My RX-ing Dr. taking me from Hydros bc of new Law to Oxycontin Time Release?
    mkan54 is offline Junior Member

Default My RX-ing Dr. taking me from Hydros bc of new Law to Oxycontin Time Release?

i had been taking Hydro for years and years due to 6 lumbar back surgeries (fusions with hardware), lung cancer surgery and breaking 5 ribs in Dec. 2013.
    So my current RXing doctor is bound and determined to not refill any more Hydrocodone for me anymore. He tried to get me to do the BuTrans Patch, but my insurance denied it..

Now, as of today, he is RX-ing me 10mg Oxycontin Time Release twice per day. He says I am supposed to call him the 1st week to let him know if I have "break-through" pain and then he'll give me something for that.

Due to the new laws on Hydro going to a wet script on Oct. 6th, he does not want to RX me anymore for that. He says they are only used for "acute" pain, like breaking your leg, etc. After that, if you have long-term pain, he needs to look good by getting me OFF the Hydros and finding another way to manage my pain...

I have NEVER taken Oxy's before?? What should I expect in all regards? One in the a.m., one in the p.m. and nothing in between?

HELP! I am afraid to make a significant change like this....???

OohBarracuda is offline New Member

Oxys are just as restrictive as Hydros are under the new law. Not sure why he's making that change. Odd.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

mKan: I'm just as confused by what your doc is doing as oxy ER is stronger than hydrocodone. It is true that hydrocodone has been moved to class II and you need a written script every month to fill. Oxy is also a class II, so that makes no sense, really.
    Peace,

Iloerose

I am sorry, but with all due respect... he doesn't know what he is doing and running scared. There was another dr. in his community that got her license taken away from over-RXing pain meds, so he is lumping me in with all of those others.

He thinks Oxy TR indicates "long-term" pain management rather than a monthly RX for the other pills.

Trouble is, I have heard that some will over-take the Oxy's and end up OD-ing.

I have not filled the RX and for now am hanging in by a one toenail and I think it's my little one.
    someone keeps deleting my posts..

I don't know what I am saying to warrant them being deleted, but apparently something? Read it while you can.

I knew I saw a thread or posts from you before. Other people are having the same problem with lost posts, not sure what is going on. Are you thinking about switching docs or quitting the pain meds altogether?

not sure... the timing of quitting is extremely bad..
    Not that there is ever a "good time", but on a scale from 1 to 10, this would a 13...

Oh, hope you find a doctor that will help you, or you could just try the oxy extended relief and see how you feel. It really shouldn't be dangerous as long as you're not taking more than you should. That's where people get into trouble with extended release, they sometimes take longer to work, at least in my experience. I didn't know if you intended to go off meds or to find some other option to manage your pain. I understand.

Peace,

Iloerose

readytoquit28 is offline Junior Member

I just worry that u will end up hooked on the Oxycontin my goodness that's terrible! I was on hydros for 4 years and recently quit BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE! I would be scared too I've seen them turn ppl 360 degrees into addicts 150% just be careful and if u find yourself liking them a little too much step away from them b4 they CONSUME U!