• 1 Post By dsh12345
  • 3 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By dsh12345
  • 1 Post By Randy35
Lyrica
    Mike1966 is offline New Member

Default Lyrica

Looking for some opinions.

Long story short. After 6 years of oxy and hydro use, I went cold turkey and am now on day 16. The back pain returned in full force and I went to my primary care doctor for advice (not pain management). I told him I am no longer using opiates for pain and I told him why. I gave him the full story about becoming addicted and my life spiraling out of control.

He prescribed Lyrica for my chronic pain. So for, it seams to be working.

My question is am I trading one habit for another? Looking for some advice.

Thanks,

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

Lyrica is similar to gabapentin, it's like a newer generation gabapentin.

It is non-habit forming, non-addictive, and your body won't build a massive tolerance to it over time like it does with opiates. For the most part, what you would read from official sources is that it is a safe drug to take chronically and long-term and NOTHING like opiates in terms of addictive potential and tolerance building potential.

To put it another way, I think if you tried to Google it, you would be very hard pressed to find threads out there with ppl stuck on Lyrica and unable to get off, and if you did, odds are it's very likely to be a purely 99% psychological addiction as opposed to an actual physical and pscyhological one that opiates are; compare this to the thousands upon thousands of threads you would find of ppl stuck on opiates and unable to get off... which is a very very real problem.

The disclaimer being of course I am hesitant to say that ANYTHING can have an addictive potential of absolute zero..... ppl get addicted to all kinds of crazy things like purging after eating with bulimics, not eating at all with anorexics, hell even ppl get psychological addictions to things like benadryl.

If lyrica is able to replace the relief that opiates used to provide, then that is a very good thing.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-19-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    Mike1966 likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsh12345 View Post
    Lyrica is similar to gabapentin, it's like a newer generation gabapentin.

It is non-habit forming, non-addictive, and your body won't build a massive tolerance to it over time like it does with opiates. For the most part, what you would read from official sources is that it is a safe drug to take chronically and long-term and NOTHING like opiates in terms of addictive potential and tolerance building potential.

To put it another way, I think if you tried to Google it, you would be very hard pressed to find threads out there with ppl stuck on Lyrica and unable to get off, and if you did, odds are it's very likely to be a purely 99% psychological addiction as opposed to an actual physical and pscyhological one that opiates are; compare this to the thousands upon thousands of threads you would find of ppl stuck on opiates and unable to get off... which is a very very real problem.

The disclaimer being of course I am hesitant to say that ANYTHING can have an addictive potential of absolute zero..... ppl get addicted to all kinds of crazy things like purging after eating with bulimics, not eating at all with anorexics, hell even ppl get psychological addictions to things like benadryl.

If lyrica is able to replace the relief that opiates used to provide, then that is a very good thing.

Dsh -

No disrespect and not attempting any kind of argument, but the highlighted quote about about Lyrica not being addictive is simply incorrect. Don't know if you've used it or not, but I certainly have. I was just as addicted to Lyrica as I was any other opiate. And once I stopped I had just as severe of wd's as I had stopping any opiate.

Lyrica in my opinion is almost the same as Tramadol/Ultram is. Tramadol was thought to be perfectly safe and non-addictive when it first came out. I was on that too and addicted also highlt addicted. Now Tramadol is a scheduled 4 narcotic. In speaking to several doctors I'm betting that Tramadol will be placed in that class too very soon.

Just my two cents.

Randy
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-19-2017 at 05:46 PM.
    Lvg nghtmare, Catrina and Mike1966 like this.

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Randy35 View Post
    Dsh -

No disrespect and not attempting any kind of argument, but the highlighted quote about about Lyrica not being addictive is simply incorrect. Don't know if you've used it or not, but I certainly have. I was just as addicted to Lyrica as I was any other opiate. And once I stopped I had just as severe of wd's as I had stopping any opiate.

Lyrica in my opinion is almost the same as Tramadol/Ultram is. Tramadol was thought to be perfectly safe and non-addictive when it first came out. I was on that too and addicted also highlt addicted. Now Tramadol is a scheduled 4 narcotic. In speaking to several doctors I'm betting that Tramadol will be placed in that class too very soon.

Just my two cents.

Randy

We can agree to disagree. Officially, it is nonhabit forming and safe to take chronically. Unofficially, ppl such as Randy have reported it can be habit forming, as I'm sure you could google other such stories affirming this fact if you wanted to.. However, my opinion is that it is nothing like opiates in terms of getting a high, quickly building tolerance, and the very long and grueling recovery to get off once dependent.

At the end of the day, talk to your doc, do your own research, and make your own decision on what you want to do with the Lyrica longterm. You have seen 2 sides to the story, and the answer of course probably lies somewhere in the middle. Educate yourself, and make an informed decision going forward.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-20-2017 at 12:25 PM.
    Mike1966 likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsh12345 View Post
    We can agree to disagree. Officially, it is nonhabit forming and safe to take chronically. Unofficially, ppl such as Randy have reported it can be habit forming, as I'm sure you could google other such stories affirming this fact if you wanted to.. However, my opinion is that it is nothing like opiates in terms of getting a high, quickly building tolerance, and the very long and grueling recovery to get off once dependent.

At the end of the day, talk to your doc, do your own research, and make your own decision on what you want to do with the Lyrica longterm. You have seen 2 sides to the story, and the answer of course probably lies somewhere in the middle. Educate yourself, and make an informed decision going forward.

I promise you I'm correct about this. I'm not the only one that knows for a FACT Lyrica is habit forming and will cause wd's just as an opiate will. I could get you a hundred people to substantiate my claim. I had found some Lyrcia and was told that it would halt my opiate wd's. And it did just that. Every single time I ran out of my drug of choice I went right to the Lyrica. It stopped those wd's immediately. When I couldn't get any drugs for a length of time I kept taking the Lyrica. I didn't necessarily feel high, but I never had wd's from the opiates either. Once I stopped the Lyrica I found out just how bad it was. I had just as severe of wd's as I did stopping Oxy, Vicodin, etc, etc. It was HORRIBLE.

So I know for an absolute fact Lyrica can be habit forming and addictive. And I'm not the only one. Others have been here reporting the same thing in the past. Yes, it's listed as safe and effective for several causes. So was Tramadol. And I'm sure that if taken in moderation and for a short period of time it will be safe. But so is Oxy and Vicodin if used in that manner. But you get to LIKE this drug and that's when problems occur. It sneaks up on you and before you know it you're in trouble.

Just be EXTRA careful if you take this drug.

Randy
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.