• 2 Post By iloerose
  • 1 Post By shawn156
  • 1 Post By iloerose
  • 2 Post By Catrina
Stopping Norco Tomorrow - Would like support during the process
    hbendz is offline New Member

Exclamation Stopping Norco Tomorrow - Would like support during the process

Hello,

I am a 45 year old female currently on 5-6 Norcos a day, and have been for 2.5 years following a spinal fusion. I've tried to taper for the past 2 weeks and have decided to go cold turkey tomorrow as the taper is too hard. I currently have myofacial syndrome so I am in pain. However, I think my body is driving me to take the Norco out of dependency >>. pain. I am ready to come off the Norcos and feel the true pain status of my body good or bad.

I do have 2 small children and am concerned about them seeing me go through this process. My thought is to have me and my husband tell them that I am sick. I do have my husband's support to go through this process. I am particularly concerned about RLS, the feeling that I want to come out of my body and being "snippy" toward those around me.

It would mean a lot to me if you could provide any advice for what I am about to face. Also, if you could support me through the next several days as I go on ths journey. I remember when I came off of Morphine a few weeks after my surgery I bit into a slice of mild cheese. My taste buds felt like they had been electrocuted. That is when I realized how numbed my entire body had been by that nasty stuff. I can't wait to find out what awakens after I am off Norco.

Thank you for any advice and support you can offer.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

This is what you'll be likely to experience: Flu-like symptoms for about 3-5 days, some people say day 3 is the worst of it and it's all uphill from there, meaning each day you'll feel better. So, yup, mommies got the flu. That works.

Things you can do to keep yourself more comfortable:

1. Make sure you are taking a good multi-vitamin with pottasium
    2. Stay hydrated. Gatorade is good and will help with the RLS and any cramping.
    3. Get some Hyland's Restful leg or Calme's Forte. (restless leg)
    4. Eat bananas, drink orange juice, other fruit juices as well.
    5. Hot baths
    6. Have a positive attitude. Don't let your imagination run away with you.
    7. Get some exercise, moderate exercise will do.

And of course you will get lots of support here. It's slow on the weekends, but I'll be around the boards. Stay
    strong. You will get through this. Duration and the quantity make a difference as does the person. Attitude is everything. You will be surprised how much better you feel.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-23-2013 at 08:13 AM.
    Kikker and shawn156 like this.

Default Thank You

Thank you so much! My saint of a husband went and got everything you listed. So far the hardest part is working thru my pain without the use of Norco. But, I am hanging in there! Thank you for yor advice and support!

shawn156 is offline Member

You are doing the right thing by going off them and seeing what it's like without the meds. I have been clean for almost a week now,but my intake wasn't as much as your intake is. Withdrawal symptoms effect everybody differently as far as intensity goes and which ones you do get. With me,I barely noticed it the last 2 times I went CT. You could be lucky and not have a very hard time going ct. I really can't add more to what Iloerose has already added except that your sleep pattern will be a little crazy until your body adjust to the change.Sleep when you can and where ever you can.Have imodium so you don't run to the bathroom like crazy. I think that is all I can add that Iloerose didn't. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hbendz View Post
    Thank you so much! My saint of a husband went and got everything you listed. So far the hardest part is working thru my pain without the use of Norco. But, I am hanging in there! Thank you for yor advice and support!
    That's another downside to going CT.You will have phantom pains.It's the pills trying to get you to take them back.It usually only last a few days and then you start noticing the changes and the things you missed while using.
    Kikker likes this.

Kikker is offline Advanced Member

welcome to the forum. u will receive lots of support here as u fight thru the detox. make sure u post often if at all possible. really helps to get things out. ask questions, rant if u feel the need, and keep track of the progress u make.

i know Iloerose gave u some things that will help the symptoms and she is so right. all of those things really do help. i will also give u the link to the "thomas recipe" that many use here and swear by it. has some of the same items Rose suggested, and a few different ones with ways to use them all.

the thomas recipe suggests the use of benzo type drugs and i am one person that is afraid of those. i only suggest that IF u do decide to use any of those type meds that u inform ur doctor first. i would only use them for very short periods of time, if at all. if u don't need them, don't use them. link is below....

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

good luck and hang in there. really have to want this more than anything else in order to be successful. u can do it. u've already taken the first step by coming here!

Well, the girls are asleep. All-in-all it hasn't been horrible today. The pain, RLS and over all glitters. I think the diarrhea is about to kick in. I have Immodium ready to take. My sister who is a nurse is very upset with what I am doing. She wants me to stop ASAP and taper. I know stopping cold is the right choice for me. Besides, I've almost made it through the first day!

Any tips on getting through the night? I do have some Ambien or Benadryl.

Thank you for your support!

This is day 1 right? You'll make it through. Tapering is like a 1000 cuts sometimes, especially with opiates like norco and the amount you were taking, just get it over with. You'll be done in a couple days. You can take either Ambien or benadryl for sleep, whichever works best for you. You will get through this! You get through the flu, right? You've got this!

Peace,

Iloerose

Redemption is offline New Member

Definitely made the right choice going cold turkey. When you taper it gets to the point where you are nearly in withdrawal everyday toward the end anyway. Wish I had seen your post earlier because you can get detox drugs from your doctor that make things so much easier, but you will be fine. I just detoxed cold turkey two weeks ago, used xanax and zyprexa on day 3 and it knocked me out. Anyway, you will definitely get through this! I would recommend getting on an antidepressant ASAP when youre done withdrawing. If you've never heard of PAWS, look it up. Something most long term opiate addicts must deal with.

Well, the girls are asleep. All-in-all it hasn't been horrible today. The pain, RLS and over all glitters. I think the diarrhea is about to kick in. I have Immodium ready to take. My sister who is a nurse is very upset with what I am doing. She wants me to stop ASAP and taper. I know stopping cold is the right choice for me. Besides, I've almost made it through the first day!

Any tips on getting through the night? I do have some Ambien or Benadryl.

Thank you for your support!
    It's going to rough to sleep for a few days and that is why I mentioned to nap when you can.That has always been a drawback for me except the last 2 times I stopped cold turkey,I slept a lot for 2-3 days and w/d was minimal. I am at 7 days clean today and feel just as normal as ever.Pain level has been a little high but I have 800mg ibuprofen to help with that and it does ok.

Morning of day 2. I woke up at 5:00 am. I freaked out my husband last night as I was having a really hard time wanting to jump out of my skin after I took the Ambien. I don't think I'll do that again. I've seen Valarian Root mentioned on this site. Any thoughts? Right now the restlessness and pain are the worst parts by far.

Take some tylenol, motrin, whatever and drink some gatorade and take some hyland's. I also took pottasium supplement. If the ambien bothers you don't take it. Valerian Root is very good for anxiety, try it. Many people use it. Walk off some of the restlessness, hot baths. Hyland's and gatorade, again. The pain you feel is also caused partly because you are taking away your meds and your brain wants those meds. You need to give it a few days for your endorphines (natural) opiates to begin working again. Many people are in more pain when they are just into detox, with pain levels going down after the drug is gone from their body. By the 5th day or so you will be able to better judge your pain and you may even be able to handle your pain in a better way.
    Yup, that RLS gets just about everybody and it's awful, but it does go away. Like I said 3-5 Days. Stay Strong and Go Hard as our resident kiwi says. You will get there.

Peace,

Iloerose

Please do NOT listen to the post above that recommends an anti-depressant, you won't need it. Exercise is the best remedy. Also do NOT go fishing on the internet for PAWS. Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome is extremely rare.
    dedicateddaddy likes this.

Thank you, Ilosrose. You have been such a help during ths time. Today has been a bit of a roller coaster. Right now I feel ok. We shall see hoe the rest of th day goes. I am a bit overwhelmed at the thought of what happens once I get through this.

It's going to be a roller coaster for a few days. It is what it is. You just take it one minute at a time, whatever, and pretty soon it passes. This too shall pass. Don't think too far ahead into the future, right now focus on getting through the w/d. The future will be what it is, I'm sure it will be better for you. These next few days will be the most trying, but you'll get through them, just go day by day.

Peace,

Iloerose

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hi,

Detox via cold turkey is a bear, no doubt. Tapering...at least for me...forget it! I'd rather rip the bandaid off. We've all bee sick with the flu or worse and there wasn't a damn thing to do but ride it out. Think of it exactly that way except that you know how long these symptoms will last. 5 days is certainly worth getting this over with. You'll feel alot both physically and mentally but getting your head in the right place is key, at least for me. I just got stubborn and refused to give in. Not saying it was easy. I took small baby steps watching to clock and telling myself that I'd get thru the next 1/2 hr, the soon the next hour and before too long telling myself that I'd just get thru today. On Day 5, I discovered that except for feeling like a weaking, the awfulness was gone. I got busy! Went to work and got my mind busy enough that making that one day at a time was a whole lot easier. Each day it got better and better and the pride I felt that I was clean was the ultimate reward. I'm a firm believer in cold turkey. I'd much rather be totally miserable for a few days then experiencing withdrawal for weeks or perhaps months during a taper! Oh yeah, I tried to taper! My script would last for a very short time (gobble, gobble) and found myself in cold turkey anyway. This has to be a choice. Not one that you're forced into simply because your supply is gone or you don't have the money or there's nothing around to buy. It has to be YOU making this choice because you want it and want it bad. Circumstances forcing you to quit don't usually work, or not for long anyway.

Good luck. You'll do this and be putting this behind you soon.

Peace,

Cat
    iloerose and jackcole like this.

Day 5!!!! Woo-hoo!!!! The only problem now is I have intense sciatica pain. My doctor gave me a couple of shots (anti-inflammatory &steroid) and a prescription anti-inflammatory. I also have a tens unit I am using as well as physical therapy and massage therapy. Because of the pain, I want to take a Norco so badly. But, I don't want to go back. It is hard because my head is clear and I want to go and do, but my body doesn't want to cooperate. Hopefully, this too shall pass.

Don't go back, hbendz, you can do this sciatica thing w/o the norco. If anything, opiates increase the pain over time because your body wants more of it. You really have some great alternatives figured out. Whatever you do don't let your head get to you. So glad you're at.......DAY 6, big hugs and HUGE congratulations. You're amazing. Hang Tough!

Peace,

Iloerose

Day 5!!!! Woo-hoo!!!! The only problem now is I have intense sciatica pain. My doctor gave me a couple of shots (anti-inflammatory &steroid) and a prescription anti-inflammatory. I also have a tens unit I am using as well as physical therapy and massage therapy. Because of the pain, I want to take a Norco so badly. But, I don't want to go back. It is hard because my head is clear and I want to go and do, but my body doesn't want to cooperate. Hopefully, this too shall pass.
    How are you doing? Hopefully you didn't go back to the norco.I for one have done it to many times.I will detox and then a few months later when the pain kicks in I run to the Doctor for more. This time I am really trying to stick it out and not go back for the norco. I have trouble sleeping because of back pain but I feel better mentally.
    I fully understand how you want to go do stuff but your body won't allow you to unless you deal with the pain afterwards. I tend to over do it often because I am hard headed and won't listen to my wife when she tells me not to do something that we both know will put me in pain. I think I will be like that until the day I leave this Earth.I don't like having others do stuff I was able to do 7 years ago and can't do now.
    If you haven't went back on,congrats for making it through and staying sober.Life will be much more enjoyable without the pills.I am about a month clean and enjoying it as much as I can.It's not always a sunny day,but I try to take the bad with the good and live with the pain. Like I said,sleep is rare most of the time,but I am dealing with it,hoping it's just temporary pain and will be gone soon.

I am thrilled to say I am off and not looking back! Interestingly enough, my pain level was worse on Norco! The pain spiked coming off the Norco, but now - thanks to an amazing physical therapist and massage therapist - I feel better than I have in over 3 years. I don't take a moment for granted.

Do you have a tens unit? If not, you should get one. When I do have pain, I use the tens unit with a heating pad then ice. Them I'm off to live life!

I feel so empowered by the journey coming off of Norco. If I can do that, I can do anything!

Stay strong! Don't give up! Do ake care of yourself and listen to your body. That certainly has become a must for us!

Take care,

Holly

Hey, Holly, big congratulations, and pats on the back (not too hard LOL). Proud of you, never turn your back or let down your guard. You've got this!

Peace,

Iloerose

Thank you! You helped so much during the process!!

Take care!

Holly

Infowarrior is offline Junior Member

Wow, I'm in tears reading this. You just gave me so much hope! I have been on vicodin for over 3 years now, the first 2 going doctor to doctor (not for scripts) trying to figure out why my shoulders hurt so bad and the last because I finally was diagnosed, had surgery and it was very unsuccessful. I am going to try to taper down, just got my script today, would like to get down to 10 mg a day and then CT. I have tried before but being needed so much in the house and not communicating with my family had me running back. I just couldn't do it. So much is expected of me I think I'm going to have to open up and ask for support. GOSH I am just so excited for you like over the moon happy that you have taken your life back. Congrats lady! You did it, you also just inspired me to do the same. I will have to come here often because you all understand, you don't judge and it seems as if you got the support you needed to do this. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Infowarrior View Post
    Wow, I'm in tears reading this. You just gave me so much hope! I have been on vicodin for over 3 years now, the first 2 going doctor to doctor (not for scripts) trying to figure out why my shoulders hurt so bad and the last because I finally was diagnosed, had surgery and it was very unsuccessful. I am going to try to taper down, just got my script today, would like to get down to 10 mg a day and then CT. I have tried before but being needed so much in the house and not communicating with my family had me running back. I just couldn't do it. So much is expected of me I think I'm going to have to open up and ask for support. GOSH I am just so excited for you like over the moon happy that you have taken your life back. Congrats lady! You did it, you also just inspired me to do the same. I will have to come here often because you all understand, you don't judge and it seems as if you got the support you needed to do this. Thank you.
    I can understand why you are having a hard time stopping. I went for nearly 7 years before they finally seen I had bulging disc and stenosis in my lower back. I wasn't as strong as I should of been and I slipped back into taking them again. I was off for a bit and the pain was not getting any better for me,just kept getting worse,started missing work you all know the rest and how it goes. I am kicking myself for going back on but I have no idea what else I can do.Been to PT several times,used a tens unit.The only thing I refused were the shots in my back. My specialist told me to really think about it and told me that they will only work for so long and at my age,it would be a bad idea to start them right now.
    There are a lot of great people here who will help you through and I suggest what was written above on what to get as far as food and drink so that when you are ready,you have everything you need.
    It's rough living with pain and not wanting to take pills. I can't count how many times I took myself off them because I was tired of the side effects and how mean of a person it makes me.
    Good Luck and post as much as you want,even a rant won't go unnoticed her.Lots of great people here.