How long does the depression usually last?
    Redemption is offline New Member

Default How long does the depression usually last?

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-24-2013 at 05:13 AM.

shawn156 is offline Member

Need more info on what medication you were on what dose and how long you were on it for. Everyone is different.I don't get the depression from stopping,others do and it last from a few days to as long as a month (rare cases). I would guess a few weeks depending on what I asked above.

blada is offline New Member

Totally depends on length of habit and how much you were using and exactly what you were using. For a large long term habit it may be several months to over a year til you feel totally back to your old self. That is an extreme case, and with myself the main issue was cravings more so than actual depression. I went on suboxone and it took care of those. If you have a serious problem I would really suggest going on suboxone and staying on it for a long time, a year or so depending again on your habit. Studies have shown that even though its possible to detox within a month from suboxone and be fine physically the relapse rates are still high, staying on it longer is much safer and a much more sure thing.

You also may suffer from depression as it is very very common among addicts and it may have nothing to do with quitting. If this is the case then you need to see someone and get on an anti-depressant for treatment.]

Please post more information.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Sorry I didn't get to read your original post before it was deleted. Can you try to post your story again avoiding things that will cause the moderators here to delete it? Depression can linger on for a while and everyone is different. For some it's not an issue at all while for others it is and craving can sometimes be mistaken for depression--you want to use and can't. How depressing!

Blada--seems you're a fan of subs. Please be careful advocating the use of subs. They are a powerful narcotic and you are NOT clean when you are using them and they should only be used properly or you're apt to just jump into a deeper hole than the one you're already in with your addiction. They are not intended for long term use to prevent relapse. They are intended as a tool to get clean by doing as quick a taper as possible. Read around this Forum and the posts from those individuals who were given bad advice from their doctors by being prescribed a dosage that is/was too high in the first place and/or being allowed to stay on them for too long. Heed what they have to say about what they went thru or are going thru to get off of subs.

This Forum was a Godsend for me where I got the advice and support I needed over 3 years ago to clean up after 20+ yrs of abusing. We all have to be careful of the advice we give here and to always be mindful that what we share with others is based upon our own experience and KNOWLEDGE. Offer up support and encouragement that is always helpful. Once you read enough threads you'll learn things about which you may not have any personal experience. Such is the case with me and subs. I never used them and in fact, until I joined this Forum had never even heard of them. After reading and following so many others while they endured the nightmare that subs can easily become, I comfortably advise people to take advantage of the threads started by those who have or are sharing their sub stories. By no means am I saying that subs are always a bad idea. I just think that they need to come with a much larger warning label. This is my opinion and is based only upon the experiences of others I have met over the past 3 years right here.

Peace,

Cat

PS For those of you who know me and my posts, you also know that it's completely unlike me to criticize others' posts. However, over the past couple of days I'm stumbling upon some posts that strike me as dangerous. Is it me? Geez.

blada is offline New Member

I am new here so I still have things to learn about how this place is, but this is a subject I am passionate about and have a lot of experience with (both personal and with friends, and a lot of research).

I am sorry if some of my recent posts have sounded like I endorse buprenorphine as a positive or anything like that. All I can say is that my personal experience with it has been great and from other people I've talked to it has also helped a lot. But it is not for everybody and it is between you and your doctor.

When I went off suboxone and all my anti-depressant meds trying to get completely "clean" after so many failures for the drugs to really help my depression I ended up worse than before after several months, and after being in the darkest place in my life for awhile I had a suicide attempt and ended up locked up in a hospital wing, couldn't have shoe laces, all that. It was pretty damn bad. After that I got back on a new SSRI that finally worked and decided I needed to go back on the subs after many years of being physically clean from my >>>>>> addiction. And all that helped me a lot, so I do like to point it out to other addicts.

But if he is depressed then he should be focusing on that with his shrink. Therapy can help, and there are a lot of SSRIs that can help.

Also, I can't see how to PM you. I'd like to talk in pms about your negative experiences with subs. Thanks, and I hope I made things clearer.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hey Blada,

I don't think there is a way to pm on this Forum. The posts, I suppose, are intended to be read by whomever wants to read them and hopefully take with them something that will help them wherever they are in their addiction. Others post here because they are dealing with a dear friend or family member and are looking for advise and support.

As per my previous post, I don't have any personal experience with subs. The only things I know about them is what I've read about by researching info and what folks on this Forum have shared. The long and short of it is that it's my opinion that the advice and information provided here by people who DO have experience with subs is far truer and valuable than that which I was able to find through research. I myself put alot more stock in the knowledge gained by those who I have come to know here than from a doctor who more likely than not learned about subs and addiction in general in a classroom or worse yet, by taking an 8 hr online course to become certified to prescribe subs. But that's just me.

Please don't misinterpret my comments about your post. Everyone is different and so it stands to reason that what motivates us to get clean in the first place will differ as well as the means by which we use to get clean. What's right for me may not be right for you and vice-versa. After being a fairly active member of this Forum for over 3 years and FINALLY managing to stay clean, I have learned more than I could have ever imagined. I suppose that is the point I intended to make. Without exception folks either seek out this Forum or stumble across it because they know they have a habit and want out. The value of this site is connecting with others and knowing we are not alone. We take with us what is useful and leave the rest behind.

Please take the time to read as many threads as you can with special attention to those with sub experience. Don't skip any of the posts of those threads and you'll see a story unfold some with happy endings and some without. You will get to see yourself from someone else's perspective. The value of this Forum is sharing your story with the hope that it will help someone. In return, you will gain help by reading the stories of others.

Peace,

Cat

shawn156 is offline Member

I would never suggest subs for going off of an opiate.The withdrawals are longer and worse from what I have read here for the last year or so. If an opiate needs to be used,I would suggest Tylenol 3 with codeine. It's a very week opiate and will work for short term use to curve the depression. I used it on a detox because I had the mental fog/problems and didn't feel right when I tried to go cold turkey from a very high norco 7.5 addiction. I only used them for 6-7 weeks and got down to 1 pill per day for a week and stopped and I suffered no problems mentally.When I first started the T3's in place of the norco,I had to use imodium a few times,but I didn't get the other w/d symptoms as far as I can remember. I will only suggest using T3 as a last resort since they are so much easier to c/t from with very minor if any w/d. When I done it,my Dr was fine with giving me T3's instead of norco.I had to convince him to give me just the T3,he wanted to keep me on norco and taper down because of the w/ds and I refused to accept that and insisted on the T3 only.
    In the past when I was on Vicodin I always had Darvocet so I never had any w/d when I stopped.This was between 2006 through 2009,before they pulled darvocet from the shelves. I wish they would never of stopped making it.I do have pain still and I know darvocet would be just fine for the amount of pain I am in. I deal with it ok during the day since I am up,but when I try to sleep,my lower back hurts and I toss and turn. I'm almost to the point where I am ready to go back on norco for night time use only so I can get a good nights sleep.I am holding out as long as I can hoping it's just phantom pain and will go away soon.I am about a month clean now.

amydogs is offline Member

Hi all I just finished my taper of Suboxone was only on it to taper from pain meds after a back surgery. Not an addict but my body obviously was. Anyways I have been done for over a week I take Cymbalta for depression and prior to SUB taper I was not depressed meds work perfect. My question is will this pass or is it possible I need a different one. Its severe how I'm feeling. It feels like I'm on nothing at all? My PSY is not to familiar with SUB she itba traditional PSY MD so she is a bit baffled as well. I see her Friday and I don't know if I should wait it out or have her change me to a different one? I don't want all this med switching if it may not be necessary ya know. Has anyone experienced this. I'm scared I feel like the next sec is as hard as the one that just pasted. Depression is awful and I haven't felt this way in 20 something years I'm 42 and my medication has alwaysbworked great. Any input or advice would be so great fully appreciated ty, Blessing Amy

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by amydogs View Post
    Hi all I just finished my taper of Suboxone was only on it to taper from pain meds after a back surgery. Not an addict but my body obviously was. Anyways I have been done for over a week I take Cymbalta for depression and prior to SUB taper I was not depressed meds work perfect. My question is will this pass or is it possible I need a different one. Its severe how I'm feeling. It feels like I'm on nothing at all? My PSY is not to familiar with SUB she itba traditional PSY MD so she is a bit baffled as well. I see her Friday and I don't know if I should wait it out or have her change me to a different one? I don't want all this med switching if it may not be necessary ya know. Has anyone experienced this. I'm scared I feel like the next sec is as hard as the one that just pasted. Depression is awful and I haven't felt this way in 20 something years I'm 42 and my medication has alwaysbworked great. Any input or advice would be so great fully appreciated ty, Blessing Amy
    Hey Amy,

This thread is old so you probably won't get many replies. A few months ago I asked Ruth about depression during recovery and she gave me an insightful answer. Take a look at her reply to me. It's on her thread under Need To Talk.

If I had to guess, I would wait it out for a bit longer. You may just be experiencing the normal temporary depression that hits after completely quitting. It's possible things could turn around very soon. Just my opinion, I am certainly not saying I know for sure.

So sorry you're dealing with this.
    Kat