Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By FutureForward
  • 2 Post By DravenDomnq
  • 2 Post By SSearch
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By SSearch
Opioid Withdrawal & Depression. When will I feel normal again?
    FutureForward is offline New Member

Default Opioid Withdrawal & Depression. When will I feel normal again?

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. For about the past year a have been abusing opioids, oxycodone, hydrocodone, anything I could get my hands on. I stopped cold turkey about 14 days ago. All my physical symptoms are gone, I am sleeping well again, but my mind isn't right yet. I have been feeling a lot of depression. I start out feeling OK in the morning, but as the day goes on it gets worse.

Quick history: I has untreated depression as a teen, which seemed to go away when I reach my twenties. In my mid twenties I developed a lot of anxiety so the doctor put me on Lexapro, which worked very well and resolved my anxiety. In mid-2017 I started to develop some depression so the doctor switched me to Effexor. I currently take 300mg of effexor each day.

I thing the depression probably developed from the pill habit, otherwise I probably would have been fine. I know I have done a lot of damage to my brain chemistry with the pills.

For anyone who has quit, did you have depression? When did you start to feel more normal again?

I appreciate any input and support!
    DravenDomnq and Randy35 like this.

DravenDomnq is offline Advanced Member

Hey Future, welcome to the forums! Almost 2 weeks clean, that's awesome! Good on you!

It took me a bit before I started to get used to my new "normal" and all the feelings that were coming to the surface. For so many years I had numbed myself with the Oxy that I didn't realize what it was like to really feel things again. The highs and lows that came with life and are all part of being human. My emotions still get to me sometimes, but it's all part of life and much easier to deal with being clean than ever before.

I've battled depression and anxiety myself throughout my life, and so definitely get where you're coming from. Things do get better though, and it just takes a bit for our minds to get back in order. We all recover at our own pace, so a lot of what you're going through will even out. When I first got off the meds I couldn't even speak out loud correctly, and took me forever to process any kind of coherent thoughts. What you're going through is completely normal, and it does get better.

Any exercise you can do to get the endorphin's flowing can only help. Even if it's just walking around your house or stretching etc. Try to increase your activity level a bit each day, and in time I think you'll notice a big difference.

Lot of great support on here, so keep posting and letting us know how you're doing. We're here for you, so know you're not alone!!
    Lvg nghtmare and Randy35 like this.

SSearch is offline New Member

Hi, similarly after abusing opiates for a few years now I decided to finally stop taking them. Codine was my thing I first got access to it from an injury 30mg tablets. Long story short I have been on and off them but pretty much remained consistent if that makes sense for around 2years. A few months back I got access to 60mg tablets and things spiralled out of control I was taking upto 6/7 a day. I eventually ran out n started taking 15mg tablets. At tht is stage I started getting sweats when he dosage reduced and I have 0 appetite.

Last year I went through a rough patch of depression I can’t put my finger on what could have triggered this but the anxiety was crazy I felt like I couldn’t make it through the day or do my job without taking them. I was ready to quit my job had suicidal thoughts everything so I can relate in a sense.

I took my last tablet a day ago so I suppose I’m just over 24 hours clean. I’ve flushed the remaining tablets down the toilet and never intend to go near them again. Already I’m having withdrawals: anxiety, back pains, sweats etc! I’m determined to leave it all behind for good now I was planning on weening off it but I need out NOW!

The best thing I have done was admitting to myself and partner I am in fact addicted!

How did you get through the early stages of withdrawals?

Help would be much appreciated
    Randy35 and DravenDomnq like this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureForward View Post
    Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. For about the past year a have been abusing opioids, oxycodone, hydrocodone, anything I could get my hands on. I stopped cold turkey about 14 days ago. All my physical symptoms are gone, I am sleeping well again, but my mind isn't right yet. I have been feeling a lot of depression. I start out feeling OK in the morning, but as the day goes on it gets worse.

Quick history: I has untreated depression as a teen, which seemed to go away when I reach my twenties. In my mid twenties I developed a lot of anxiety so the doctor put me on Lexapro, which worked very well and resolved my anxiety. In mid-2017 I started to develop some depression so the doctor switched me to Effexor. I currently take 300mg of effexor each day.

I thing the depression probably developed from the pill habit, otherwise I probably would have been fine. I know I have done a lot of damage to my brain chemistry with the pills.

For anyone who has quit, did you have depression? When did you start to feel more normal again?

I appreciate any input and support!

Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on stopping the pills and racking up 14 clean days! That's something to be really proud of! A single day clean is a miracle for any addict. So really, congrats on a job well done.

When we're gobbling down pills they lie to us, and put us in a sort of dream land state of mind. They cover over our natural feelings and suppress most of our senses. We live that way the entire time we're abusing drugs. And we usually don't know it. We think we're doing fine, and nothing seems to ever bother us except when we have trouble finding pills or other addictive substances. Nothing matters except more drugs. It's a vicious cycle and never ending until we put a stop to it.

It's completely normal that we experience some depression when stopping. We're basically learning how to re-live our lives without the pills and that can sometimes be a formidable job. The one thing that will, and does make the most difference is TIME. Takes some vitamins and supplements to stimulate your body. Eat and drink some protein for energy issues. Get some form of exercise in daily. Do all those things, but please just give it some time for your body to adjust to life without the pills. And I promise you it will.

Again, congrats on making the best decision you'll ever make for yourself. Read some threads and posts on the different forums here. Don't be afraid to post to other members. Let out all your feelings here as we've all been in your shoes and you'll NEVER be judged. I came here nearly 4 years ago dealing with the same stuff you are. I now have about 3.5 years clean and life is just plain GOOD! You most certainly can live without the pills. You don't need them in your life.

Hope to hear from you soon,
    Randy
    DravenDomnq likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSearch View Post
    Hi, similarly after abusing opiates for a few years now I decided to finally stop taking them. Codine was my thing I first got access to it from an injury 30mg tablets. Long story short I have been on and off them but pretty much remained consistent if that makes sense for around 2years. A few months back I got access to 60mg tablets and things spiralled out of control I was taking upto 6/7 a day. I eventually ran out n started taking 15mg tablets. At tht is stage I started getting sweats when he dosage reduced and I have 0 appetite.

Last year I went through a rough patch of depression I can’t put my finger on what could have triggered this but the anxiety was crazy I felt like I couldn’t make it through the day or do my job without taking them. I was ready to quit my job had suicidal thoughts everything so I can relate in a sense.

I took my last tablet a day ago so I suppose I’m just over 24 hours clean. I’ve flushed the remaining tablets down the toilet and never intend to go near them again. Already I’m having withdrawals: anxiety, back pains, sweats etc! I’m determined to leave it all behind for good now I was planning on weening off it but I need out NOW!

The best thing I have done was admitting to myself and partner I am in fact addicted!

How did you get through the early stages of withdrawals?

Help would be much appreciated

Welcome!

Start a new thread for yourself in the Need to Talk section of the forums. Here's the link below to do that....

https://www.drugs.com/forum/newthrea...newthread&f=32

Title your new thread and tell us all about you. You can copy and paste your post here to that thread. That way you'll have your own place for help and support as this thread belongs to another new member. We'll be more than happy to help.

Randy
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

SSearch is offline New Member

Thanks Randy!

3.5 years clean that’s inspirational! When getting off how long did your physical withdrawal symptoms last?
    FutureForward likes this.

FutureForward is offline New Member

Thanks for the words of encouragement. A few days ago, by chance, someone offered me some cocaine. I used a little. It made me feel better from the withdrawals for for just a short time, but the next day I felt even worse. The depression was definitely worse. Now I am just staying away from everything, but my prescribed medication. I think anything that alters my mind is not going to be helpful. The depression is not extreme or severe, but I am definitely not myself.

Thank you everyone!