Please help! 7 months pregnant addicted to opiates
    So worried is offline New Member

Default Please help! 7 months pregnant addicted to opiates

Hello,
    I am new here. And I am desperate for answers. My friend of 19 years is 7 months pregnant and addicted to oxycodone. She tried cold turkey but the baby gets so stiff and sits so slow in her belly that is scares her. Yes I know she should of thought of this for the last 7 months but that doesn't matter at this point cause here we are. It's breaking my heart seeing this. Can someone tell me the best way to get her off the opiates this far along? Can she cold turkey? Or should I give her one 30mg a day and break in halves for a few days then stop or is there a place in Maryland that specializes in this? ( If I can get her to go) I thought that if she does it now that the baby wont go through withdraw when he is born. Plus she isn going to do it either way, most likely without a doctor supervising her so I just need to know the safest way...Cold Turkey or wean her down for a few days? I am the only person she has to help her. She is all alone. She doesn't want methadone or subutex in fear of going back to oxycodone after the pregnancy. She currently does anywhere from 3 to 5 Oxycodone 30mg immediate release a day. Please help. Please just tell me the best route of the two. I am so worried. I have four children and never even drank a beer so this is very new to me. Thank you so much in advance for any help you can give.

Jenny51 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by So worried View Post
    Hello,
    I am new here. And I am desperate for answers. My friend of 19 years is 7 months pregnant and addicted to oxycodone. She tried cold turkey but the baby gets so stiff and sits so slow in her belly that is scares her. Yes I know she should of thought of this for the last 7 months but that doesn't matter at this point cause here we are. It's breaking my heart seeing this. Can someone tell me the best way to get her off the opiates this far along? Can she cold turkey? Or should I give her one 30mg a day and break in halves for a few days then stop or is there a place in Maryland that specializes in this? ( If I can get her to go) I thought that if she does it now that the baby wont go through withdraw when he is born. Plus she isn going to do it either way, most likely without a doctor supervising her so I just need to know the safest way...Cold Turkey or wean her down for a few days? I am the only person she has to help her. She is all alone. She doesn't want methadone or subutex in fear of going back to oxycodone after the pregnancy. She currently does anywhere from 3 to 5 Oxycodone 30mg immediate release a day. Please help. Please just tell me the best route of the two. I am so worried. I have four children and never even drank a beer so this is very new to me. Thank you so much in advance for any help you can give.
    I am not knowledgeable enough to help you, but I think there are some on this site that can help. I'm sure someone will be along to give you some advice. I understand the weekends can be slow on this site. Please check back and someone will be able to help you.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by So worried View Post
    Hello,
    Hi there. This is a really tough situation. Weaning off opiates is difficult, but it can be done. An addict always wants more, so that's where the difficulty lies in tapering off. For the baby's sake, her taper needs to be slow and steady. Any withdrawal felt by Mom is felt by the baby. She may not be able to come completely off since she's due in 2 months.

I cannot stress how important it is for her to be under a doctor's care while doing this. I realize she's probably ashamed and embarrassed to tell her OB, but for the baby's sake, she needs to. If the baby is in withdrawal after birth, the doctors and nurses will know. Don't know what state you live in but they deal with these situations in different ways.

A decent taper might look something like this: reducing by about 25% or so every week. It's important that she feels ok before each reduction. Every person is different and I can't say how long she'll have to stay at a certain dose before reducing again.

I'll check back with you.
    Kat