Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
Reaching Out For Help
    bugmeetswindshield is offline New Member

Post Reaching Out For Help

Hi,
    Like so many others, I originally began taking pain meds for legitimate reasons. I had a sever tib/fib break and ended up with an IR rod from knee to ankle. Also have a history with abuse. Long story, made short...I am currently taking 15-20 10/325 norcos every day. I realize that even if I am lucky enough not to OD on the opiates, I have to be causing severe liver damage from the Tylenol intake. I can't afford to keep up this habit, not just financially, but also because of the toll it is taking on my marriage, family and work.

I want to quit but am terrified by the stories of WD. Also, these pills have become my lifeline with regards to survival. Not just from physical pain, but from the cluster-&%#@ that is my life. I no longer care about anything but getting pills and am completely empty. Tapering is unrealistic, for on a daily basis I tell myself that I will "stretch" out my supply, only to be left chasing a new one the next day. Suboxone sounds like something that would be an easier fix, however I have read countless stories of people becoming as dependent and that the WD from Subs is more harsh than the pills.

I have to get off this vicious hamster wheel and cold turkey seems like the only "real" solution. This is where the absolute terror sets in again. I'm curious, will I make it if I just quit, cold turkey? How can I continue to function with work, where I'm barely hanging on anyhow, and family commitments? I'm not seeing any hope at this point and don't know where to go from here. I have reached out to an old friend who is in recovery and laid it all out. I'm to begin attending meetings this week, but just don't know if this is even possible to beat.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi, and welcome. Yes, you can beat this, but you have to really want to more than anything.

Bottom line: you're gonna feel like hell for about 3-5 days during WD. There are some things you can do to make it a little easier:

Follow the Thomas Recipe
    Stay well hydrated
    Get some Ensure or Boost since you won't feel like eating
    Try to get out for walks
    Hot baths to help with sweats/chills
    See if you can get a script for clonidine
    Get Loperimide (some people take it in large doses to help WD, just be careful)

Also, you should re-post this on the "Need to Talk" board. You'll get a lot more replies and be able to read threads of people who are currently detoxing too.

Good luck!
    Kat
    nursestudent13 likes this.

I CTed from that amount of Norco many times, unfortunately went right back, but I wasn't ready to quit. I can tell you all I used was Benadryl, immodium and maybe one benzo, and the wd was nasty but not unbearable. For me the 3 days were the worst, and I was able to function. If you are truly ready to get away from this beast you can do it. The WD is very short lived, its the cravings that are so horrible. I went to a methadone program and am still tapering today. I would not recommend suboxone, it like methadone is much harder to get off of than Norco, the wd can lasts from months on it. You need to make a plan to get into a therapist, and start a NA or some kind of program. It will seriously increases your chances of sobriety. I know, I didn't like the sound of it either, but you wouldn't believe how much it helps with the cravings. Best wishes, you have to want this more than anything.

The Husband is offline Member

Bug its would be my advice to just go c/t 200mg hydro is equal to about 100mg oxy I jumped off 80mg daily decade use of oxy and am no 140 days clean.

Hydro w/d are not as intense as stronger opiates but I would say with your intake 7 days will be a knockdown drag out fight. The RLS and sleep will be the last things for you body to overcome. I believe I felt significantly better after two weeks.

adelitaashmi is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Husband View Post
    Bug its would be my advice to just go c/t 200mg hydro is equal to about 100mg oxy I jumped off 80mg daily decade use of oxy and am no 140 days clean.

Hydro w/d are not as intense as stronger opiates but I would say with your intake 7 days will be a knockdown drag out fight. The RLS and sleep will be the last things for you body to overcome. I believe I felt significantly better after two weeks.

Try to avoid such..I just seen various cases which are as horrible as we can not imagine.