Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ErynneGoBraugh
Thoughts on RLS and sensory blankets
    ErynneGoBraugh is offline New Member

Default Thoughts on RLS and sensory blankets

RLS, Restless Leg Syndrome.. is the absolute worst. Makes it impossible to sleep. It's annoying and can be a bit painful/achy.

I'm using some potassium/calcium/magnesium/zinc tabs and they seem to help. I also eat grapes and bananas right before bed.

I'm not willing to take any prescription meds for this and at sixty days clean, I don't have to deal with it very often any more.

My next thing to try is a sensory blanket. I bought one last summer for pain relief and it works great for arthritic pain. But the weight of the blanket made it tough to use because it was too hot. It's basically a comforter that is filled with sand and you buy one tailored to your body weight. With this cooler weather now.. I'm going to break out that blanket again and see if it is the relief for RLS that I think it might be.

I'll let you know what I find as these blankets can be a bit cost prohibitive.. but any relief that doesn't involve prescription meds has my vote.
    Autumnhopes likes this.

ErynneGoBraugh is offline New Member

Default Clarification.. because I'm a newb and don't know how to edit my dang post. heh.

Sensory blankets were initially developed to help autistic children by settling down the nerve endings that became too active... which is also part of what is going on with RLS. The weight of the blanket wraps your body with consistent pressure. It feels like a warm hug/cocoon.

Google it. They come in very different prices and styles. If you decide to get one.. buy a couple of duvets for it at the same time as there is no way to clean these things. They are wicked heavy when dry... I'd imagine they become concrete when wet. heh.

Autumnhopes is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ErynneGoBraugh View Post
    RLS, Restless Leg Syndrome.. is the absolute worst. Makes it impossible to sleep. It's annoying and can be a bit painful/achy.

I'm using some potassium/calcium/magnesium/zinc tabs and they seem to help. I also eat grapes and bananas right before bed.

I'm not willing to take any prescription meds for this and at sixty days clean, I don't have to deal with it very often any more.

My next thing to try is a sensory blanket. I bought one last summer for pain relief and it works great for arthritic pain. But the weight of the blanket made it tough to use because it was too hot. It's basically a comforter that is filled with sand and you buy one tailored to your body weight. With this cooler weather now.. I'm going to break out that blanket again and see if it is the relief for RLS that I think it might be.

I'll let you know what I find as these blankets can be a bit cost prohibitive.. but any relief that doesn't involve prescription meds has my vote.
    Wow thanks Erynne! That's sounds like something I'd love & would be so soothing to my RLS... (which is miserable) thanks for the thoughts and recommendation I'm definitely gonna look into it