps to getting and staying clean. Congratulations day 4 keep racking up the clean days. You have got some awesome suggestions from members here. Keep reading and posting we are all here to support you.
    Again welcome...
    DravenDomnq likes this.

To both Lvg and Draven. Thank you both again. I will state my last thoughts before tomorrow morning which will be day 5. Just to hear those 3 words "I'm proud of you", literally moved me to tears. I realize from outsiders we might appear as those weak, needy and broke beings who society has London abandoned and labeled as pill poppers, but we come from every social hiarchy. We are mothers, fathers, children, brothers and sisters of a family suffers with us. I am using every drop of will Powe left in me. I have twoore days off after which I return to work. I don't expect myself to be even, 50% by then but I also want to live rather than stay home and mourn. I'm trying to do everything opposite of what my mind tells me.... Encounter every negative thought with positive and basically push forward in stead of stay still. I will document this recovery as much as I can untill I have by Grace of God, beaten my dependency. Only then I will renter this world as a helper not a user. By the way I feel a little better than yesterday. For me what is working is to keep my mind and body busy. OK everybody. Untill tomorrow which will be day FIVE!
    DravenDomnq and Lvg nghtmare like this.

Hey Draven one brain eh.lol.
    DravenDomnq likes this.

Hi everyone. It's Day 5 and no pills. It's a victory that so far I cherish dearly. Am I scared and afraid to relapse? Ofcourse. The pills are a pharmacy away but just the fact that I have access to but tge will power to reject it, makes me feel even more powerful. I know I am in it for a long long run. There was a thread before me that states detox in 8 days or something... It's absolute garbage. For people to use such headlines to get responses, it's inhumane and incomprehensible. I woukd actually encourage people to stop posting for posers and trolls. This is an epidemic of a epic era.
    Anyhow back to me, sleep deprivation is becoming an issue. I realize once the physical symptoms subside, the mental chaos will soon stick its ugly head out. That's why I try to keep both my mind and body active. I am planning to return to work tomorrow to see if work will take care of my mind exercise. As I am writing this I hear this white noise in my head and I know my brain neurotransmitters are starving for more dopamine. Many here suggest drinking lots of fluid to cleanse the system or blood from vicodin. I wish for all of us that it was that easy. If that was the case we woukd all clean up after first 24 hours. It's is the damn extra Dopamine that is now missing in our blood >>>>>>. By grace of God, if after another week, I still can't sleep, I may ask my doctor to prescribe a very mild anxiety medication. And of course I realize they are addictive as well, but besides my body, my mind also needs some healing
    DravenDomnq likes this.

Congratulations on 5 days!!! That's gotta feel good. You should be starting on the down slope of the physical stuff. But I will tell you that we all heal differently. Some people may be good in 8 days. Others it may take longer. Sometimes it's best to just get out of your own head and roll with it. Stop watching the clock.

I feel you on the no sleep thing. I jumped from suboxone after 5 long years and I was in for a bit of a rollercoaster that didn't let me off. First 3 weeks I'd say I averaged around 2-3 hours a night. Some better, but some less, a lot less like 0. I know how deflating it is. There are several things that I tried to help me sleep. (Melatonin, magnesium and zinc, even Tylenol PM) what worked best for me was a long hot shower or bath followed by Valerian root and I washed it down with a strong cup of sleepy time tea.

As far as the brain chemistry goes. I read somewhere that amino acids play a big part in healing the brain. I started taking dl-phenylalanine (DLPA) and I gotta say that it has helped out a lot! Helped with my coordination, General mood, and just made me feel more like myself. Can't describe it. But it's worth a shot. I know others have taken l-tyrosine, and l-theanine.

Have you looked into face to face support AA, NA, counseling, therapy? An addict alone is bad company. We all think we can do this alone but why should we when there is help out there and so readily available. It will help to hold you accountable and give you the tools needed to get you through and slay the beast.

You're doing great!
    Keep doing the next right thing!!
    So proud of you!
    Beef
    DravenDomnq likes this.

Hi Beef. I bow my head to you for 2 reasons: 1) The courage beat the odds and take control of this precious thing we call life and 2) Because you are still giving me the much needed humanitarian support. I'm taking lots of vitamins, L-Tyrosine, Acetyl L-Carnitine, Creatine, L-Glutamine and DLPA. Are they working? I honestly can not expect miraculous energy boos from Vitamins after altering my brain Dopamine Center. Beef what I don't get is why some of us get hooked and others don't? I've read many articles and some label is as a hereditary disease like alcoholism and others clam some are just prone to become addicted because of their other mental issues such as anxiety and depression. My dad used to drink heavily on a daily basis but I never touched alcohol. Some say well they are both drugs but I think we abuse pills to fill a void, a void that we have been unable to fulfill. Anyhow I am going to walk today for an hour, then go to the Gym, attempt to work out, come home and take a warm shower before sleep. Pray for me please. I'm really doing this and if I can do it, this might give a glimpse of hope to those who woukd like to start the same journey
    Beefaroni7272 and DravenDomnq like this.

I think heredity does play some role in the diagnosis. However that doesn't necessarily mean you will or will not be an addict. I know that for me I was raised in a suburban middle class family, my parents provided for us and we never went without our needs. I had a good childhood. Did well in school, went to college and things were good. Neither of my parents did anything more than have a glass of wine or two at dinner, and never any drugs. For me it started as a way to like you said escape. I got out of my head for a while, and I loved the way they made me feel. Before long I was drowning in my oxy addiction. I had them prescribed for a back condition, but honestly I used that as a crutch. And it got bad, quick! But that was my decision and I'm learning to deal with that.

I'm so happy for you for taking the steps to free yourself. It's a tough rollercoaster but so worth it in the end!!!

I never really knew how numbed I was over the past 7 years.

We are all so proud of you!!
    Keep it going my friend!
    It will pass
    Beef
    DravenDomnq likes this.

Dear friend Beef. With your permission I will say my last words of day five and return tomorrow. I feel as thought this could be one of the most potent life lessons. This drug which was supposedly means to lessen the pain has now become the pain itself. It is army of billions of pills that has taken full assault on our senses and emotions. I'm gonna sleep in fire if I have to, just to prove to myself that I'm much stronger that I thought I was. I'm not a big AA believer although I know it has saved hundreds of thousands of lives. For tge past few years I do not know who I have become. I do not know myself as I should. I want to feel the get to know the real Rick. The one without the codeine running in the veins. Honestly when on the pills, where is our real soul and senses? I want to find it and hold on to it. God bless ya'll. And beef... Your honesty and support is contagious. Please help others as well and I promise one day I will be your shipmate mate
    Thank You
    DravenDomnq and Beefaroni7272 like this.

Hey paronirick, just wanted to check in with you while I had a chance. Hope that going back to work isn't too much of a hassle, and that you're able to make it through.

I know you said you weren't a big believer in AA/NA, but at some point you might really want to consider some kind of face to face support. I know I had a lot of reservations before stepping into the rooms, but they really have made a huge difference in my recovery. Even one-on-one counseling might be an option to consider, just something to be able to get that support. Just a thought.

Hope today is even better for you, and that you keep hanging on. You're doing great, and we're all here for you!
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Hello my friend Draven. It's day 6 and I'm still hurting, both mentally and physically. I am trying very very hard to focus on work but I know my internal system is going through a shock. It was my naive assumption that by day 4 or 5 the withdrawal symptoms will subside but we all know what happens when we assume. My current mentality is totaly zoomed on day by day plan. I don't think too much about tomorrow but I keep telling myself "I am confident 100% that I won't use any Today". I don't worry about tomorrow. I think AA is awsome but there are people who I believe for so many reasons can't be a part of a group, whether there is shame or because of their job status or might be that they do better in an alone setting. I need you guys to tell me why I'm still getting hammered as bad going into 6th day? The darn needling in the feet is insane. Top that with lack of sleep and lack of energy and that's me on the 6th day. I won't stop as I promised but geeez... I thought I woukd get a little break by now

Everything you're going through is completely normal, and we all have to recover at our own pace. Metabolism etc. all play a factor, and while we deal with many of the same aspects of recovery, the timelines vary for each of us.

You should be almost through the worst of it, and it does get better. Took a minute for me to start feeling more "normal", but once I did each day just got better. Just have to hang in there like you're doing!
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Lamb1234 is offline New Member

DravenDomnq I just sent you an email. Please tell me you got it. I'm in real trouble. I started five hours ago reading your posts supporting lvn nightmare, I can't tell you how much the two of you have helped to just save a life. So happy to see you both here so long down the track from the posts I've been reading. What a >>>> storm I've got myself in. Sounds awful but I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Thanks you guys.
    Lvg nghtmare and DravenDomnq like this.

Hey Lamb1234. Welcome to the forum, as you can see from the posts, this is an amazing place with some incredible people who will help you on your journey. Why don't you start your own thread? There you can chronicle your journey and members will have a much easier time finding your posts and they will be able to leave advice and encouragement all in one place. Give us some background and what, how long, and what dosage you've been taking and the cavalry will come a runnin' I'm sure. This place has helped me so much on my journey getting off suboxone. And today I'm just shy of being clean for 4 months.

Start that thread, you'll be amazed at how much it helps to get it out!!
    Hope you have a great day
    Beef

Hey Paronirick. Just driving by to see how you're doing today. Post whenever you get a chance my friend.

Proud of you!!
    Beef
    DravenDomnq and Lvg nghtmare like this.

Hello Lamb, I agree start your own thread here so we can follow you and give you our experience strength and hope. As you have been reading threads if you really want this for yourself it's possible I can promise you I'm now almost 15 months clean off the garbage. Life's amazing today. This place saved my life. I'll be looking for your thread.
    DravenDomnq likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by paronirick View Post
    Hi everyone. It's Day 5 and no pills. It's a victory that so far I cherish dearly. Am I scared and afraid to relapse? Of course. The pills are a pharmacy away but just the fact that I have access to but tge will power to reject it, makes me feel even more powerful. I know I am in it for a long long run. There was a thread before me that states detox in 8 days or something... It's absolute garbage. For people to use such headlines to get responses, it's inhumane and incomprehensible. I woukd actually encourage people to stop posting for posers and trolls. This is an epidemic of a epic era.
    Anyhow back to me, sleep deprivation is becoming an issue. I realize once the physical symptoms subside, the mental chaos will soon stick its ugly head out. That's why I try to keep both my mind and body active. I am planning to return to work tomorrow to see if work will take care of my mind exercise. As I am writing this I hear this white noise in my head and I know my brain neurotransmitters are starving for more dopamine. Many here suggest drinking lots of fluid to cleanse the system or blood from vicodin. I wish for all of us that it was that easy. If that was the case we woukd all clean up after first 24 hours. It's is the damn extra Dopamine that is now missing in our blood >>>>>>. By grace of God, if after another week, I still can't sleep, I may ask my doctor to prescribe a very mild anxiety medication. And of course I realize they are addictive as well, but besides my body, my mind also needs some healing

Hi Rick -

I read your post on the other thread asking me to to take a look at your thread so here I am. I've been reading your progress, just haven't had much to add to the already great advice you've been receiving. But after re-reading all your posts I do have a couple things to say so here goes.

The above highlighted quote from you sent up a big red flag for me buddy. Afraid to relapse....oh yeah, we all are. I relapsed so many times I could never count them all. But after losing everything I owned and loved I knew I was just DONE with it all. It was like a switch flipped from on to off, and done for good. No more opiates....hopefully EVER for this guy. So I hear you on the fear that relapse is always possible no matter how hard we try to prevent it. It happens.

What scared me Rick is you saying you have pills available at the pharmacy within easy reach. And it makes you feel powerful to be able to reject them. (paraphrase). I must say that's a recipe for disaster my friend. You are not stronger than those pills, not right now at least. You have about a weeks clean time and while that's an AMAZING feat and I congratulate you sir, it's also an extremely dangerous time for any addict. You really should cut off all access to any pills you have available and call the pharmacy and tell them to cancel that script.

Your head can mess with you when you least expect it to happen. On a single day or moment a rough patch hits where something in life throws you a curve. Even though you're strong and tell yourself those pills aren't an option you'll always know they are there for the taking. Then it's just a matter of "one won't hurt" and all of a sudden you're off to the races again. Day one all over again. I've seen it happen so many times, and of course happened to me over and over. Protect yourself Rick.

As for still feeling some rough spots....Your body is trying to heal itself. It's trying to adjust to life without pills fueling your systems. Make sure you're taking your vitamins and supplements. Protein, lots of fluids, exercise of some proportion everyday, and the strong determination that you will NOT use no matter how bad your systems get. Your best friend in this is TIME. It makes all the difference. A couple weeks from now you'll be feeling so much better than you are now. t takes time for our bodies to adjust to all the garbage we put in it.

Hang in there. You are really doing AWESOME!!! You never have to use again.

Randy

First and foremost hello to my friend Beef who has been my invisible yet real source of support. It's day 7 and no pills. As I stated I start tge day by SAYING "I'm 100 sure I won't use today". Randy I say 99.9...oh let's just face it... 100% of what you are saying is right. Fear of relapse, easy access and my high expectation of a quicker recovery. These are more like burning red flags. But that's why I came here and will continue to be here to learn from the wiser men like you and beef. You are right. I will tear apart and throw away the latest prescription today but honestly the fear is still there. I'm in a lot of pain, I mean ladt night my legs were kicking each other so hard that I swear I have a bruise. But I keep fighting. I keep going for a long walk, hot shower twice a day, cling on that force we call hope. I think I've done okay going ice cold for almost a week. I have no temptation so far to take any pills. Having said that, the prescription is being tossed out today. I think coming here and reading beef's feedback or your comments is my new prescription untill full recovery. I am just a little concerned that I'm not feeling a noticeable progress especially in my leg pan and Insomnia after almost a week. Thank you guys and God Bless

Good deal! Throw that script away!! You sooo don't need another day one. Stay the course my friend. I know it doesn't feel like it now but it gets soooo much better. As far as the insomnia goes its par for the course. Sleep is usually the last thing to balance out. (Sorry) :-( And all those aches and pains are normal. Your body is having to adjust without the garbage in your system. When I jumped I felt every surgery, bump, bruise, broken bone, and compressed disk I'd received in my life. But it fades away. Tylenol actually works for pain now!!! Better than any opiates did. Those pins and needles will subside, pain will diminish, sleep will come. It just takes time. And believe me I know that's not what you want to hear right now.

Keep doing what you're doing. Hydrate, stay active, blast some music, hydrate, read, anything to keep yourself occupied, did I say hydrate??

You're doing a great job!!!
    Congratulations and we are so proud of you!
    Beef

Hello Beef and Randy. Day 7 almost over. I read and reread your comments. Beef I'm trying to use a couple of Tynenols to at least curve down the needling sensation. I can't say it stops the pain but it certainly makes it more tolerable. By now I have no muscle pain or spasm. Only physical symptoms left are the needle bombardment of my feet and headache. HOWEVER my mood is totally down for obvious reasons. To be honest when I started this journey a week ago I wasn't as much worried about the physical pain as I was about my post-pill mental condition. I have read so much about this both online and in this forum. I am shocked and surprised of the extent of the link between depression and opiates. Ask yourselves, have you ever encountered a happy, confident or a joyous person getting hooked? I think after I clean up, I am also going to revalue my own hidden demons. Right now my mind is very clouded and I'm hoping the dust will settle in a month or so. Thank you guys and God Bless

Hi guys. Rick here and on my 10th day of cleansing journey. What can I add that has not been said in these forums before? It's TOUGH period. I think only those who are in it for the long battle and do not expect a quick recovery are able to make it through. I mean it's absolutely insane to expect normalcy in a few weeks if you have abused for years and that is tge key to realize. During the recovery there is always the whisper that why suffer if the solution is a pill away? And what if I am addicted? I was doing fine with the pills! I'm depressed and down without the damn pills so maybe it was a mistake to stop? Maybe I really need them? Sounds familiar!!!! Sounds kind of logical doesn't it but it's complete BS. Mind tricks I call them. Have you ever encountered a doctor who prescribes vicodin or any other pain killer for anxiety and depression???? I do not contestant that a large number of us had anxiety or depression conditions when we were placed on the pain killers. And unfortunately those pill not only took the physical pain away but also NUMBED not controlled our mental conditions. So guess what happens when you stop the pills? The suppressed depression now floods our brain with a fury. What to do now? The answer to that question is what separates thee relapses from those who fight it through. I think getting professional help for depression might be a first step to deal with the overwhelming sad feelings. And yes.. Mind will heal itself given the sufficient support and TIME. Getting professional help, exercising, eating healthy, drinking lots of water, vitamins, saying no to the temptation of going back to pain killers, talking about it, writing about, disciform I say TIME? ..... and whatever other positive things you do. I'm going through it right as I am typing this. I'm taking my life back, my mind back and I'm putting a stop to this abuse of my own body and soul by saying no to the pills.. 10 rough days and many many more to come.
    Enough is enough
    DravenDomnq likes this.

Hey Rick. Congratulations on day 10!!! You're doing great and right where you need to be. You're absolutely right that this takes time to heal the brain and get back to a sense of "normal". I know I had to redefine what normal was. Just keep taking it slow and one day at a time. Don't look too far into the future, it'll drive you crazy. Just focus on you!! Every day clean is a blessing! The depression is just like everything else in this process, it will pass. You just need time to heal. Stick with it!!! It gets soooo much better!

Keep fighting the good fight!
    You got this!
    Beef

My friend Beef. I'm so happy to hear from you. I thought you guys had given up on me! I think I read in one you comments (or it might have been another helpful member) in regards to their inability to speak out loud or come up with a coherent sentence! Oh my... I am also facing a similar phase. I went to dinner last night with a good friend who was in need of some advice. For the life of me, I could not even mutter a few encouraging words to this man. That annoying white noise has shut down my cognitive system. I obviously understand why so I don't let things like that to stop me from prowling through the obstacles. However something else is happening which I have not read anything about it in any threads thus far. EMOTIONAL DREAMS. For the hours that I do sleep, I have these emotionally charged intense dreams that actually wake me up! I feel as though I have two lives now: Sleep and awake. At times I wake up totally exhausted from a dream that seemed more real than me typing these words. Has anyone else gone through the intense dream phase? Honestly they are taking toll on my mood because I start the day emotionally drained. Once again thank you guys.

Ahhh dreams. I had some crazy dreams for sure. Maybe around 3 weeks they started for me. I still occasionally get them, not drug dreams or nightmares, just weird dreams, really weird!! When I think back I'd say I maybe dreamt only once or twice while I was on oxy, or subs. Just didn't happen. Sober sleep is different from sleep on opiates. It's just redefining the new normal. Something we gotta get used to now that you're not numbing yourself.

I love this place, I won't be going anywhere. The mods will have to kick me out. Then I guess I can just create another account and get right back to it.

Beef
    DravenDomnq likes this.

Hi Beef and the rest of tge crew,... Randy Draven and all the good citizens of the forums. Day 12 here and I have not looked back yet. I have started to have a regular routine of exercise at the gym, walk in the afternoon after work and a long long shower. My emotional switch has been turned off since I quit. It's tough being so zombie like whereas before I was very talkative, humorous and loud. It's like people around me know something is up because they can't recognize the new Rick. For the time I don't mind it. I know for years I overestimated my brain and sensory centers. Now the brain is having a difficult time to adjust itself to the real me. As I said before it is a price we have to pay. Some name it depression, some anxiety, others panic or simply withdrawal. I think this is a very very sensitive stage of the recovery process. My plan is to allow a month or so for my mind to learn the dust. If I still struggle to continue with the down mood, I may seek professional help but not from a pain pill. Wish me luck guys. I'm doing it.

Maxheadrum is offline Member

Paronrick-

I Just finished reading your thread. Sorry for being so late to the party. Thanks for saving me a seat!

You have some amazing people that have already chimed in on your thread. These folks all know what it takes to stay in long term sobriety and as you know, they take time out of their lives to help others in recovery.

So you know, I am a recovering addict too. Today is 4 weeks and I'm sure at some point I will stop counting. But for now I take every small victory I can. Doing what you are doing takes guts and it takes determination. You are doing the right things and every little step will eventually add up to better and better days. As Beef once told me "I think our withdrawals will forever be etched on our souls". As you know, only those of us who have suffered addiction only really know what it's like to live in the addictive world and decide we are strong enough to deny it in our lives a second longer.

The best part about today for you and for me is that WE NEVER HAVE TO USE AGAIN! How amazing is that?

Keep up the good work and keep posting! It helps so very much!
    Beefaroni7272 and DravenDomnq like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast