• 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
  • 1 Post By Addictednurse
  • 1 Post By Addictednurse
  • 2 Post By Addictednurse
Quitting Percocet cold turkey
    Addictednurse is offline New Member

Default Quitting Percocet cold turkey

Hello,

I've been addicted to Percocet for 4 years, slowly increasing in amounts. The last month that I was using I was taking approx 6 a day, some days more some days less. None of my friends or family know at all, it's my deepest darkest secret and being a nurse I can't get help publically.

I railed my last perc on Saturday night. The first couple days I wasn't sure if I was quitting for good or if I would start back up when I got money again. Yesterday morning I broke down and decided enough is enough and told my dealers I was done. I feel ok physically other than diarrhea which I'm taking Immodium for. I feel I'm more emotional than usual, but that's expected I guess.

I just want to know what I can expect? Someone told me week 3 is the worst and I was really hoping it won't last that long. I also get paid on Thursday and am worried that I'll want to go out and buy some. Are there any resources for online chatting or calling an addictions councillor? I'm located in Ontario.

Thanks for all your help,

A withdrawing nurse
    Catrina and Ricky71 like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Addictednurse View Post
    Hello,

I've been addicted to Percocet for 4 years, slowly increasing in amounts. The last month that I was using I was taking approx 6 a day, some days more some days less. None of my friends or family know at all, it's my deepest darkest secret and being a nurse I can't get help publically.

I railed my last perc on Saturday night. The first couple days I wasn't sure if I was quitting for good or if I would start back up when I got money again. Yesterday morning I broke down and decided enough is enough and told my dealers I was done. I feel ok physically other than diarrhea which I'm taking Immodium for. I feel I'm more emotional than usual, but that's expected I guess.

I just want to know what I can expect? Someone told me week 3 is the worst and I was really hoping it won't last that long. I also get paid on Thursday and am worried that I'll want to go out and buy some. Are there any resources for online chatting or calling an addictions councillor? I'm located in Ontario.

Thanks for all your help,

A withdrawing nurse
    Welcome!

I don't know who told you that week 3 is the worst but they are WRONG! You are on Day 4 of cold turkey, right? Were the percs you were taking 5mg each? Total of around 30mg/day? Regardless, by today you have gone through the worst of the acute physical stuff. The bathroom issues may persist for a while longer but Immodium does a good job and that's the least of it in my opinion. If you've had any restless legs, etc. that should be all but gone in another day or two. Hang tight through payday and welcome to recovery! Don't look back and I promise one thing, you won't be sorry.

Here's what to expect. Your energy will continue to be lower than what you're used to and your sleep patterns will take a bit longer to level out. Keep busy, drink plenty of water and other beverages with electrolytes, exercise, and take one moment, one day at a time. Each day will have you feeling better and better so instead of week 3 being the worst, the opposite is true. The one thing I would mention is that for me it was true that by the time I reached 3 weeks, I was feeling pretty full of myself and the thoughts of being able to control it if I just took a couple of pills this once would creep up on me. Don't step into that trap! Be vigilant and be careful. Stay committed.

Read and post here often. The more you post with updates, the more responses you'll get. In my first weeks, I'd post multiple times every day and during the overnight hours when I couldn't sleep. You can do this. Be strong.

Peace,

Cat
    Ricky71 likes this.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

I agree with Cat week 3 is definitely not the worst. For me DAY 4 was the worst and it was uphill from there. However what that person might have meant was cravings, mild depression, lethargy and low energy might make it harder to resist temptation than the first few days, when you're all pumped to get 'er done. So yes beware of that. For me it took a good two or three months to feel back up to normal in those aspects. Just hang tight.
    Ricky71 likes this.

Hi guys,

First of all, thank you sooo much for replying! I've seen you on other threads, Cat, and I was excited to see you reply as I know you're very knowledgeable. Yes I was doing the 5mg ones. I tried to never have less than 4 a day and some pay days as many as 10 a day (but that wasn't often).

Day 4 was honestly a breeze! I don't think I've had restless legs, and the Immodium helped tons. I'm drinking lots of fluids & taking lots of vitamins. I'm not sleeping much, but I feel fine to go about my days (I'm off work til Friday night). Tomorrow is payday and I'm planning to pay my bills and go grocery shopping and then hang out with my sober friends. I'm confident. I can't believe how great I feel.

I was at such a low point. I hated myself and what I had become. I was so miserable all the time, and now that I am off them I just feel a sense of relief. I no longer have to hide the pills and feel guilty. I really feel like I never want to touch another pill in my life.

I know these thoughts may change, and maybe I'll start having cravings. I hope I can look back on how good I feel and know I don't want to go back. This is my first time ever putting in a good effort to quit, I don't want to have to do it again. Thank you so much for your support.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-14-2016 at 04:50 AM.
    Ricky71 likes this.

Day 5 is going well I woke up this morning and actually thought about doing one for the first time this week. It was really weird. Just habit to think about it when I wake up, I guess. I didn't really crave it, or even think about buying any (even though I got paid today)

I'm doing really well. I feel great and am excited. I noticed Ricky (can't see the reply now?) had suggested not drinking. I completely understand why someone would suggest that, however I do have plans to drink tonight with my sober friend. I'm not a drinker. I've had 2 occasions that I drank in the last year, and I have *never* drank and did pills at the same time. My friend and I are planning to have a few glasses of wine and play some games, so I honestly have no concerns but totally appreciate your concern.

It's hard to believe how good I feel. I'm still taking the Immodium regularly and lots of vitamins. I'm surprised I'm not in pain. I have a bad back, which I suffer flare ups from. I feel any time I went longer than 24hr without pills before I was in so much pain! I was scared to go more than a day without, yet this time I haven't had any pain. I am worried that when I have a bad flare up that I'll want something stronger than the Naproxen & Tramacet that I have prescribed. But I will need to try non-pharmacological methods to ease my pain. I'm in recovery for life, pain or no pain. ❤️ Thanks again for all your replies and well wishes
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Addictednurse View Post
    Day 5 is going well ������ I woke up this morning and actually thought about doing one for the first time this week. It was really weird. Just habit to think about it when I wake up, I guess. I didn't really crave it, or even think about buying any (even though I got paid today)

I'm doing really well. I feel great and am excited. I noticed Ricky (can't see the reply now?) had suggested not drinking. I completely understand why someone would suggest that, however I do have plans to drink tonight with my sober friend. I'm not a drinker. I've had 2 occasions that I drank in the last year, and I have *never* drank and did pills at the same time. My friend and I are planning to have a few glasses of wine and play some games, so I honestly have no concerns but totally appreciate your concern.

It's hard to believe how good I feel. I'm still taking the Immodium regularly and lots of vitamins. I'm surprised I'm not in pain. I have a bad back, which I suffer flare ups from. I feel any time I went longer than 24hr without pills before I was in so much pain! I was scared to go more than a day without, yet this time I haven't had any pain. I am worried that when I have a bad flare up that I'll want something stronger than the Naproxen & Tramacet that I have prescribed. But I will need to try non-pharmacological methods to ease my pain. I'm in recovery for life, pain or no pain. ❤️ Thanks again for all your replies and well wishes ������
    YAY!! Glad you're feeling well. Let me just tell ya--I have a bum back too. I finally had surgery this past February and was sent home with a full bottle of percs. I would have been in heaven 7 years ago feeling like I hit the lottery. I took 1 on two separate occasions during the first few days after surgery and got rid of the rest of them. My back has been bad for years. Turns out that Naproxen or Motrin helped more than the opiates. I swear by Excedrin for headaches. They work! The first time you do need to take something for your back or anything else take something over the counter and then wait about 1/2 hour. Just stop and reassess your level of pain. This took practice for me by the way. I finally realized the pain was lessened and I just wasn't used to that without the accompanied buzz. I had to learn to separate the two.

Have fun tonight. I love my girlfriends. We get together once a month and play board games. Good for the soul!

Peace,

Cat

Day 9!! I made it to Day 9, and then I found a Percocet.

I grabbed the bottle, stared at the pill through the bottle and felt my heart skip a beat. The moment of truth. I took the pill out to make sure it was in fact a Perc..and it was. I just sat there and rubbed it. I'm not throwing this all away for 1 Perc. Or 200 Percs. >>>> it, I flushed it.

I say it in every post, I can't believe how good I feel! I returned to work on Friday night, and it went great! I haven't had anymore diarrhea since Saturday, what a relief that's been. I'm glad I got that test out of the way, I hope I continue to have strength to say no if they pop up again.

If anyone is addicted to Percs and reading this, I say just quit! Even if you're doing way more than me, by day 5 you'll feel great. I feel so full of life & love. I've been surrounded by loved ones and ensuring to keep myself busy. I feel like I have life again, and it's an amazing feeling.
    Catrina and Gilsmom like this.

airMax85 is offline New Member

Default 1st Post / Quick Story

Ita been about 4 years since an ex handed me that tiny white pill with 5/325 on it. I was itchy but felt like I could conquer anything. But I've done some much to acquire this little demons that I can't blame her anymore. I managed to go ONE full year without them. It was always Oxy (5s,10s,15s,20s,30s). I would go a day or two without them, with minor WDs I believe only because knowledge I knew they be back soon. I had NO PAIN, no broken limbs, no stress, I just wanted to be on Jupiter. This is my 2nd time this month going CT. The first was 12days. After Day4 I felt an immediate difference. It wasn't amazing but I saw success. Of course I said just ONE then easily became sucked back in the cycle. Doesn't work that way. Just like a criminal, a cheater, an aspiring artist, or a strategic military general... OUR minds will find a way to get what we want.

I've taken a trip for a death in the family, ill prepared (No Oxy) but with that time going through mild WD, no sleep and lack of energy, I'm on Day3 and can see the light again.Ive been eating regularly and ONLY have melatonin.