Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ricky71
  • 1 Post By Kit87
here we go (again)
    randwick is offline New Member

Default here we go (again)

I've been using codeine daily for the past 8 years. In Australia codeine is available over the counter in packs of 30 x 12.8mg pills (these pills also have 200mg of ibuprofen in them). I have a peak use of 90 of these tablets per day (3 x packs). Any more than 90 per day and I'm probably close to overdosing. 60-90 pills per day has been my standard usage for the past 8 years. Less than 60 and I'm in withdrawal so my dependence is around 800mg of codeine per day.
    The Australian government has finally realised they need to limit the sale of these pills so now pharmacies are required to ask for ID and the details are entered into a database which every pharmacy has access to. The responsible pharmacists will refuse the sale based on how recently a pack was purchased, so lately the pills are much harder to get. Of course, some pharmacies will still sell the pills without asking for ID, and I have a couple of pharmacies that will actually sell me 2 packs per visit (against the law, but these pills have been a big source of profit for pharmacies for many years and I'm actually appreciative that they sell me multiple packs per visit as the process of obtaining enough pills to satisfy my addiction is getting quite ridiculous).
    Anyway, I'm over it. I've had enough of being addicted to codeine and everything that goes with it and I've started this thread to give me somewhere to record my progress and hopefully give others in my situation something to read and get inspiration from as I know there must be many in Australia who need to get off these things now that they are becoming so hard to get.
    I've been on suboxone programs twice in the last 8 years, but I'm not going down that path again. I found suboxone worse than codeine, harder to withdraw from, and I want to be free from dependence. I think suboxone and methadone programs have their place and are viable solutions for some people, but I found prescribing doctors to be very ignorant of each patient's different needs and I was frustrated by the one size fits all approach that my doctors were using. The thrice weekly visit to the pharmacy for my suboxone dose was humiliating and I also had a bad experience once when I was admitted to hospital and treated like a junkie (which I guess I am, but it's not the way I want to be treated anymore).
    Stopping work for two weeks and doing a full on cold turkey isn't possible, so my goal is to taper my codeine use, hopefully to a level from where I can stop completely while continuing my work. Maybe someone has a comment on whether this is a realistic goal? Has anyone done this successfully? I can put up with a mild to hard level of WD symptoms while working as I work alone the majority of the time and I can deal with general discomfort.
    The last 2 weeks I've cut my use to 30 pills per day. Yesterday I bought a pack of 30, used 24 in 2 doses of 12 and threw the rest away. It's been about 20 hours since using those 24. I bought a pack today which I haven't opened yet, but I'm feeling pretty uncomfortable at the moment, couldn't sleep today, so I will probably open that packet in the next hour or two. Again, I'll use no more than 24 and I'll toss the rest. In the past I've found it impossible to store more than 1 days supply. I end up getting greedy (which is pretty common with opiates from what I've read) and using all I have which builds my tolerance so I'll be visiting the pharmacy every day while doing this taper and just using a portion of the packet then throwing the rest away.
    Screw this addiction. I can beat this.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by randwick View Post
    I've been using codeine daily for the past 8 years. In Australia codeine is available over the counter in packs of 30 x 12.8mg pills (these pills also have 200mg of ibuprofen in them). I have a peak use of 90 of these tablets per day (3 x packs). Any more than 90 per day and I'm probably close to overdosing. 60-90 pills per day has been my standard usage for the past 8 years. Less than 60 and I'm in withdrawal so my dependence is around 800mg of codeine per day.
    The Australian government has finally realised they need to limit the sale of these pills so now pharmacies are required to ask for ID and the details are entered into a database which every pharmacy has access to. The responsible pharmacists will refuse the sale based on how recently a pack was purchased, so lately the pills are much harder to get. Of course, some pharmacies will still sell the pills without asking for ID, and I have a couple of pharmacies that will actually sell me 2 packs per visit (against the law, but these pills have been a big source of profit for pharmacies for many years and I'm actually appreciative that they sell me multiple packs per visit as the process of obtaining enough pills to satisfy my addiction is getting quite ridiculous).
    Anyway, I'm over it. I've had enough of being addicted to codeine and everything that goes with it and I've started this thread to give me somewhere to record my progress and hopefully give others in my situation something to read and get inspiration from as I know there must be many in Australia who need to get off these things now that they are becoming so hard to get.
    I've been on suboxone programs twice in the last 8 years, but I'm not going down that path again. I found suboxone worse than codeine, harder to withdraw from, and I want to be free from dependence. I think suboxone and methadone programs have their place and are viable solutions for some people, but I found prescribing doctors to be very ignorant of each patient's different needs and I was frustrated by the one size fits all approach that my doctors were using. The thrice weekly visit to the pharmacy for my suboxone dose was humiliating and I also had a bad experience once when I was admitted to hospital and treated like a junkie (which I guess I am, but it's not the way I want to be treated anymore).
    Stopping work for two weeks and doing a full on cold turkey isn't possible, so my goal is to taper my codeine use, hopefully to a level from where I can stop completely while continuing my work. Maybe someone has a comment on whether this is a realistic goal? Has anyone done this successfully? I can put up with a mild to hard level of WD symptoms while working as I work alone the majority of the time and I can deal with general discomfort.
    The last 2 weeks I've cut my use to 30 pills per day. Yesterday I bought a pack of 30, used 24 in 2 doses of 12 and threw the rest away. It's been about 20 hours since using those 24. I bought a pack today which I haven't opened yet, but I'm feeling pretty uncomfortable at the moment, couldn't sleep today, so I will probably open that packet in the next hour or two. Again, I'll use no more than 24 and I'll toss the rest. In the past I've found it impossible to store more than 1 days supply. I end up getting greedy (which is pretty common with opiates from what I've read) and using all I have which builds my tolerance so I'll be visiting the pharmacy every day while doing this taper and just using a portion of the packet then throwing the rest away.
    Screw this addiction. I can beat this.
    I'm sorry you haven't got any responses? Are you still checking this thread? You can start a new thread in the "Need To Talk" forum, there is a lot more traffic in that forum and you will surely get some good advice and support there! Take care... God bless us all!
    Toby3610 likes this.

Toby3610 is offline Member

Default You're story is very much like mine

Hey,
    Just finished reading your post. I was in a very similar situation to yourself. I was pretty well addicted to codeine and yep I would chemist shop. I am so glad that they bought the laws in Australia to try and limit Codeine usage. I was taking 3 boxs a day too. I started way to long ago and knew I had to stop. Tried so many times nd just couldn't do it cold turkey or by tapering. I had to go the Suboxone way. My doctors are really good actually. I had started to get stomach pains and it was because I was get ulcers from the ibuprofen. For me so far its working, I have had mental triggers and have craved alot but I'm also in counselling and in a 12 step group which is helping. I really hope to get of subs but I know I will relapse if my head and self worth aren't right. I really wish you all the best and everyone else to.

Kit87 is offline New Member

Hi Randwick

I have a codeine addiction. Since my anxiety levels would sky rocket, I found it easier to have some in the house just so I knew they were there, just in case I couldn't handle it. I haven't had any for 8 days and they are still in the house. Hopefully I feel strong enough to throw them away soon. Good luck with beating this
    Toby3610 likes this.