Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lovelife1993
I really need to stop this and get back to living life. Want to start today
    Lovelife1993 is offline New Member

Default I really need to stop this and get back to living life. Want to start today

Hello, I am posting because I have read threads of people who seem to have the exact same problems as me and the same internal struggles. I am 23 years old and I have been taking (snorting percs) painkillers for prolly about 4 years now. It started off messing around and taking vicodin, I still snorted those and got an amazing high from just a Vic 5mg, and I loved it. It gave me energy and made me happy, the biggest thing to me is the painkillers make me content with doing ANYTHING. I could do homework and be high on painkillers and be the Happiest person in the world. At first I could take a Vic and be high for a while then the tolerance kicks in and you need more. I am currently taking perc 10mg, usually 4 day. (With taking maybe a day break in between because of money). It has come to the point where I need to quit, because it is all that's on my mind and all I want. It makes me neglect everything else in my life or not give any project my full attention because I just want the next high. I live with my parents and girlfriend and they do not know I do them like I do. (They have suspicions because some of my other family members do them.) Only people that know are a few friends who do them do and we get them together. But my other friends who don't do them (who use to be my closest friends) don't even know and I kinda neglect that relationship because I don't want them to know. Really I am just looking for support and help on how I can stop this soul sucking habit. I want to be me again, I was outgoing but like I said I am not content unless I am on perc and I hate that. I just want to stop and have tried but I failed and just end up going to get them when the going gets bad. Any advice/support is welcomed. Thank you for hearing me.
    Wanna_b_done likes this.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there, welcome.

The quickest way to get off this stuff is to go cold turkey. Taking 40 mg of Percocet isn't a big habit, although I'm sure it feels that way. The worst of the physical wd will be over by day 4 or so.

The only other option is to try to taper which is very difficult because you'll always want more. Tapering opiates is like death by a thousand cuts, whereas quitting cold turkey gets it over with quickly.

If you decide to go cold turkey, Google the Thomas Recipe (but stay away from the Valium or any benzo). Drink a ton of water. Start taking a good multivitamin. A balanced B-100 complex and L-Tyrosine will help with fatigue and energy. Don't underestimate the power of a hot bath while in wd -- it helps a lot! Take Ibuprofen or any OTC pain med for aches/pain. Get some Ensure or Boost for when you have no appetite. And get Imodium! Oh, and try Melatonin for sleep.

We'll be here to help and support you.
    Kat

FiveYearsFromNow is offline Junior Member

I second going cold turkey, and I know it would be insanely hard, but telling a friend who doesn't use about what you're going through might really help. For me, it let out a floodgate of tears on my end, and love and reassurance that I was worth something from their end. I'd hope the same kindness would be extended to you!

Believe16 is offline New Member

I agree with the comments you have recieved about going cold turkey. Your lucky your addiction isn't worse, but if you don't do something about it now then it will only get worse. I also agree with telling one of your friends that doesn't know. It's a difficult and somewhat embarrassing thing to do. It will take guts, but once opening up to someone. Lose about something that you have kept so private will help give you strength. Also if they care about you they will stand behind you. Letting someone (outside of your drug circle) know will also make your will to get sober more real. You should want to do this for yourself, but sometimes knowing someone else is keeping watch is helpful. If you have the strength to not give in. Tapering down a bit first may be helpful. I've had pill problems myself. It's not something you want to let get out of control. Stop now before it gets out of control. Know that you need to really decide and make a plan with yourself before going forward. I'm not saying that you won't have any physical withdrawals, but with the amount your on they shouldn't be to bad. I believe the worst part is the mental addiction. Your mind certainly plays a big role in addiction...good luck to you!!