Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sd8899
  • 1 Post By iloerose
  • 1 Post By sd8899
I need help fast with withdrawls
    sd8899 is offline Junior Member

Default I need help fast with withdrawls

i'm in Louisiana I'm 49 years old. I got put on hydrocodone 10/325 in '98 in '99 I had to have another disc removed, in 2003 another disc removed, 2009 I had 2 disc removed and rods placed in my neck. Now, in May 2014, I had a discectomy on L5 with multiple disc still buldging in my lower back.

It's been so easy through the years to get people to think I was fine, because I was running a company, on the road working, making a good living for my family, going to church with my wife and kids and all of that stopped one day when I had realized I had had enough. If I continued at this pace, I was going to be dead, either from driving 300 miles a day while taking narcotics, or just from taking too many narcotics. I decided last year, to sell my company and retire and file for disability. I was recently approved for disability but we have gone through some hard times and had to file for bankrupt so that we could keep our house and land.

My first two children, got to know the real me. I went and did everything with them, from baseball, to softball, to cheerleading camps, horseback riding, atv riding, hunting, fishing.....and now, I can't do those things with my 14 year old because of the pain. The problem is, after the last surgery, my doctor gave me oxycodone 10/325 #120. 2 months later put me on 50 mg/24hr fentanyl patch. Being on them so long, you know that 1 is not enough, I haven't gone to church since my 2009 surgery, pointing fingers at people "he's on narcotics", I have a select group of friends that I hang out with and that's all. So...

So, not I have finally decided after numerous times trying, to quit cold turkey. I'm willing to try anything to help with the withdrawals. I can't even sit down, my wife is typing this for me. I'm starting day 3 now and not looking forward to no sleep in the future.

If you wonder what I was doing with all those meds, I was taking 15 oxycodones a day, the first 8 days of the month, I was taking 15 hydrocodone a month for the 2nd 8 days of the month, that left me 15 days in which I used the fentanyl sometimes two at a time, and would normally be out of everything a day before I could get anything else. and that is what happens after 17 years of these spinal surgeries, the pain gets worse, drugs aren't working, you take more, you like the way it makes you feel, then you take them whether you are hurting or not. the problem with all this is, I'm still in pain everyday, and I could have the same amount of pain without the meds and have my family back.

I have been kidding my wife three children, and a granddaughter for 17 years and it's time for them to have their fun loving daddy and husband back

And this is sd8899's wife. I am at this moment, the proudest I have ever been of my husband.....we have been together a very long time and I am beside him through thick and thin, support him and really appreciate any help anyone can give him. Thank you in advance!
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

The wd's are super bad today. I can't sit still anywhere. My legs are moving a million miles an hour. I wish I was like that when I played football. The only thing I know to do is go walking around our property 4-5 times. Its 1/2 mile around .property. If ya'll can think of anything I an can do to make the withdrawals less debilitating, please let me know.

Sunshine1112 is offline Advanced Member

Congrats on your decision. I am hoping you both had a chance to load up on supplies ie..Vitamins, highlands for rls, Thomas receipe, also clonidine helps. With the amount of stuff you have been taking and for as long it may get rough at times. Not just for the next week but the months to come. In the big scheme of things this is a short time to give compared to the amount of time you have to start enjoying life. At least this is what I am told.

Having the support of a spouse is invaluable and one that truly understands is even better. Many of us have the support of our spouse during wd but don't get it after that. I am still very new almost 3 weeks in although I tapered for 6 weeks as I was too scared of wd which looking back was probably the harder road. It was brutal mentally...tell you the truth it still is.

I stopped for the same reason the pain meds we're not helping any more and don't know what the point was taking them if they were not helping. Now that I am off I found the pain to be very bad and doubted my decison as to why I stopped. I thought they were not helping but maybe they actually were??? The reason I tell you this is they really were not helping and there is an adjustment for the brain to figure that out. The pain is very real and not in my head but rather the brain needs time to know it can deal with it and heal. I am still struggling with the pain but on some days it is no more than what I was dealing with before. I just wanted to post on the pain because it really has brought major challenges and doubts for me and my decison. Hopefully if you bave bad pain days after wd this knowledge will aide you in having the success and happiness you deserve.

Please know I am struggling everyday after 11 years it will take some time. I am putting my faith in my decision to stop and the support I receive that it gets better. There are so many amazing people here to help you and get you thru this....it's what keeps me going.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Congratulations on deciding to quit!!!! And hey, wife, I'm so glad you're in this with your husband. It's going to take awhile and that's no lie. Were you using fentanyl everyday? Fentanyl patches can be quite nasty, along with the other drugs you were taking and the w/d can last longer. There was a member here and I wish I could find her thread, who went through fent. w/d. There are some things you can do: First look up the Thomas Recipe, minus the valium, if you can do this w/o them, it's best as they can be very addicting.

1. For the RLS: or RBS(restless body syndrome, LOL) walking is the best thing you can do, otherwise try Hyland's restful leg, tonic water, bananas, potassium, GATORADE.

2. Magnesium: Either a high supplement on it's own or you can get a Magnesium/Calcium combination, some say this also helps the RLS

3. Hot baths, blankets, heating pads. Take as many hot baths as you need, some use epsom salts as well.

4. Liquid Immodium (has loperimide which is an opiate like substance that doesn't cross blood/brain, but will make you feel a bit better).

5. A good vitamin supplement.

6. Eat what you can, but eat well. If you can't eat try protein shakes or boost/ensure

7. STAY hydrated, water, good fruit juices (gingerale or 7-up, helps the nausea, but sparingly)

8. Melatonin, sleepy time tea STRONG, and a hot bath before bed for sleep (Insomnia is going to be a problem, but you will sleep and insomnia, while annoying won't hurt you, eventually your body will let you sleep!!! IMO insomnia is a signal that your mind is waking up after being dulled for soooooo long. Don't fight it, find something to do, even if it's just staring at the tv.)

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head right now. Stay strong. How many days in are you? This is doable, just keep reminding yourself why you are doing this and it's great that your wife is supporting you in this.

Otherwise, time. You may also find when it's all over that you can reassess your pain. Opiates replace the natural chemicals in our brains that deal with pain, so you may feel your pain increase at first (motrin or other OTC), but you may find it more tolerable a few weeks or a month from now. Because of the fentanyl, I can't give you a good time frame, but I would say around 10 days to a week, probably days 5-7 will be the worst of it, although everyone is different. STAY STRONG.

Peace,

Iloerose

Dropzone is offline Banned

Omg ,I did all that too. Broken back ,legs etc FENTYNAL ,but the 100's and same thing . You start finding ways to even open them up. Yeas dump doctor ,oh if you want faster relieve ? Just open them up and suck on the dam juice ,yuk. Then comes the being out before insurance is up,and is going to pay. Because your early in the month . Omg been there . Then to now ,seven years later .Subxone ! Most diff helped ,but now wanting to get off that too . Just to see where I'm completely at. And it's a helliva time too. Tapering from the 8's to now less then the 1 daily . Within less then two months ,but it's no joke ,either . Not sure what is rougher ,the FENTYNAL ,or the Suboxones film. Hate it all. Thanks guys/ gals

Also how do ,or where do you go,to look up this Thomas recipe,or I think you mentioned Haylan's RLS . Is that a whole set of guidelines ,or a mixture ,or tonic ,or is it another recipe,of sorts ? Etc etc please and thank you

I have to be honest ,I've tried most of these for RLS ,the pure magnesium baths ,etc. It's still bad ,omg I can't sleep ,just the worse with that . Flu like too. How far from where I am at ,till jump off point ? I went from the 8 film to cutting it down to. Little less then 1 mg . From kinda guessing anyways . Split the 8's etc etc ,4 then cut that into those little squares . Then little tench off that ,so I'm thinking less then 1? Not sure but close to that . Did this with a week to go to see this jerk of a doctor . It will be on the 20 th of this month ,jan /20/15
    So two months to get here . Oh and the Sweats? Omg it's bad too. Don't even want to go to see my daughters new set of twins because I want to play with them. And I get totally out of breath ,and those sweats . Hate it hate life . I'm 57 sucks

Also ,I see this" withdrawal ease" stuff . It work or not ? Anyone have any thoughts on that . He has it everywhere but not sure it works ?

Sunshine1112 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dropzone View Post
    Also ,I see this" withdrawal ease" stuff . It work or not ? Anyone have any thoughts on that . He has it everywhere but not sure it works ?
    Dropzone do you have a thread of your own that you started? Many have come off subs and many can help you. If you have not started one go to home page and hit need to talk or the sub catrgory and at top of page hit start new thread. I am sure you will get lots of help for your situation. I know everyone's situation and wds can be different. Keep pushing I am cheering you on.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-16-2015 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Spelling

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Dropzone, Just google the Thomas Recipe. Hyland's restful leg helps with RLS as does Gatorade and Hot baths, as I've outlined above. Withdrawal Ease is said to work for some and contains many of the herbals from Thomas, plus some. However, some feel that it is just as easy to purchase what they want separately. As far as your suboxone goes, make a thread in the Suboxone Treatment board under Prescription Drug Addiction. It sounds like you are tapering rather fast or doing your taper willy-nilly, subs can be a great TOOL if used correctly. Check out the taper plan we have here:

https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

You could start your own thread there or here. That would help us help you. Wishing you luck!!!!

Peace,

Iloerose
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

I feel like the Drs get us hooked on these drugs so we will keep coming back paying for office visits. This stuff shouldn't be given out unless for extreme cases like Cancer or Hospice. Every time I asked for an increase in dosage, he agreed to do it. They need to do a better job of regulating it and be held accountable when they are giving it to people that really only need a asprin.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-16-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Thank ya'll so much for the support. I know I'm going to need it tonight .

Just thought I would check in with yall I ended up getting enough oxycodone from the dr to wean off them and I did that and finished with the last pill on Tuesday morning at 4am. now I am on day six and this was still rough but so much better than just going cold turkey. My biggest problem in not being able to sleep, but I know the day will come when I will be completely back to my old self. My wife told me yesterday that she feels like she has her husband back. I personally can already tell my attitude has changed and I'm in a much better mode. I'm so blessed to have a wife that's understanding and is by my side all the way through this. She has been by my side since she was 12 and I was14 when we started dating. We got married when she was 18 and I was 21 and this May will be our 29th Wedding Anniversary. I have three beautiful children a daughter and son in law with their 7 month old daughter, a 21 year old son,, and a 14 year old son that is a freshman in high school. I have a lot to live for and a lot to fight for.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by sd8899 View Post
    I feel like the Drs get us hooked on these drugs so we will keep coming back paying for office visits. This stuff shouldn't be given out unless for extreme cases like Cancer or Hospice. Every time I asked for an increase in dosage, he agreed to do it. They need to do a better job of regulating it and be held accountable when they are giving it to people that really only need a asprin.
    There are problems with taking aspirin and other non-opiate painkillers long term. Aspirin (and other NSAIDS) can contribute to bleeding disorders and especially gastric problems that can even be fatal. Acetominophen (Tylenol) can destroy your liver and lead to the need for a liver transplant. For people with non-terminal chronic pain, the pain can be exactly as severe as cancer or terminal illness. A balanced view is appropriate. Each individual case should be evaluated and doctors should give whatever treatment is appropriate for that particular patient, whether it be opiate or something else.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by sd8899 View Post
    Just thought I would check in with yall I ended up getting enough oxycodone from the dr to wean off them and I did that and finished with the last pill on Tuesday morning at 4am. now I am on day six and this was still rough but so much better than just going cold turkey. My biggest problem in not being able to sleep, but I know the day will come when I will be completely back to my old self. My wife told me yesterday that she feels like she has her husband back. I personally can already tell my attitude has changed and I'm in a much better mode. I'm so blessed to have a wife that's understanding and is by my side all the way through this. She has been by my side since she was 12 and I was14 when we started dating. We got married when she was 18 and I was 21 and this May will be our 29th Wedding Anniversary. I have three beautiful children a daughter and son in law with their 7 month old daughter, a 21 year old son,, and a 14 year old son that is a freshman in high school. I have a lot to live for and a lot to fight for.
    Awesome, congratulations! You did a great job. The sleep does get better. It might take a while, for me within a few weeks it was back to normal.