I am addicted to painkillers please help!!!!
    Bigscottishguy is offline New Member

Default I am addicted to painkillers please help!!!!

I want to start off with a big hello to everyone on here and to say this is the 1st time I have fully recognised that yes, I am addicted to prescription pain killers.

I Wont bore you with the details but a few horrific and life changing things have happened in the last the few years of my life, one of them being I needed pain relief, I started off being prescribed 30/500mg Solpadol (co-codamol) for the pain, the pain I started with has long since gone yet I continued taking them for the "Buzz" this snowballed and now I am taking around 400mg Lyrica (Pregabalin), 20mg Diazepam and 8 x 30/500mg Solpadol (co-codamol) on a daily basis and on occasion 50/100mg tramadol, 30mg Acupan (Nefopan), I have had severe depression and no self-worth for quite some time so I have never been worried about the damage it all may be doing to my body, a few days ago my girlfriend came across my amass of prescription painkillers and was extremely upset and amazed that I didn't see this as a problem, after some soul searching and opening up I can now say (crying) I AM ADDICTED TO PAINKILLERS.

I have joined this site not only to provide my story but also want to ask for advice as to how I can get off/away from these or any painkillers, I'm not quite at the stage of throwing them all out and going cold turkey (I still have a few stashed from my gf) but looking long term I want to be totally clean. If anybody would/could help me with this I would be massively appreciative.

Thanks very much for letting me share/get it off my chest
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-23-2015 at 05:57 AM.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Thank you for providing the list of drugs you are taking and the amounts. Are these all being prescribed by a doctor? If so that means you have access to these amounts on a continuing basis? I ask because some of these drugs should be tapered slowly.

Do you want off all of them or do you just want to get off the Solpadol? If all of them, then I recommend only stopping one at a time and give yourself time to adjust between.

If you only want off the Solpadol, there are two ways. Taper down, or go cold turkey. Some people find it too difficult to taper because if they have the pills in the house they will use them. It is easier for them to get rid of all the pills and just go cold turkey. You will be sick for around a week, then begin to get better. It's a lot faster and more straightforward to do it that way.

But other people cannot do cold turkey because it is too intense. If they can control how many pills they take in a day they can taper. This drags things out a long time, and you feel miserable, kind of semi-withdrawal, the whole time, but you never have very intense symptoms and you can probably remain reasonably functional.

What you need to do is make the decision that you will get off this drug, then make your plan. It can be fast taper, slow taper, or cold turkey.

You say you only use the tramadol on occasion. I would not take any more of that. Throw away what you have. Tramadol has opiate and SSRI effects, and if you take it regularly it is very addictive and very problematic to quit. The SSRI part can cause a long drawn out withdrawal period with strange symptoms.

If you take 20 mg of diazepam every day and have been for a while, then you should continue taking exactly that amount every day. Do not change it until you are completely off the Solpadol. If/when you decide to get off the diazepam, taper it extremely slowly. Cut small bits off the pill, stay at new dose several days, then cut more small bits off. Diazepam is a benzo and it is not good to taper too fast, and dangerous to stop suddenly all at once.

The Lyrica and Acupan I don't have experience with but because they do have effects on the brain, I imagine those should also be tapered, and again, stop one at a time, for best chance of adjusting and stabilizing.

Bigscottishguy is offline New Member

Hi Thisweekforsure, firstly I want to say thanks for replying to my post and for the information/reply. Unfortunately I do obtain most of the painkillers from my doctor by inventing new stories or injuries relating to my original injury and due to this I can get them on request fairly easily.

I was going to write I want to get off painkillers all except solpadol as I know I need them due to have recurring pain but I will re-write this as I know I am yet again making excuses.

I want to come off all painkillers once and for all and when its put this way I know the only way that I can do this would be to go cold turkey, I'm off work for the next week so I will take the plunge and start tonight/tomorrow. What roughly should I expect to experience within the next few days? Is there any pointers you could give me to just keep going? Many many many Thanks.

P.S. I have only very recently started the Diazepam, should I still follow your advice above? Thanks.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

If you really want off the solpadol and you have a week off work then I would go cold turkey. Keep all the rest the same, except if you have been on diazepam less than a month then I would try to take less than 20 mg and only at bedtime. If more than a month then yes, stay on 20 mg per day until you are ready to taper off.

You are ambivalent about the solpadol and at first wanted to stop all the others but stay on the solpadol because of your physical pain. But you think that might be excuses to keep taking it. Just be honest with yourself about your physical pain. If it is severe, you need other ways to treat it. Opiates may or may not be appropriate for you, but if possible, if you can get off them you are better off in the long run. For example, years in the future if you have other severe illness and need painkillers, they will work, but if you stay on painkillers for a long time then they are less effective for future problems. Also, be sure you are wanting this FOR YOU, not for your girlfriend.

If you get completely off the painkillers, give yourself a few weeks before deciding what your real pain level is. You might have increased pain at first, but it should settle down. Many people find that they actually have LESS pain overall when they stop the painkillers.