• 1 Post By Sashaleo
  • 1 Post By stlrsfan
  • 1 Post By Sashaleo
  • 1 Post By shybaybe2003
Oxycodone Withdrawals
    stlrsfan is offline New Member

Default Oxycodone Withdrawals

Hi, I'm Jim.

I'm 44 years old. I recently had surgery on the 28th of August for a cervical fusion in my neck. I was placed on Oxycodone, 10/325 for the pain. I was on them for almost exactly 2 months. I haven't had any since Tuesday evening and am now working on day 4. I was taking approximately 70-80mg a day total for that 2 months. Unfortunately, I didn't taper properly.

The first day was just out of it, but then the night came and I tossed and turned and was sweating and freezing all night. Last night was similar, but I tried taking some "Hylands Restful Legs" and "Hylands Calms fortes" who my pharmacist said are non-addictive. I'm also on Pristiq and Xanax for about 6 years now, the xanax being .25 and I take a total of 1mg per day. Of course I took a few extra of them last night to help too, but I'm terrified of addictions.

I quit cigarettes after 23 years and this nasty feeling is eerily similar. I know that you guys aren't all doctors here, but I was hoping someone would tell me that I've seen the worst of it and then it'll be getting better soon. I have managed to get to the gym all 3 days to ride the bike for about 5 minutes and then soak in the steam room, but it is so hard with no energy. But it beats the night time and the sweating and non sleep from the Oxycodone withdrawals.

I've been drinking as much green tea as I can, Imodium AD, Advil & plenty of vitamins. I do feel a "little" better today, but a very confused feeling head and no energy.

What do you guys think for someone taking 80mg a day for 2 months? A lot of pages say the WD's peak at the end of the 3rd day and then it's a little better on the 4th and 5th, and then ?????? for a few weeks.

I hope everyone else in here is coping and doing well. It's hard to pay attention to others issues when your own are so tough, but being online, or doing anything to pass time, seems to help!

-Jim

P.S. - Admittedly, that is what I wrote on another forum, but there isn't much participation there so I thought I would give this one a shot for some help.

I went to 2 different gyms today as my old gym membership is about to expire. One has a sauna while the other has a steam room. I tried to sweat as long as I can in them and then follow it with a hot shower. My symptoms today are anxiety, weak stomach & major depression and feel like a screwed up my life. I don't know if I'm reading too much, or not enough. But I was hoping like some sites stated, that day 3 is peak withdrawals for how long I was on them and the 4th day should be looking up. I'm forcing green teas, electrolytes and tons of water into me. All I can eat as of yet is a little toast here and there. 3 nights in a row now of sleepless nights, sweating, feeling so alone, I just feel like I can't take much more, but I know I can. I know no one here is a doctor, and no one knows me, but as stupid as it sounds, I was hoping someone would give me some cheery news to look forward to on my fight here. I want my life back - totally.

I hope everyone else in similar positions are doing well and recovering and getting better. It's amazing what just talking to other people online can do for your spirits and occupy your mind. I want my recovery to be speedy, and I hope yours is too!

-Jim
    Heathesq likes this.

sdonna68 is offline New Member

Hi Jim, I'm 44&female. Been though many WD 's at various levels of opiate mg dependent. Day 4 is definitely the turning point. The worst is over. And you are doing right with electrolytes and Hylands. You are lucky you had xanax to help. I can't use it cause I'm an addict & I would end up using it to "help " with whatever long after WD was over. Seriously,, force yourself. to.eat, cause it might take a minute before appetite back to normal. My night sweats usually last about a month, with the amount of shirt changes per night decreasing everyday. BUT THE WORST IS OVER!!!!! You are on the upswing. Hang Tough!!
    Heathesq likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sdonna68 View Post
    Hi Jim, I'm 44&female. Been though many WD 's at various levels of opiate mg dependent. Day 4 is definitely the turning point. The worst is over. And you are doing right with electrolytes and Hylands. You are lucky you had xanax to help. I can't use it cause I'm an addict & I would end up using it to "help " with whatever long after WD was over. Seriously,, force yourself. to.eat, cause it might take a minute before appetite back to normal. My night sweats usually last about a month, with the amount of shirt changes per night decreasing everyday. BUT THE WORST IS OVER!!!!! You are on the upswing. Hang Tough!!
    Thanks much for the encouraging words!! Day 4 is what I read everywhere else. But even though the "worst" will be gone, I'll still have these sleep issues for another month? I actually found myself crying a few times last night, just dying for a few hours of good sleep. I've done more tossing and turning and sweating in the past 3 nights than I have in the last 10 years I think!

I guess all I can do is keep doing what I'm doing and keep my chin up. I actually went to the gym for a 3rd time today to try and sweat some stuff out, which I found recommended on other sites. But now someone else told me that doing so won't be any more beneficial than just drinking water and passing it. I love the sauna and steam room anyway, so I suppose it's not hurting, but I've been trying to get everything out of my body as fast as possible. I know psychological issues always last a little, and detoxing the body won't help much there, but I was hoping that all this sweating was contributing to making me better. I've also walked a little today, but wasn't easy, and I'm going to try again a few hours before I go to sleep tonight.

I can't believe these sleeping issues are going to last me nearly as long as I've been on these things. It seems there isn't much difference between 2 months and 2 years. But I suppose we're all addicts and all have to continue fighting our demons.

Thank you again for your response, and I truly hope you're coping and doing well!

-Jim

Sashaleo is offline New Member

I have been taking oxys for the last 5 years. It was only 10 to 20 mgs and so I thought no big deal, getting a lot of things done. Then, my husband died two months ago so very suddenly and I just about went crazy. I did not want to cope so I ended up taking 4 30mgs a day for the past 2 months. Long story short, I took my last one Tuesday am. I had a horrible 3 days, but it could have been worse. I really only started feeling better this morning. I did not think I would ever get any energy back, but I am so happy to say that I feel about 80%. I now know that I will never touch those deadly pills again. It sucks the life out of you! I would much rather feel my sadness then block everything out with that. I wish you well and hope sleep is in the cards for all this night!
    Heathesq likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashaleo View Post
    I have been taking oxys for the last 5 years. It was only 10 to 20 mgs and so I thought no big deal, getting a lot of things done. Then, my husband died two months ago so very suddenly and I just about went crazy. I did not want to cope so I ended up taking 4 30mgs a day for the past 2 months. Long story short, I took my last one Tuesday am. I had a horrible 3 days, but it could have been worse. I really only started feeling better this morning. I did not think I would ever get any energy back, but I am so happy to say that I feel about 80%. I now know that I will never touch those deadly pills again. It sucks the life out of you! I would much rather feel my sadness then block everything out with that. I wish you well and hope sleep is in the cards for all this night!
    First off, I am so sorry for your loss.

But I'm thrilled to hear that you're on the same path as me. I hope we both beat this. Day 5 is today. I git the gym early to sweat in the sauna, but my anxiety is a bit nutty and I'm thinking some chilling won't hurt. When I work out, it feels good, but gives me anxiety right now.

I would rather not take more xanax than already prescribed for relaxation or sleeping. A lot of people have recommended Melatonin and Valerian root, but I'm afraid of putting anything into my body right now that may not be safe. I guess I'll just have to grin and bear it until my body naturally makes its way back to its regular self.

Like you, I feel like I may be getting some energy, but it scares me as I mistake it for anxiety.

I wish you the best to!! I wish the best for everyone reading. A clean life is all I want, some sleep, get more energy as a result, then get physical again and hopefully sleep better from expending energy!

-Jim
    Heathesq likes this.

Sashaleo is offline New Member

Thanks for the encouragement! Today is a slow energy day for me. Wondering how do I do everything without these, especially I feel so much more now. But, I am determined and will just take one day at a time. I know it is a hard road I am taking but knowing there are more people like me out there makes me hope. Going for a walk now even if only a short one! Good luck with your journey as well.
    Heathesq likes this.

shybaybe2003 is offline Member

hi jim! First off congatulations on your road to recovery!!!!! It IS so worth it. Of course you probably hear that all the time, but i promise you it truly is. The anxiety may linger for a while, but it will eventually lessen. Working out is great, keep doing it. I am not down playing the anxiety at all, I have an anxiety disorder, which about put me in the metal hospital during my last detox. I still deal with it now, but it is very tolerable. One thing i discovered, is when I was taking the opiates, at first it seemed to help the anxiety..i felt great. But after a while, it went the other way and the opiates were causing my anxiety...downright panic attacks that landed me in the ER on more than one occasion. Be carefull of the xanax. AS I am sure you know very addictive, and a whole other horrible monster in itself. Good luck to you and keep posting, this is a very good forum.
    sdonna68 likes this.
    Clean and Sober as of 4-25-2011

Mirabellesmom is offline Member

i'm curious Jim, how are you doing now?

i'm in my second week of oxy tapering... was taking 160 a day... am down to 100mgs, taking in 50mgs doses every 12hrs... cold turkey isnt really an option for me this try so i'm going to make this taper work for me... hope you are still on your way to getting your life back! best wishes!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-05-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: forgot a word, typing in the dark!

justluckymaybe is offline New Member

Default Lucky?

I am 66 years old and have been taking OxyContin and Oxycodone for over 15 years. I exaggerated my symptoms to the doctors in order to get them, more for recreational use than pain, although I did have quite a bit of pain then. I worked my way up to 420 mg per day and maintained that level for two years. At that point I became tired of the side effects such as severe constipation and enjoyment of sexual pleasures. I went from 420 mg in mixture of the two (3 80 mg and 3 20 mg OxyContin along with 8 15 mg Oxycodone) which if my math is correct is 420 mg which I'm told is quite high. When I decided to stop I realized that tapering would be the best for my lifestyle even though in treatment would have been paid for by my insurance. But due to other health issues related to Parkinson's which my wife helps me with I knew I had to do it on my own. Anyway, I went from 420 mg down to (1 – 80 mg OxyContin) per day. Which as the math shows that to be an 81% drop in one fell swoop. On certain days, 5 to be exact I did add 1 – 15 mg at the end of the day. So I suppose it's closer to an 80% drop. It is now been 4 weeks today. From what I read in numerous forms the withdrawal symptoms should have been much worse for me I suspect. The only symptoms I had was this, feeling hot/cold and the inability to get a full night sleep and slight cravings to take a pill (1 – 15 mg) to make me more comfortable. I thank God I did not have some of the withdrawals have read about. The hot and cold still continue after four weeks along with the inability to sleep a full night. I do have a bit of restless leg syndrome but I think that's Parkinson's medication related. I also took Valium off and on due to my anxiety of having Parkinson's. But overall it is not been difficult other than wanting to feel normal. My question is this: Will I have more difficulty dropping the last 80 mg compared to the relative ease I had with my first 80% drop and is there a better tapering formula than when I did the 80% drop that I did the first time and should I be over the hot/cold by now as I wanted to feel normal for a week or so before dropping another level. It is the time frame that bothers me the most I am impatient but know that because of my long-term use my withdrawal symptoms will most likely be longer than normal. Am I unusual to go from 420 mg down to 80 mg per day quite easily or is the other shoe going to drop when I taper 80 down to zero. Meaning could that be more difficult than the 80% drop? I have many milligrams around the house and have been quite easily keeping away from them except for the 5 days I added to the 80 with 1 – 15 mg during the four weeks. Thank you and I wish everyone the best of luck! Also this is my 1st post to a forum so if I placed it wrong I am sort and you scan move it if you want or let me know how and I will.

Heathesq is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sashaleo View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement! Today is a slow energy day for me. Wondering how do I do everything without these, especially I feel so much more now. But, I am determined and will just take one day at a time. I know it is a hard road I am taking but knowing there are more people like me out there makes me hope. Going for a walk now even if only a short one! Good luck with your journey as well.
    Walking is important even if it is only a little bit. I found this helps immensely to normalize the body all the way around. I think if you can start walking prior to jumping off or weaning and continue whether a simple outdoor walk, the treadmill or the elltocal for only 5 minutes a few times a day the entire withdrawal process will be easier. Be gentle with yourself and take good care.