Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AW21
  • 1 Post By Kikker
Quitting Cold Turkey on Hydrocodone today! Please help
    AW21 is offline New Member

Default Quitting Cold Turkey on Hydrocodone today! Please help

Any help or words of advice and encouragement appreciated. Im a 37 yr old female that's been on Lortab 10/500 for a year now. Dose is 1 tab 3 times a daily. But over the past few months I've gotten up to 6-7 a day. I'm so ready to quit!!! I don't think I have the willpower to taper because if they're available I take them. So I just took my last dose and going to enjoy my last good night of sleep for awhile. I have restless legs anyways so that's the worst part I'm anticipating. I have a broken pelvic bone from an accident which us why I was 1st placed on hydros.

Please bear with me the next few days/weeks as I'm sure I will need everyone's help. My family has no idea I'm taking hydros. So the withdrawals may be hard to explain.

Thank you in advance. Good night and ill will post in the morn when the wds start.

10/2/12
    Well it's morning and I just carried the kids to school and my legs are already aching. Please Lord don't let this be too bad where I cave and go find some. I'm off today so I'm gonna lay around and rest.
    Sic6220 likes this.

surfdog is offline Senior Member

Aw the withdrawals shouldn't be too bad. about 5 days of flu like symptoms, Check out the Thomas Recipe it will help. as will hot baths showers and exercise Hang tight we will help all we can you have made the right decision Dog

Lildog is offline New Member

As well as a Heating Pad under my calves did wonders!

Hugs
    Lildog

Thanks y'all. Going to buy groceries to get my mind off of it.

Kikker is offline Advanced Member

hi AW21...i just wanted to offer u my support while u
    are going to end the problem and get urself clean.

i know it's not easy...but with a positive attitude and
    the willpower to want it bad enough it certainly can
    be done.

just like surfdog said...it is about 5 days of real bad
    flu like symptoms. u might have periods of hot/cold
    symptoms followed by rls, headaches, and all around
    body aches and pains.

surfdog's suggestion of hot baths and showers is a
    great one. they both help so much. i took hot baths
    and showers several times a day before.

never tried the heating pad as Lildog suggested but it
    makes sense that the hot pad would help quite a bit...
    anything warm seems to help.

and the exercise that was suggested is another thing
    that will really help ur symptoms. walking as much as
    u can will help greatly.

also stay as busy as u possibly can. sleep is just about
    impossible to get at times...staying busy and getting
    lots of exercise will tire u out during the day and
    hopefully u can get some sleep at night.

there are several all natural sleep aides available at most
    pharmacies and vitamin type stores if u should need them.

i have relapsed many times and went to subs for help. i
    was just going to remain on them but now i'm thinking
    of reducing my dose and just being done with it.

another member here 'mirabellasmom' gave me the push
    and motivation i needed to get started with my taper
    with her own determination to get clean. i could never
    taper from narcotics, but the subs can be tapered easier.
    i have tapered down before and gotten clean with subs
    but went right back to the narcotic pills. gonna give it
    another go anyway.

wanted to say welcome to u and offer my support along
    with the others here. u came to the right place...the
    support and encouragement here is amazing.

good luck to u and keep posting ur progress if u could
    please. it really does help others to see how another
    person deals with this disease.

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm feeling really achy right now. Worst part is the anxiety about the restless legs that I know are coming and the lack of sleep

18 hours now with no hydrocodone.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Don't worry too much about the restless legs. Try hyland's restful leg, gatorade, pottasium. Try to eat things like bananas, fruit, etc. You wll make it through this. 3-5 maybe bad days. Day 4 things may start looking up, look forward to having a clear head and the peace of mind that these drugs won't control you anymore. Yeah, it's like flu achy. So treat the symptoms. Use some of the things that I've suggested and you will be fine. The lack of sleep can be taken care of with melatonin and sleepy time tea, chamomile tea. Hot baths. You will get there. Completely.

Peace,

Iloerose

u should be nearing ur first 24 hrs of clean time.
    hope ur hanging in there.

congrats for making it the first day.

try not to project things like the rls.
    might not be nearly as bad as u think it will.

keep the positive thinking up.
    that will help take u a long ways.

iloerose had great advice with the fluids to
    keep hydrated and the stuff to help u sleep.

exercise and listening to ur favorite music will
    help to keep ur stress and anxiety levels down.

u can do this...

don't forget about using that thomas recipe.
    u can google it.

has lots of supplements in it that will help ur
    symptoms.

u probably won't need the benzo's that are
    suggested. that would give u something else
    to worry about that u don't need right now.

hope u get a good nights rest..

I actually feel pretty good. Took a Xanax .5 and an ultram I found in medicine cabinet. I hate to say this I feel as good as if I was on hydros.

Well, I slept like a baby last night So happy this morning.

i'm very happy u were able to get some sleep...
    but i have to ask this....

why did u take the ultram?
    that is a med that should not be fooled around with.

i had lots of problems with that med.

i'm not judging u...only curious is all.

taking the xanax along with the ultram and saying it's like the hydro's...

i think it's ur mind telling ur body that u really miss that euphoria and
    it will do ANYTHING to get u to use again.

please be very careful with what u take from now on. i really care
    about u and hope u can get and stay clean.

again i'm not judging, only worried is all.
    those drugs are so devious when u least expect it...
    iloerose likes this.

Well I took the Xanax for the lil but of anxiety I had with it being the 1st 24 hours into this. I took 1 ultram because I didn't have any Advil or Tylenol and I was a bit achy. I've never taken an ultram before so I didn't know it was a big deal. But with all that you said I won't be taking it anymore. I've always heard they're no better than Tylenol or Advil.

Let me also say I didn't mean I felt the euphoria from Xanax and ultram like u do with hydros. I meant I felt somewhat normal. My max dose of Hydros was only 6 pills a day so I wasn't on a big dose trying to get high. I had just built up my tolerance and had to take 2 at a time 3 times a day.

ok i understand better now. thank u for explaining.

may i ask u another question please? u don't have to
    answer if u choose not to...

i see in ur first post u said ur dose was 1 tab 3 times
    per day.

and then in the past few months u went up to 6-7
    daily...

were u getting ur pills from a doctor?

at 3 pills per day that is about 90 per month, but 6-7
    pills per day is about 180 per month...or double the dose.

do u run out early and the doctor gives u early refills, or
    did u get them elsewhere?

i was just wondering if the doctor would give u what was
    needed...some doctors will.

again u certainly don't have to answer...i'm just curious
    is all.

i had to do both...get as many as i could from my doctor
    and then buy from family, friends, and dealers. i went to
    several doctors in fact, and the er at times to get pills.

it is/was horrible for me and i was wondering if it is
    somewhat the same for u..

My Dr gave me 90 a month. Then I would beg, borrow, and plead for more from friends. That's when I knew this had gone too far. Thankfully it only lasted a couple months. But I was starting to enjoy them so I knew I had to quit. I never went to other drs or the ER. My Dr has a rule with pain meds.......refills can only be gotten every 30 days. No exceptions. He's not a pain dr, just a general family dr. He said he started doing that from the get go to detour pain med seekers. I have told him what I'm doing and he supports me 100%. He said it shouldn't be bad for me because I wasn't on a high dose. Problem is, I'm still gonna have pain from this broken pelvic bone. I guess I'lll deal with that when it comes.

that's great ur doctor is behind u all the way.
    most doctors will help us if we're honest with them.

i know i have read on this site before, an thru my own
    injuries that the pain meds can actually cause some of the pain..

sounds crazy but it's true in some cases.
    when we stop the narcotics ur true pain level will be revealed.

hopefully when u stop the lortab u can get by on some otc stuff.
    that would be great for u if it works for ur pelvic bone.

i had a severe injury that required surgery.
    that led to years of addiction.
    when i stopped the pills the pain seemed to be much less.

i'm on subs now as i said, but i hardly take anything for my pain anymore.
    maybe a tylenol or motrin once in a while.
    not even every week now.

keep doing what ur doing now.
    i think ur doing just great!

Mirabellesmom is offline Member

keep at it! c/t is the way i have always gotten off the pain meds before... i would ramp up with a big party week, take everything i could find then lock myself in a hotel room for 5 days and sweat it out... the ridiculous idea that coming down from a ton of different directions would make it difficult for me to concentrate on just one nasty effect... only problem i faced was staying clean... i would have a fall or other minor accident and find a reason to start taking a few pills here and there just to make life easier,,,, then BAM!!!! i'm takin pills to stop the withdrawls.... so this time i have changed up my routine...

thanks to some advice i found here on this forum as well as the support of my family (for the most part) i have decided on a taper method to get off the oxy neo's... i'm on my second week at a 10mg reduction every 12hrs .. so i started at 80mgs twice daily... got down to 60 on my first drop as a commitment to fixing this problem then i dropped to 50 this tues and honestly? the last 24hrs haven't been great... been a bit negative and feeling angry and frustrated as well... but i'm sticking with it... this is not the "get it over with as fast as i can" method i have used in the past but i really don't want my detox to effect my familly that relies so heavily on me to be at the top of my game...

congrats to you on your plan to cold turkey it and get it over and done with... i'm 110% behind you!

don't come down on yourself too hard if you have a bad day or 2... the most important thing is that you made the DECISION to change and thats THE most important part of getting clean! you gotta want your life back!

good luck and i'm rootin for ya!!

Well I haven't been on here in a week or so. I'm so mad at myself. I was doing so good til a friend came over and gave me just 1 and that's all it took. So here I am again. I have 1 for tonight and ill start again in the morning. Not dreading it as bad as I did the 1st because I know what to expect. Sorry to let y'all down

Well, all I have to say: Is pick yourself back up and get going. You didn't let anyone down, just probably yourself. You can do this. It's hard. Most of us have relapsed, I know that no excuse, but you just need to get back on: use the Thomas Recipe. You also are going to have to tell your friends NO MORE. Cut all ties with any drug friends. You have to. Addiction is way stronger than most of us. People believe that will power will conquer all, but that is not true most of the time for addicts. My best advice: find a support group like NA, CR or some such. You need to let people know you MEAN this. Just do the drill and you'll be o.k. But you really need to separate yourself from active users and any supply. We're behind you one this, but it's ultimately up to you: go to need to talk and read some of the threads there. Still here for you.

Peace,

Iloerose.

Mirabellesmom is offline Member

i have relapsed more times than i can count but i'm gonna make it and get clean, and stay that way one day... relapse is part of the disease... and you're right... all it takes is 1... dont come down on yourself, just re-make your plan, re-dedicate yourself to your goals and start each day like the brand new gift it is..!

Blessed Be.

shawn156 is offline Member

I am over 6 months mostly clean from Vicodin.I had to use some in August when me and my wife moved into our new house. Then a month later on in September because I was in a lot of pain. I should probably of stayed on them since I do have pain that OTC meds don't touch,but it was tearing my life apart and I had a choice to make.In my mind it was either stay on the pills and loose my then g/f now wife,or get off the pills and make a better life for those that are around me.It's obvious what I chose.
    I struggled for several months with stopping and was about to give up.Going CT wasn't working,I had to many ways to get them. I went to the Dr and got a much weaker opiate and used that and got myself off ofthe Vics. It was Tylenol 3 with codeine that really gave me what I needed back then to stop. I was on Tylenol 3 for less then 2 months ad jumped ship and came out with barely any withdrawls. It worked for me but IDK if it will work for anyone else.
    Vicodin is hard to get off and stay off of unless you have a lot of will power.
    Right now I am in pain and wish I had Vicodin to stop the pain,but after it passes,I always think to myself,that was a rough few days but I make it work and has for over 6 months.
    Good luck and hope you get clean and focused on stuff again. I feel much better now that I stopped using it on a daily basis.Kind of feels like I am a different person now.

It's best to get into a support group such as NA or whatever to help you stay clean. I never will recommend that anyone take a "replacement" opiate to kick another opiate. Getting clean is easy, staying clean is the difficult part. AW21, find yourself a support group. NA has been around a long, long time for a reason.

Peace,

Iloerose

shawn156 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by iloerose View Post
    It's best to get into a support group such as NA or whatever to help you stay clean. I never will recommend that anyone take a "replacement" opiate to kick another opiate. Getting clean is easy, staying clean is the difficult part. AW21, find yourself a support group. NA has been around a long, long time for a reason.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Unless you have tried it,don't knock it. It's not the first time I had done it. When I was on Oxy,I used darvocet to get off them and had zero w/d symptoms. I was able to stop the Darvocet ct without problems.
    The key to having success is having the will power to stay clean. You have to want it or it won't work.
    I had to go back on vicodin since the weather changed and there are days I can't do anything without being in horrible pain. I was given 5mg 2x a day but I have only been taking them when I am in pain and know the other non opiate meds won't work. I started out with 60 on the 18th and still have 55 pills left. There are some days I will just deal with the pain and not take it. I know what addiction feels like and how hard it was to break the cycle and that drives me to not abuse what I have now. I can get 60 pills every 30 days but I am shooting for the 60 I was given to last 60 days instead. It all depends on the weather here. I know when March comes,I will be able to stop using again and not deal with w/ds. I made my Dr aware of that and told her that I don't want very many and not to raise my dosage or amount she prescribes me.

I will not recommend a replacement drug for an addict, it's too easy to replace one addiction for another, even using the benzos in the Thomas Recipe is a slippery thing to do. No one on this site will recommend using another opiate to get off another opiate. First off, hydro addiction can be overcome within or around 5-7 days.
    You are right vicodin addiction is really hard to overcome, as is any other opiate. I congratulate you on your ability to control your use. That is extremely hard to do. Most of us just can't do this.

Peace,

Iloerose