Quitting painkillers log with supplements... wanted some support
    tryingtoquit1979 is offline New Member

Default Quitting painkillers log with supplements... wanted some support

Hi First time posting, but I've been reading this type of message board every time I want to quit. I admit reading the threads helps a lot to put things in perspective.

So this past Friday at 8am, I took my last dose. Now it's Sunday around 230pm, and wanted to share my experience thus far. Maybe make some supportive friends along the way. I would say I've been a casual user of painkillers for 6 years, w the last 3 getting a little too much to handle. Had a bout w sobriety for about 6 months 2 years ago between binges and really felt alive (shocking!).

Anyway I relapsed, nothing too too bad, I'd say I'm a low to moderate daily user. Enough to drive me nuts and use up all my spare cash. I live alone, have a decent fun job that takes a lot out of me, but unfortunately spent a lot of resources on the medication. It's a big problem. Creativity drained. Sex life null. The pills are bad news for me despite their physical allure. I used to enjoy things in life naturally, then added pills. The anxiety of losing the "fun" feeling I used to have without pills is really scary to me. I hope I didn't mess up my natural pleasure receptors forever :-(

So, I decided again to stop before the return to work after the holidays, although the relapses I've recently been through this past week has sort of put a dent in that plan. Oh well. I'm actually sick.

I've stocked up with a lot of supplements and wanted to share just in case it might help someone or start a conversation. I'm almost on day 3 and it's not as bad as I thought... but I'm bracing for this week in general. This plan is basically a variation on the thomas recipe. Almost everything is over the counter.

1. In the morning on empty stomach:

- 1000mg L-Tyrosine
    - 1200mg SAM-e
    - 500mg L-Methionine
    - 500mg L-Glutamine
    - 4mg Loperamide (Imodium)

2. Wait 30-60 minutes and eat something. Like a good hearty cereal.

- Good multivitamin (Alive Daily)
    - Fish Oil
    - Potassium
    - Asprin
    - Maca Pill
    - Magnesium
    - 2 Metamucil Pills
    - Probiotic Pill
    - Hylands restless legs pills (I hate the feeling of opiate rls, and I have a mild bit of it sometimes. Drives you CRAZY)

Smoke some legal marijuana. Or eat it. Walk around the city... I know exercise is evidently important so I've been walking around 4-5 miles a day so far. Pretty exhausted, but it takes away the time (which stands still during w/ds), and I read it helps with recovery. I get really anxious, so walking around helps from the endless thoughts and freaky feelings.

3. Lunch

- MAYBE another imodium before I eat just in case.
    - Real Food or
    - liquid food: ensure/instant breakfast
    - Another round of highlands restless legs just in case.

Figure out how to spend the afternoon. I have some time off from work which is great, but my mind wanders. Again, I get a wave of manageable anxiety so I try to distract myself (writing this) or trying to spend time with friends (one who knows and is going through the same issue, the one in particular who I care for a lot but doesn't know what I'm going through). Talking to people helps, but I feel trapped too because I need this to be as much as a secret as possible.

At night, lately around 8 I take a benzo to sleep. You could also take an advil pm or some melatonin. I hate benzos in general, but do like the way they can shut everything off for me for the night so I'm lucky. I'm very careful to not exchange one habit for another, so no worries there. Another day almost done. I hope to continue to update. Good luck to anyone reading this freaking out :-)

tryingtoquit

gottidog is offline Member

Hi there, I'm on day 36 and supplements/nutrition played a huge part(i believe) in making me feel as good as i did much sooner than most posts i read of people going through this. One thing i would suggest though, is that you take the L-tyro by itself first thing with a glass of water. L-tyro has a low bio-availability and the other supplements you are taking with it are competing for the same "space", from what i have read on it. I have a thread detailing my supplements and nutrition if you want to read it. It's kind of long and more than I can put in a post so I just refer people to it when i want to suggest something. Another huge part of why i think my w/d went so well is protein shakes. My routine went something like this... 2000-3000mg of L-tyro as soon as i woke up with a glass of water, wait 45 minutes, eat a banana or orange with my multvitamin, wait 2 hours, drink a protein shake(usually around 10am), wait 2-3 hours, eat lunch(grilled chicken breast and broccoli), another protein shake around 5pm, then dinner(either more chicken or grilled fish). I would go for a walk around 11am. It was a very strict diet and regiment but i followed it for 3 weeks until christmas came and I couldn't pass up all the good food. At day 14 I felt really good and have felt pretty good since then.

Thanks for the response I really appreciate it... I have been drinking a good deal of protein shakes as a bit of a meal replacement since I'm not especially hungry yet so hopefully I'm on a good path. Also will try to take the Tyrosine on it's own for now...then take the rest 30 minutes or so later. So far (this is about day 4), I'm feeling much better than expected. I took today off from work (just in case) and will resume tomorrow. Pot (and a little benzo at night) has helped with my opiate induced anxiety which really freaks me out... but on the flip side that restless nervousness in the pit of my stomach and the far-reaches of my brain MAKES me walk 5-6 miles a day ha ha

I'm bracing for the PAWS, and hope to get back into the gym (I've been so sedentary since my pill obsession these past 4 or so years) to help that out... and make me feel better in general.

Thanks again for responding :-)

Also wanted to add that I've been supplementing with very high CBD sprays, strips and strains, as well as the normal edibles. I'm wondering if the CBD is helping my wd symptoms? I'm on day 4 basically with tolerable symptoms. Almost home free... then I get to deal with the dreaded PAWS with clearer eyes.

I did a little research, and evidently this CBD has documented results in lessening opiate withdrawal. If you live in a legal state, most places have them readily available. They don't have any psychoactive effects, so it's interesting. Wanted to share to those looking for some relief.

Just a quick update... I always wonder what happens to the people who drop off the threads. I seriously hope they have recovered from their addiction! I'm still holding strong about 3 weeks later. Still continuing with the basic supplement plan. Feeling fairly good, but not 100%. Sleep is slowly returning, no opiate induced rls (it was crazy the first 5 days). I work and walk around the neighborhood a lot. CBD and pot help to "relax" at the end of the day. I think it also helps with subduing the cravings.