Looking for help with WD's from Tramadol, using oxycodone
    Lo84nc is offline New Member

Exclamation Looking for help with WD's from Tramadol, using oxycodone

I have been taking tramadol for almost 3 years. Last year I ran out of my script and started WD's in 8/2015, I quickly was hit with WD's, all of the symptoms described by others I experienced. Panic attacks, increased heart rate, RLS, felt like my skin was crawling. My brain was zapped and my emotions were extreme. I am a young professional, I have to work, I couldn't continue. I contacted my doctor who offered to resupply my prescription and the pain went away, I eventually found a friend to supply me as the prescription ran out as well. I came here for advice, never posting just reading about others experiences. I saw another user post about using oxycodone to get off of the trams. I tapered down to 3 to 4 pills a day. I wanted to get lower but I am going to be starting a new job soon and won't be able to access the pills I might need if I got into a jam. I have 60 trams sitting on my living room table and it helps to know that I can always fall back on them if I need. I do not want to stuck on this medication anymore. It started out with a prescription and then when I went through the WD's in 2015 I knew I had to have a plan.

I have never had an issue discontinuing oxycodone ( I really do not like the feeling I get while being on it). The tramadol issue has really been being to scared to deal with the WD's when I was at such a high dosage. I never got high off of trams. I just was able to focus, the energy kept me going through my cancer. The anti-depressant parts made me okay during some of the most difficult times in my life. That being said I do not want to be on this >>>> anymore. I knew I needed a plan and I started stock piling my oxycodone and hydrocodone. Most 5mg and I am able to get more if needed.

On Wednesday I took my regular morning dose at 1.5 pills and then I took the oxy 10mg at night and I was fine. To be honest I got some of the best sleep I've had in 2 years. I felt great. On Thursday I took only the oxy 5mg, 3 times a day. I again felt fine no side effects or WD's. It is now Tuesday and I am still TRAMADOL FREE by continuing to take the oxy 5mg. I am starting to feel like I am there. My anxiety is still there and I can feel the anxiety when I am going an extended amount of time without the oxy. I plan to stop taking the oxycodone on Sunday 7/17. I was going to deal with whatever wd's I have to and see how it goes. If it gets to unbearable I will take a 5mg but keep it at a low dosage. That would make me tramadol free since 7/7 plus a few hours.

I have to work on Monday and have a long week a head. I cannot call out, I cannot be unable to function. I am on my feet all day and interacting with people I am a store manager. Do you think I am safe by 7/17 to stop taking oxy and deal with the oxy wd's starting Sunday?

Will I be wding from oxy or both at that time? The person that post about her using hydro, never really seemed to have any issues besides an upset stomach and feeling tired after two weeks off of trams using the hydro. She was able to kick it with the same minimal WD's I am experiencing. I still have some emotional moods and anxiety but I recently started taking st. johns wort and am hoping that will be in my system by the time I discontinue the oxy. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I do have to take a drug test around the first of august so I need to be off the oxy by then.

Thanks for your insight

GelatoinItaly is offline New Member

Lo84NC,
    I took tramadol along with vicodin for several years. Anytime I would run out of the tramadol it really was horrible. I ended up getting off of it while trying subuxone therapy, but did end up going back to the vicodin. Honestly, I don't think it's a great idea to use oxycodone to get off tramadol. You may be trading one problem for another. Why not just continue tapering from the tramadol with the remaining medication you have?

I think the anti-depressant component of tramadol combined with the pain reliever make it really difficult to get off. I wish you success whatever you decide.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lo84nc View Post

I have been taking tramadol for almost 3 years. Last year I ran out of my script and started WD's in 8/2015, I quickly was hit with WD's, all of the symptoms described by others I experienced. Panic attacks, increased heart rate, RLS, felt like my skin was crawling. My brain was zapped and my emotions were extreme. I am a young professional, I have to work, I couldn't continue. I contacted my doctor who offered to resupply my prescription and the pain went away, I eventually found a friend to supply me as the prescription ran out as well. I came here for advice, never posting just reading about others experiences. I saw another user post about using oxycodone to get off of the trams. I tapered down to 3 to 4 pills a day. I wanted to get lower but I am going to be starting a new job soon and won't be able to access the pills I might need if I got into a jam. I have 60 trams sitting on my living room table and it helps to know that I can always fall back on them if I need. I do not want to stuck on this medication anymore. It started out with a prescription and then when I went through the WD's in 2015 I knew I had to have a plan.

I have never had an issue discontinuing oxycodone ( I really do not like the feeling I get while being on it). The tramadol issue has really been being to scared to deal with the WD's when I was at such a high dosage. I never got high off of trams. I just was able to focus, the energy kept me going through my cancer. The anti-depressant parts made me okay during some of the most difficult times in my life. That being said I do not want to be on this >>>> anymore. I knew I needed a plan and I started stock piling my oxycodone and hydrocodone. Most 5mg and I am able to get more if needed.

On Wednesday I took my regular morning dose at 1.5 pills and then I took the oxy 10mg at night and I was fine. To be honest I got some of the best sleep I've had in 2 years. I felt great. On Thursday I took only the oxy 5mg, 3 times a day. I again felt fine no side effects or WD's. It is now Tuesday and I am still TRAMADOL FREE by continuing to take the oxy 5mg. I am starting to feel like I am there. My anxiety is still there and I can feel the anxiety when I am going an extended amount of time without the oxy. I plan to stop taking the oxycodone on Sunday 7/17. I was going to deal with whatever wd's I have to and see how it goes. If it gets to unbearable I will take a 5mg but keep it at a low dosage. That would make me tramadol free since 7/7 plus a few hours.

I have to work on Monday and have a long week a head. I cannot call out, I cannot be unable to function. I am on my feet all day and interacting with people I am a store manager. Do you think I am safe by 7/17 to stop taking oxy and deal with the oxy wd's starting Sunday?

Will I be wding from oxy or both at that time? The person that post about her using hydro, never really seemed to have any issues besides an upset stomach and feeling tired after two weeks off of trams using the hydro. She was able to kick it with the same minimal WD's I am experiencing. I still have some emotional moods and anxiety but I recently started taking st. johns wort and am hoping that will be in my system by the time I discontinue the oxy. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I do have to take a drug test around the first of august so I need to be off the oxy by then.

Thanks for your insight
    Hello and welcome to the forum. First of all as you already know Tramadol is a pretty nasty med, you're dealing with two monsters here, an Opioid effect and a SSRI effect! My personal opinion for you is to stay off the Tramadol since you haven't had any for almost a week now! If you are truly done with the Tramadol then flush them down the toilet! So you are taking 5mg of Oxy 3x/day now? A fast taper off the oxy will surely give you some discomfort and I don't think you'll want to jump off the Oxy on the 17th? As Gelato said, you are trading one addiction for another but in my opinion the Oxy is definitely the lesser of the two evils! I would stay on the Oxy and do a very slow taper if you can? That way you'll minimize any withdrawals and it will give you more time to recover from the Tramadol use? Now the tapering must be done very slow, if not you will be in a constant state of withdrawals! Also, tapering takes a lot of discipline and many people can not do it but if you can I really think that would be the best way for you in your circumstance and your history with the Tramadol use? Let us know your thoughts, questions and/or concerns? I wish you the best of luck! Take care... God bless us all!

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum. First of all as you already know Tramadol is a pretty nasty med, you're dealing with two monsters here, an Opioid effect and a SSRI effect! My personal opinion for you is to stay off the Tramadol since you haven't had any for almost a week now! If you are truly done with the Tramadol then flush them down the toilet! So you are taking 5mg of Oxy 3x/day now? A fast taper off the oxy will surely give you some discomfort and I don't think you'll want to jump off the Oxy on the 17th? As Gelato said, you are trading one addiction for another but in my opinion the Oxy is definitely the lesser of the two evils! I would stay on the Oxy and do a very slow taper if you can? That way you'll minimize any withdrawals and it will give you more time to recover from the Tramadol use? Now the tapering must be done very slow, if not you will be in a constant state of withdrawals! Also, tapering takes a lot of discipline and many people can not do it but if you can I really think that would be the best way for you in your circumstance and your history with the Tramadol use? Let us know your thoughts, questions and/or concerns? I wish you the best of luck! Take care... God bless us all!
    I agree with this 100%.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lo84nc View Post

Your experience is similar to mine. I seem to have no problem getting off oxycodone. Make no mistake, I do feel withdrawals, and I do need to time it right, but I have no problem using willpower to taper, or go cold turkey when I choose. Unpleasant but doable. But tramadol withdrawal I found to be horrific. I will never touch that stuff again. I had the same hellacious withdrawals from SSRI antidepressants and something similar from benzos. All of these drugs helped me through a terrible time in my life, but now that I know about the bad withdrawals, I vow to never touch any of those classes of drugs again. If I have another crisis in my life, I will try to get by using only a classic opiate such as oxycodone. Unfortunately the medical community does the reverse; they seem to think you're better off on an SSRI antidepressant than an opiate and from the aggregate and political standpoint in today's environment they are correct, but on an individual level, many of us have far worse consequences from a dependency on the SSRI drugs than the endorphin receptor drugs. (Obviously this does NOT apply to opiate addicts.) The endorphin receptors seem to recover far more easily than the serotonin receptors, at least in my experience. I believe I even have some permanent damage from the SSRI drugs (ongoing tendency toward brain zaps).

Having said that, we need to be vigilant. One's response to oxycodone or any opiate will change over time. What is easy to taper off from today might become very difficult years later. It's prudent to use these drugs as little and as infrequently as possible.

In your case right now Ricky put it perfectly: the oxy is the lesser of two evils. If I were in your shoes I would do exactly as he recommends. Just beware that tapering off the oxy you will have some symptoms and you might attribute some of them to ongoing tramadol withdrawal. I would say after a month off the tramadol, just discount them and don't let them prevent you from continuing the oxy taper. But slowly as Ricky suggests, unless you get fed up with it and want to jump cold turkey, but I would not do that until AT LEAST a month out.