ready to give up trying to get help
    rcornwe is offline New Member

Default ready to give up trying to get help

My name is wynn and I am addicted to opiate pain killers. I have been trying to get help for three months now and have gotten nothing but frustration.

I've had issues with scoliosis, stenosis, dddn etc most of my adult life. The fall of 2013 it became unbearable and I stopped working to have my first surgery - a laminectomy and decompression. Things only got worse. This past April I had a 4 level fusion done from l2-l3 down to l5-s1 and screws into my pelvis.

Needless to say i got addicted to opiates. My goal for this last surgry was to fix the root cause of my pain to get oof the opiates but it has been a nightmare trying to get help.

After my surgery and healed up a bit I checked into a rehab across the country, hopefully to switch to subutex for pain mgmt. I was using obamacare for insurance. I was at rehab a few days and found out my obamacare subsidy was taken away because i was $2000 short of being able to prove I made the required income. Not being able to afford the premium without the subsidy my insurance was cancelled and the rehab sent me home. I was devastated. I thought I was going to be there 60-90 days so I had moved out of where I was living....unable to afford a new place I became homeless and ended up in a shelter and back on the pain meds. Finally I got enough money to get a room and decided to try detox again. Now being on medicaid my options were pretty limitedn but I tried what I could. The detox didn't want me because of my back but reluctantly let me in. I only wanted to get switched over to a suboxone program but was told I had to go thru inpatient detox first which makes no sense but whatever. I was there one night and the next day they threw me out because I inquired about using sub for pain mgmt to another patient and we weren't supposed to discuss meds with each other. My mistake yes, but no warning, nothing....they just kicked me out. So I then tried the outpatient route but they said they can't help that I need pain mgmt. I caved and refilled my scripts while still searching for help.

I go back to my pain doc on the 10th and I guess I'll have to come clean with everything. I'm really scared to tell them anything because I don't want to get cut off completely as I do still need medical help, but I can't keep on my reg pain meds (oxy's, fentanyl, lyrica, cymbalta). They are killing me and I can't take them as prescribed anyway.

I am so disgusted with rehabs and trying to get help only to be shot down. The ones I've dealt with treat you like >>>> with no counseling or anything. Being on medicaid makes it very hard to get help.

I don't know what to do but this is really taking it's toll on me mentally and physically. My thoughts have become nothing but negative and I've lost hope that I can get help.

Sorry for the long post but I needed to vent. Any support or suggestions would be appreciated. Society always says to ask for help but getting it is not as easy as people think since rehab is such a profit oriented business these days.

Wynn

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

I only wanted to get switched over to a suboxone program but was told I had to go thru inpatient detox first which makes no sense but whatever.
    It does make sense because you have to get through a certain amount of withdrawals before you can be inducted onto suboxone. If you switch over too soon, you get thrown into precipitated withdrawals, which is like withdrawals on steroids, you don't want to go there.

I go back to my pain doc on the 10th and I guess I'll have to come clean with everything. I'm really scared to tell them anything because I don't want to get cut off completely as I do still need medical help, but I can't keep on my reg pain meds (oxy's, fentanyl, lyrica, cymbalta). They are killing me and I can't take them as prescribed anyway.
    Why did you check into a rehab across the country to get off the pain meds instead of discussing it with your pain doctor? It might be too late to undo this damage but in hindsight, maybe you should have gone to the pain doc first and told him you were unhappy on the oxy and fentanyl and asked if there were other options. This pain doc might also prescribe subs for pain management.

In any case, what's done is done. All you can do is tell the pain doc you are unhappy on the oxy/fentanyl and that you tried to switch to suboxone under another doctor's care, that didn't work out and was a mistake, and you would like to remain under this doctor's care and does he agree that you should switch to suboxone? If so will he please manage it for you?

You do not know at this point whether the surgery fixed the root cause of your pain. This doctor will need to evaluate that and you should gather your thoughts on that subject.

Whatever changes you make in your pain meds, I would recommend remaining stable on the Lyrica and Cymbalta. In the long run you might want to get off those too but they should be tapered very slowly.

I am so sorry for what you have been through and I hope you continue to get good care from your doctor.

Thanks...yeah got caught up in the marketing for the rehab in CA....should have just gone to my doc in the first place. Private rehabs will do anything to get your insurance money. Thx for the reply.

Ladyblue1866 is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rcornwe View Post
    Thanks...yeah got caught up in the marketing for the rehab in CA....should have just gone to my doc in the first place. Private rehabs will do anything to get your insurance money. Thx for the reply.
    Yes I agree Rcornwe, when I was first going through the roughest part of withdrawls I called everyone just trying to get some help one center said they would fly me to Florida, I could get on a plane that evening.... My insurance would cover it... I was in so much pain and mental discuss I just wanted to get away I didn't care... Just wanted the world to stop while I took care of myself... I don't know why my insurance company called me and said they would not cover the cost they were out of network for me... I called the rehab center back with the insurance company on the line and the insurance company took all the info... Said they would not cover the cost of my treatment.... The guy at the rehab center got very upset and said why did you call your insurance company? I said I didnt they called me... The guy from Rehab then call my emergency contacts I have given him only for emergency and told them I had a problem and need to get on that plane that night... I could believe he reached out to my daughter.... I was out done... He continued to call me repeatly over the next few days... I want to sue the heck out of them because they had no right betraying my confidence.... These places are a scam if you ask me... And it's horrible they play on our sickness for gain....

Default thanks

Ladyblue.....thank you for the reply. Sickening isn't it? When desperate for help they take advantage of it. I thought it was just me. Sorry it's not but it does help knowing others feel the same way. I just want help to get off the opiates and had no idea it would be so difficult. I guess now I've broken my pain mgmt contract and am really scared they are just going to cut me off. I don't know what else to do though.

Take care and thx again.
    Wynn

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcornwe View Post
    I understand. You were caught between private and government bad practice. This combined into the perfect storm to mess you up.