Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LLpat
So when does the diarrhea start - soon? Also, I have to work through it.
    LLpat is offline New Member

Default So when does the diarrhea start - soon? Also, I have to work through it.

Y'see, I actually WANT that diarrhea. Huh? I'm new.

I'm dealing with Lyme Disease and the intense pain it can cause... however, constipation is worse. It is questionable whether it is from the Vicoprofen or the disease, and I need to find out.

I've been taking up to 3 tablets (7.5/200) for a bit more than a year. But even before I got the Rx I had bowel problems and insensitivity.

One doctor says it is the pain medication, no questions. Then why was I having 3 BMS a day up until recently? The Lyme doctor says it is Dysautonia in the bowels... and a GI confirmed that I have rectal insensitivity. Basically I don't feel it coming out, but she just says IBS with Pelvic Floor syndrome (love them syndromes).

So I have to figure out if it is the disease or the medication. I cut back to 2 a day a week ago, then 1.25 a day 3 days ago. I do not see evidence of what I've read are withdrawal symptoms even with that drastic cut back for the long time taken (mind you, Lyme has its own symptoms, including chills, major muscle aches, joint pain, tremors, RLS... so distinguishing the two from each other may be difficult? Dunno - I keep thinking I could tell if it is WD or not.

Anyway, the point of all of this is, when does the diarrhea start? Do I have to be OFF of the medication for a couple of days? At my dose level, it then might be best to just do that jump because, well, I have to work, and if the worst hits on a Saturday/Sunday (day 3/4), so much the better.

The other issue is because of the Lyme, I've used up all of my leave time, so unless an ambulance takes me to the hospital (or I wake up Lyme paralyzed) I have to be at work.

Its a pickle. I've been to the ER three times in the past year for this pain and all they ever found was constipation (means 3 catscans, lots of radiation - the difference now is that (sorry for details) I'm still having them with the pain/sensation of blockage. Colonscopy within the last 18 months, fine.

So... 3 (7.5/200s) a day for over a year. Reduction to two a week ago, reduction to 1 three days ago... nothing dramatic (note that is 1/2 twice a day). Bodes well or means nothing?

I have to find out if it is the Vicoprofen or the disease. But need to know if the diarrhea doesn't start until AFTER one quits.

Okay - I get it, not the usual type of question. So I'm going to move ahead and not take that .25 tablet tonight and see if I can get by on just Ibuprofen tomorrow (keeping in mind the disease pain is intense).

Need to get the gut in order as best I can, so I need to find out where the problem is coming from. So this may turn into a typical thread as I work on just stopping.

I don't know if it is considered cold turkey when the stopping total dose is 9.375 mg? I have a friend who has crazy bad pain and regularly needs 8 Norco a day. This person says not a big deal to jump off of 1 Vicoprofen. Guess I'll find out. Just depends on the disease-source pain. Some of it originates in the "man parts" and feels like an unrelenting vice grip... Vicoprofen was the only thing that helped. So also concerned about that.

So, now that this is "out there" the die is cast... (There are some potentially complicating issues if this turns into full blown withdrawal.)

Guess I'm speaking to nobody. May not be helpful to keep coming back.

Wow, been sneezing a lot, a whole lot. Turn to google, so... sneezing is part of this? Okaaaay.

If you are sneezing alot, the gut problems should start soon. It is usually between 24 a nd 48 hours off the narcotics that the diarrhea should start. Going cold turkey is the best way to get it started soon. Best wishes.

Thanks. Hope it works out that way... timing for a weekend. I may take that back yet...

Still just sneezing, coming up on 48 hours. I better not be the one on the edge of the bell curve with hardly any W/D symptoms.

In my case, that wouldn't help. Hey, I don't like feel like >>>> like anyone else... I'm kind of used to it from the lyme.

Approaching 72 hours and nothing (except that the sneezes have stopped). I supposed those who have suffered through withdrawals would be very envious... cold turkey and so far nada (it was a low dose, but for an extended period of time, more than a year).

I fear that if the floodgates don't open today I'll have to go to the ER with the pain to check for obstruction (which would be serious) - only thing is that the last two times they only found constipation (after Cat Scans, I don't want more radiation) and sent me on my merry way - except that they injected Dilaud (spelling?). I don't want that because I don't want any more opiates while I'm figuring this out (well, unless they ALSO injected Methylnaltraxone).

This is the "schedule" I found:

36 hours - WDs start. achy arm and legs and mild stomach discomfort.

72 hours - worst symptoms appear . GI issues with continued muscle aches and pain (still mild)

96 hours - the worst is over. Continued GI issues and insomnia now with RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome)

Day 5 - should be feeling much better.

Like I said, nearly 72 hours and nothing (I even risked coffee - nothing). Well, maybe it takes longer for some people?

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Most people would be in WD by the 72 hour mark. Perhaps your symptoms aren't too bad because you were taking a very low dose of opiates. Not sure. I would think that if you haven't hit full blown WD, it may not happen. That's a good thing!

Like nursestudent said, the diarrhea usually starts after one has completely quit the pills.

Good luck to you!

Yeah, at 84 hours since quitting. Nothing worse than the pain (which is SUBSTANTIAL) from the Lyme and a couple of normal bowel movements (which IS an improvement). I really wanted 1) evidence that a significant part of what I've been suffering from is attributable to using (as prescribed) Vicoprofen for over a year, 18 months? and 2) the negative feedback of withdrawal (even though it would benefit me) to discourage me from using as prescribed in the future.

So far this isn't happening. Well, still is early? I also believed that a proper taper would be 10% at a time, I did 50% at a time. Maybe I'm just used to the Lyme symptoms, which are similar to some of the withdrawal stuff* (had them before starting pain meds). Or maybe, for me, 2 or 3 tablets really is a low dose.

Anyway, the lack of major withdrawal symptoms, so far, is individual and is in no way meant to encourage or discourage anyone else from quitting.

*As an example, shakes and drenching sweats are par for the disease's course.

Still the same this evening. Fascinating.

I was on Xanax for a medical condition years ago for an extended period of time, now THAT was WD - even doing it the right way (converting to an equivalent Valium taper). Hurt all the way to the last few crumbs. This, not so much... actually not much of anything jumping off at 9 mg.

Will see what tomorrow brings, have to be back at work, no choice, only in even more pain. So, that would be one surprise of a delay, tomorrow is day 5 off.

Day 5 and still no significant WD symptoms - at least not the really annoying ones. Since my sheet was separated from my blanket, I figure we have some RLS going on... plus I woke up wide awake at 4:00 - so, there is that.

Everything else can be attributed to the TBD IMO. Fascinating, 2-4 tablets a day for 18 months (possibly 24), quick drop then stop and nothing spectacular. I was afraid over nothing.

At least I haven't had to take a laxative for 3 days, and THAT is good... but I still think the problem wasn't the medication due to how things, urgh, come out (resembles IBS-C, painful).

So how can I make this useful for other people? Taper if you can, when you get down to 1 a day (or less), probably a good time to stop. That's how it has worked for me (caveat: so far).

Day 6 - can we assume that if I haven't had any of the classic withdrawal symptoms that I'm out of the woods in regards to that?

I guess I wasn't addicted then*. But because the bowels are somewhat better I'm highly motivated not to take anymore except in cases of extreme pain (9-12 on a scale of 10) because I want to see if the reason they are not normal was the medication or disease process (which includes taking a boatload of antibiotics).

Dodged a bullet here.

*Even though it was long term lower dose daily use. How odd.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

shawn156 is offline Member

I was on a low dose and withdrawal wasn't to bad. Day 2 was the worse and after that,besides stomach pains,I was fine. Still have the back pain but with the change of laws in my state,I am opting not to take the pain meds any longer

Never got any withdrawal symptoms. I was on the stuff for nearly two years (3 x day) - down to 2 then 1 for a few days. Go figure.

Bowels have worked better off of it, but not so much as I had hoped. The Lyme disease is probably also in the colon messing things up and this was just a small factor.

So much pain one day had to take a half pill. Next day blocked up - so I'm loathe to do it except in extreme pain now. Again, no withdrawal from that usage.