i take 4 percocet 10-325 a day and 20 mg of valium a day
    amitriptyline
    baclofen
    clonidine
    diazepam
    metoprolol
    Percocet 10 / 325
    Ritalin

i have t spine issues and have been taking the percocet for 3 1/2 years and valium for about 15 years it is becoming more of a hassel then its worth i was also using fentanyl 50 and lyrica but havw stopped those. im just wondering if anyone has tried to come off percocet and valium at the same time. if you going to go thru hell, why not do a two for one. why the hell would md's give out this stuff then im treated as the "drug seeker" in the system

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

I don't recommend coming off valium and percoset at the same time. I understand what you mean about doing a two for one, you are thinking you can get all the withdrawals over with at once. But in reality, you have been on the valium a very long time. the withdrawals for that could last a good deal longer than the withdrawals for the percoset. You should taper off the valium very, very slowly.

The percoset you could taper slowly or you could "cold turkey" your preference. But I recommend doing only one at a time. While you get off one, keep the other stable. When you are several weeks past taking the first, only then get off the second.

Which one to do first? That depends on your pain and your anxiety situation. You might try a test reduction of each, one at a time, and see which one you are more comfortable reducing first. For me, I got off the benzo first because it was the hardest and has the worse withdrawal symptoms. At least for me that is the case. The painkiller is much easier to get off, so I got off the benzo first while I still had the painkillers to ease the symptoms. But it depends on the individual. Other people find it easier to do it the other way around.

The other drugs you are taking complicate your case. All the more reason not to make too many changes all at once. Be sure your doctor knows what you are doing with your dose adjustments.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

I would taper the Percocet first
    Because you will have the Valium to help you through that..

Plus the opiate withdrawals is usually over by day5.
    Valium will take longer and you have to do that very slow..
    But you came to the right place..
    You will get a lot of support here..
    It is great to see the success here..
    Take care
    Bette

Ilovemtndogs7 is offline Advanced Member

Hi! I'll through my 2 cents in. CT on opiates is fine, but as Bette said Valium is a different story. I think just quitting it can be harmful. Tapering for sure. Does your doctor want you to quit or do you just feel/know irs time. Believe me we have all been there. Big Hugs and check in. Miss Dogs.