Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By REKJR
  • 1 Post By Catrina
Norco Taper Schedule Recs or Cold Turkey?
    REKJR is offline New Member

Default Norco Taper Schedule Recs or Cold Turkey?

Hey board, I hope everyone is doing well. I am 36 years old and have been taking Norco daily for about 2 years. I only take them at night around 8:30 and do it just to chill. I never re-dose and don't dose during the day. I want to quit taking them, especially given how alarmed I have been getting about the amount it takes to make me feel good. I started off taking 15mg (2 x 7.5's) two years ago and have found myself now taking 70mg (7 x 10's) at once. I have an awesome job, wife, and a baby. I would always tell myself it's not a big deal because I can stay up late with them and take care of the baby during the night so my wife can sleep. I want to get off of them, but dread the withdrawals.

I was hoping to get some advice from the community. Would y'all recommend tapering down with the Norco and what would that schedule look like? I do have a Rx for Sub strips, but I don't want to go that route unless it's the last resort. The doctor wants me on them for a year.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by REKJR View Post
    Hey board, I hope everyone is doing well. I am 36 years old and have been taking Norco daily for about 2 years. I only take them at night around 8:30 and do it just to chill. I never re-dose and don't dose during the day. I want to quit taking them, especially given how alarmed I have been getting about the amount it takes to make me feel good. I started off taking 15mg (2 x 7.5's) two years ago and have found myself now taking 70mg (7 x 10's) at once. I have an awesome job, wife, and a baby. I would always tell myself it's not a big deal because I can stay up late with them and take care of the baby during the night so my wife can sleep. I want to get off of them, but dread the withdrawals.

I was hoping to get some advice from the community. Would y'all recommend tapering down with the Norco and what would that schedule look like? I do have a Rx for Sub strips, but I don't want to go that route unless it's the last resort. The doctor wants me on them for a year.
    Welcome!

I'm glad that you found these boards. Even at 70mg/day, a cold turkey detox is totally doable and that's exactly what I would recommend that you do. I know how scary it is to anticipate all the symptoms and I swear, that's the worst part. It'll be 4 or 5 days of symptoms which are very predictable in terms of what to expect and when. Here's what to expect:

If you can get yourself in the right frame of mind, Day 1 won't be that bad. I've done this many times and my last Day 1 was over 6 1/2 yrs ago. Each time, I worked on my Day 1 and keeping busy helped to keep out of my own head. By night time, my anxiety began to increase and I started to get the aches. I was able to get a little sleep but not much. Maybe 4 hours. By the morning of Day 2, the bathroom trips began and my legs started to kick making it nearly impossible to lay in bed. Hot showers or baths really help with the restless legs and the aches. Immodium takes care of the bathroom trips. Take them as directed on the box. 2 tablets with the first event and 1 after each subsequent event. Drink as much as you possibly can being sure to include vitamin water, Gatorade, or any other beverage that will replenish your electrolytes. We can become dehydrated during detox and that makes all of the symptoms worse than they need to be. Avoid caffeine most especially during your first week.

Search this Forum for the Thomas Recipe. It's a list of vitamins and other supplements that help with detox symptoms. They work better for some than others but everything is relatively inexpensive and can be found at a grocery store or pharmacy so it's definitely worth trying. The Recipe includes a few benzos to be used only during these first 5 days. If you really need them, don't take them longer than that. If it's at all possible, avoid them entirely. Benzos are highly addictive and makes detoxing from opiates look like child's play. Better to not touch them. Melatonin and/or Sleepy Time Tea might help you sleep a little better. Honestly, it didn't help me much to sleep but it did help me to relax a little.

This will feel like a bad flu. My symptoms always peaked between Days 2 and 3 and were all but done on Day 5. Some say that they began to feel better on Day 3 and gradually felt better until they were done around Day 5. My symptoms remained fairly consistent for those days and ended abruptly on Day 5. The physical stuff isn't fun but don't under estimate what a powerful tool your mind can be. If you go into this with determination, stay busy, and try to just go with the flow, things will go much better for you. If you sit or lay around assessing how bad you feel, you're going to feel terrible. Cold turkey detox is undoubtedly the quickest way to get to the other side and begin your recovery and gets my endorsement above tapering or subs any day of the week.

It takes a bit for your sleep patterns to return and you might be lacking energy. To give you an idea, I had a lot of trouble sleeping until around weeks 3 clean. The lack of energy, at least for me, I'm sure was at least somewhat attributable to not sleeping well. Once I began to sleep, my energy returned fairly quickly. I hope I'm not scaring you more. I just think it's important to know what to expect and to be aware that the acute flu-like symptoms will be gone in about 5 days. What you'll be left with is trouble sleeping and lack of energy. Just don't give up if you're not feeling 100% for a couple of weeks. Just know that it ALWAYS gets better. Always.

You can try to taper but it takes a level of discipline that most addicts don't have. I most certainly didn't. With a taper, the slower, the better. You might try to reduce by around 15% every four or five days. There is no plan written in stone so you can take it as slowly as you would like to avoid the acute symptoms. The down side, is that you will likely feel each reduction especially when you are down to a much lower daily dose. Once you adjust to your new lower dose and are feeling better, it's time to reduce again. Rinse and repeat. By doing the math, you can see that this process will take a while. If you're taking 70mg now, you might try dropping to 60mg immediately. Depending upon how you feel, you can reduce again in about a week, give or take a day or two to a new dose of 50. The math isn't perfect but you get the idea. As your dose gets lower, your reductions get smaller.

Subs and Sub Doctors. You gotta love them. Most doctors really don't know enough about Subs to give advice on the best way to use them. You are right in thinking it should be a last resort. I cold turkey detoxed from around 200mg/day and was done in 5 days. Subs are many times stronger than any short acting opiate, they're very addictive, and the taper is slow. Hands down, if you choose to taper, do it with the Norco and NOT the subs. I'd strongly recommend that you give a cold turkey a go. Commit to it. Get rid of any pills you have left and eliminate any connections you have to get more. If you still have a source, it only takes one weak moment during your detox to take a few pills and you'll have sabotaged all of your work. Very important to wrap your head around the fact that you have to go all in to get through those 5 days.

Hope this helps. Try not to stress yourself out over this. You are making a very good decision to take your life back. In the space of only two years, you can see yourself how your use has escalated. It will continue to escalate, I promise you that much. It isn't a maybe you'll need more. It is absolute. Our tolerance goes up and goes up quickly.

I hope you keep posting. You'll get a lot of support here all you have to do is post. Read other threads too and you'll see that you're in good company.

Peace,

Cat
    Ricky71 likes this.