Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Randy35
  • 3 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By Randy35
Newly pregnant and scared- need detox help
    Shawnamama is offline Junior Member

Default Newly pregnant and scared- need detox help

Hey all! I just found out today that I am pregnant. I'm about 5 or so weeks along. I take about 60-70 mg of hydrocodone a day.
    My instinct is to just stop all usage but I have been reading online that if I quit cold turkey I could possibly lose the baby which I would prefer not to do.

Is it really that bad to go cold turkey? I have been reading articles saying that I will miscarry so I should go on suboxone or methadone. That makes me wonder if it's just a ploy to keep me on pharmaceuticals. I will not go on suboxone or methadone. I really just want to put my usage behind me.

Maybe I can detox with the help of Kratom so it's not so hard on my body?? Kratom typically takes away the detox symptoms but eventually I will need to detox from it.

What do you think I should do? Has anyone been in this spot before that has gone cold turkey?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Welcome ot the forum!

Is it really that bad to go CT? Yes, it really is. It's too risky as harm can be caused to the unborn child. Going on Suboxone or Methadone is ridiculous for a habit like yours. It's like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer to be honest. And Kratom will only be trading one thing for another. I would NOT use that garbage.

So what should you do? I suggest you taper from the Hydro slow and steady. The slower the better to avoid wd symptoms that will affect you and the baby. A good place to start is to redcue your dose by 1/2 of a pill every week. With a 60-70mg per day habit you'll be down to 1/2 of a pill in a reasonable amount of time. Once you're down to 1/2 of a pill cut that in half and take a 1/4 for a week and the final 1/4 the following week.

Taking any kind of addictive substance will only cause problems. The taper does take some willpower and you really have to want off to be successful. Read some threads and posts here for support. Members will be here to help along with lots of support. Please continue to post letting usk now how you're doing.

Hope this helps.

Randy
    DravenDomnq and jaderon like this.

Hi Randy! Thanks for your response. This may be a tad bit long but I want to throw this in there.
    Last week I went 4 days with the help of Kratom and had zero withdrawls, before that I had tapered down to 10-20 mg a day. Thursday I got my script refilled and he upped my dosage so since Thursday I've been taking about 60-70 mg a day.
    Even with that dosage I don't really get that bad of w/d.. Just real mild.
    I don't really know what my question is lol... Can I jump from the 60 to 30 since I technically haven't been at this high of dose for more than a few days (this time around). I really just want to get this detox over with so I know if I'm going to keep this pregnancy a float, ya know? If not then it is what it is. I'll be sad but it's my fault. I'll at least learn a lesson.

Will these pills hurt my babies growth and development? I obviously want a smart and healthy baby. Thanks again!

Meaning, will the pills hurt babies growth and development while I'm tapering? Thanks

I detoxed last week for 4 days with Kratom and I'm still pregnant so maybe I can detox again with Kratom. I know Randy says Kratom is garbage but it kept me from feeling any w/d and I know lots of women who have taken it through their whole pregnancy and baby is fine with zero withdrawal. I really only want to take the Kratom for a week because I really want to quit. While I really appreciate Randy's response , does anyone else have any suggestions?
    I'm feeling pretty scared. I'm quitting Xanax at the same time so I really feel like this baby doesn't stand much of a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnamama View Post
    I detoxed last week for 4 days with Kratom and I'm still pregnant so maybe I can detox again with Kratom. I know Randy says Kratom is garbage but it kept me from feeling any w/d and I know lots of women who have taken it through their whole pregnancy and baby is fine with zero withdrawal. I really only want to take the Kratom for a week because I really want to quit. While I really appreciate Randy's response , does anyone else have any suggestions?
    I'm feeling pretty scared. I'm quitting Xanax at the same time so I really feel like this baby doesn't stand much of a chance.

I'm telling you straight, Kratom is just as addictive as any opiate is, and garbage IN MY OPINION. Stopping it CT can and usually does produce wd symptoms. Do lots of research and you'll see what you need to see. Of course I can't stop you from taking it, only warn you of it's negative potential.

DO NOT stop the Xanax CT as harm WILL be doen to the baby and you'll be in a world of hurt with symptoms. Benzo's need to be tapered VERY slow. Check out the Ashton Manual for advice on how to best taper a Benzo. It's usually around 2-5% of your dose every week or so.

I'm providing you advice and suggestions based on EXPERIENCE and not just something I've read about. Take care.

Randy
    DravenDomnq, jaderon and Sofkgtrd like this.

Thank you. Anyone else?

jaderon is offline New Member

I don't know about being pregnant while on Kratom; however I can vouch for Randy as far as Kratom withdraw. I have been on Kratom for a long time and I am dealing with withdrawals right now. I am VERY addicted to it and don't feel normal without it. My symptoms are RLS, bad anxiety, depression and lack of interest, nausea, diarrhea, stomach cramps and also hot flashes. Please do not take Kratom, especially if you have an addictive personality!!

crystaljb is offline New Member

I have been on kratom also and you will for sure get withdrawls, plus I don't know how safe it is to take while pregnant since it's not monitored. I took norco and methadone prescribed to me while I was pregnant and they did not hurt the baby. I tapered off in the 7th month to avoid the baby having to go through withdrawls. Randy gave the best advice, to taper off slowly. If you feel withdrawals then so does the baby.

Littlespoonhere is offline New Member

Hi there, I don't know how to see if you respond to my comment. I'm new and still figuring out how to navigate this site. I posted last night and now I can't find it. Anyway, I went through withdrawal during my pregnancy from about 40 mg daily and then a very low dose of sub. I did taper but a little too quickly and the Ed from the sub was a nightmare even though I was only taking a tiny amount. I did it all in secret because I had an abusive husband and I was afraid I'd get my baby taken away. He's five now and perfectly healthy. How are you doing? I'm

Emb3040 is offline New Member

Randy I see that you are the guru on this site and wonders if I may have some of your time and energy? Im terrified...

just found out I am four weeks pregnant and stuck on suboxone at 8mg. I am completely torn as to what to do to help my baby...a part of me wants to taper and be done with it and the other knows it will be hard for this child growing inside me. My doctor is going to cut me from the program when he learns of this pregnancy and I will have no choice but to taper so today I Cut my 8mg dose in half as I have found it's easy in the beginning to go from 8 to 4 but then it gets tricky. My first OB appt isn't until may and I am flying blind for now.

This is my miracle baby and I want to be healthy for her, I know the question has been asked a million times over, and if anyone could offer some words of advice or contact me personally to chat I would be forever grateful. At 32 I never expected this chance to come and here it is....I can't blow it.

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

You have been posting the same stuff on everybody's threads and I already told you what to do.... make your own thread in the suboxone forum. Read the Robert taper plan for suboxone at the top of that suboxone forum as well... it is stuck up there at the top as a sticky thread.

Post in the suboxone forum and the resident suboxone experts will come to your aid. They will basically tell you the same thing I said.... read the Robert plan and try to use that to taper down on suboxone all the way to off.

Quote Originally Posted by Emb3040 View Post
    Randy I see that you are the guru on this site and wonders if I may have some of your time and energy? Im terrified...

just found out I am four weeks pregnant and stuck on suboxone at 8mg. I am completely torn as to what to do to help my baby...a part of me wants to taper and be done with it and the other knows it will be hard for this child growing inside me. My doctor is going to cut me from the program when he learns of this pregnancy and I will have no choice but to taper so today I Cut my 8mg dose in half as I have found it's easy in the beginning to go from 8 to 4 but then it gets tricky. My first OB appt isn't until may and I am flying blind for now.

This is my miracle baby and I want to be healthy for her, I know the question has been asked a million times over, and if anyone could offer some words of advice or contact me personally to chat I would be forever grateful. At 32 I never expected this chance to come and here it is....I can't blow it.

Hello Emb, welcome to the forum!

As dsh suggested you'll want to start a new thrad for yourself in the Suboxone section of the forum. That way you'll have a place to post and receive replies directly to you instead of on someone else's thread. You'll alos have your own place to journal your progress as you go through the taper process. The link to starting that thread in the sub section is below. Title your thread, and copy and paste this post of yours into it if you wish. Give any additional info you can that you think may help us help you. Here's that link -

https://www.drugs.com/forum/newthrea...newthread&f=40

Congratulations on your pregnancy. What a special time this will be for you. I'm sure you're over-joyed as you should be! Sure it will be scary being on the subs, but it doesn't have to be. The care and concern of the unborn child is of the utmost importance here. Any wd symptoms that you feel will most likely be felt by the baby, which you'll want to limit, or avoid entirely if possible. A slow and methodical taper is the way to do that. Robert325's plan works perfectly in this case.

I'm not understanding why you think your doctor will cut you from the program because you're pregnant? What kind of doctor does that? Did he/she already inform you of that or is that something you THINK may happen? I'm sure any understanding and caring doctor won't cut you for having a baby. What they should do instead is switch you to Subutex which is pure Buprenorphine without the Naloxone that is present in Suboxone. It's been discovered that Naloxone may be harmful to the baby. Inform the doctor you're pregant and I'm sure they'll put you on the Subutex/Buprenorphine. It's also very wise to inform your OB of what's going on. They need all the info the can get about your pregnancy.

Dropping the sub dose from 8mg to 4mg can be done in some cases without even feeling the reduction. The long half life of the sub makes that possible. It's probably not wise to do so while pregnant, but what's done is done. Don't worry about that now or get down on yourself for it. I'm just letting others reading along know that it's not advisable to do that.

So your plan should be to remain on 4mg for at least 4 days. You'll reduce on the 5th day IF you're stable with little or no wd symptoms. If you do experience some symptoms after 4 days on any dose you should remain on that dose a day or two longer. You don;t want to reduce if you're not stable. Your dose reductions should be no more than 25%. For example after 4 or so days on 4mg you'll drop by 25% down to 3mg per day. Spend at least 4 days on that dose and if stable reduce by 25% down to 2.25mg per day. Follow that protocol until you're down to at least .25mg (1/4 of 1mg per day). We can help you with figuring and cutting the doses if needed.

Get your new thread started and I'm sure you'll receive many responses. I've done this many times with pregnant women and if you follow the plan you'll be just fine. Ask all the questions you have, but do so on your new thread.

Again congratulations on being pregnant and all the best to you!

Randy
    Sofkgtrd likes this.

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

I agree with Randy on Kratom.

Every story I've seen with ppl using Kratom to get off opiates... ends with them having just as much trouble getting off Kratom.

If you worked so hard to get down to 10-20mg a day.... why did you let your doctor bump you right up again to 60-70mg?

10-20mg a day is basically at the finish line. If you were feeling fine at 10-20mg a day you almost coulda jumped with mild WD symptoms.

Be honest with yourself.... just because your doctor told you to go back on 60-70mg did you use that to convince yourself that you were free to go back to high doses? There is no rocket science to this. Your doctor doesn't know any more than you do about pain pills at this point. You take them and pain goes away and mood goes up, you don't take them and the opposite happens. Except only you and not your doctor truly knows what each dose does for you and how much you can and can't take without feeling uncomfortable. Your doctor sees you 15minutes every 2 weeks, you see yourself 24 hours of every day. Listening to your doctor and going from 10-20 back up to 60-70 was a copout that let you convince yourself to break your taper. This is the willpower part that is very hard with a taper. You will look for any excuse to break the taper.

In the end I agree with Randy. Taper down to half a pill of a day or less and jump off. That is the fastest way.

I would NOT touch kratom.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-29-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Merriegold is offline New Member

Whats the effect on the baby? This is my first time to encounter Kratom case and it poses great danger once you started using it...

Sofkgtrd is offline New Member

I would not touch or advise Kratom either. I have a friend back home who's fiancee (for now...) is addicted to it and he goes on crazy rages and is very mean and unpredictable when he's on it. Plus I highly doubt we even know the effects on an unborn baby, but I can tell you I've seen many, many pregnant women on opiates throughout their pregnancies. Obviously not ideal, but I'd surely use that over Kratom if given those circumstances. I think your best bet is to taper and stop. Good luck to you. Edited for spelling.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-01-2017 at 07:11 PM.