Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By numbOne
WD's from OXYCOTIN
    gunnawin is offline Junior Member

Default WD's from OXYCOTIN

Hello again!! I hate that I am back to this site for help. At the same time I'm grateful that this site is here. Unfortunately I have relapsed. I thought getting high for one day wouldnt be no big deal. Boy, I was wrong!! It lead to a big mess! I've been taking 80mg of oxycotin a day, 20mg 4 times a day. I'm ready to quit. The habit is very, very costly. Last time i went on the suboxone treatment. All I can say about that is I never want to do that again. I had to jump off the suboxone at 1mg. It was very painful and it lasted for at least a month and a half, not exagerating at all!!!! So basically I am asking should I ween off the oxycotin? Or would it be better just to quit cold turkey? If so, how long will wd's last? I'm dreading the wd's because of my past experience with the sub treatment. Thanks so much!! Have a wonderful day everyone!!

numbOne is offline Member

I have also had some prolonged w/d's. It's not always the same every go-round. If you've had a month long no good experience, that would clearly plant a negative seed in your head and keep you from facing what you have to face - all im saying is it probably won't be that bad. Really depends on how long you have been using, how much, but other factors as well.

It takes some really gutsy will power to just start weening down - temptations lurk around every corner and your mind will play tricks! If you have some sub or can get to it - jumping at .20/.25 of a MG will be much easier or look up the Thomas recipe and get as much ingredients as you can, after about the 5th day you should slowly start feeling a little better - some things, like a good nights sleep, take a little longer.

Good luck...No, Win!
    gunnawin and shawn156 like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hi Gunna,

You can always try to taper but in my opinion takes more guts than a plain 'ole cold turkey. I never had the will power to taper...gobble, gobble. So, you have sub experience. I have no sub experience but based upon what I've learned here, 1 mg is huge dose to jump from and that's probably why you had such a bad experience. I'm not encouraging you to go back to the subs, nor am I encouraging you not to use them again. Quite the contrary. If it is an option, then it deserves consideration but only you know what has the greatest chance of working for you.

Step 1 (not of the 12 steps ) is find determination for only the right reason--You want to be clean. Step 2 is to decide how you're going to do that. I'm biased, but I believe in my heart and soul that cold turkey is the best way to go. I'm not afraid of discomfort (I don't like it, but I'm not afraid of it) but because it is pretty awful, it may not be the best choice for everyone. I would weigh the differences in the length of time you'll be in withdrawal and how long it will take you to get clean. Cold turkey is a really bad case of the flu for 5 days and you're done. Tapering, at least for me, was impossible. It means dealing with withdrawal symptoms--to a lesser degree but symptoms nonetheless. To do it the right way, it means a drop in doseage, level out and begin to feel better just in time to drop your dose again. And you do this over and over again. I'm sure you know the drill. If you choose cold turkey, by the time you finish a taper, you will have weeks of clean time behind you and that much further into recovery resulting in sleep improving and getting past all the mental junk we have to deal with early on in recovery. I'm just spelling it out here, weighing your options in a way that you can consider them and then it's up to you to choose. Just know that it's more than entirely possible to do a successful cold turkey from the amount you are taking. If cold turkey from the amount you are taking now frightens you enough that you don't want to try it, how about doing a mini-taper to get your dose reduced and then just jump. Decide what you want that dose to be in advance and don't change your mind. When you get there, well Welcome Day 1. Honestly, though, I have did cold turkey from 180 oxy/day and I've done it from 50 perocets. I didn't see much difference in how long it took to detox nor did I think there was much, if any difference in the severity of my symptoms. And that's the truth. I suppose if my dose was even lower than that, say 15 or 20 mg/day maybe it would have made a difference but I don't know and hopefully I'll never have to know..

Peace,

Cat

numbOne is offline Member

Hey Winner,

Just wanted to point out that was a very well thought out replay that Catrina gave you - It's really nice for someone to lay out options right there for you and explain the pro and cons of each. Although if you c/t it is not set in stone that day 5 most symptoms will be lifted, it's encouraging to know that some/many? experience that...and i can certainly relate to the advantage that route gives in so that iff all goes well, well someone else may still be working a taper weeks down the road - you could have all that sober time under your belt. Just consider your options and choose the best method for you

livingdoll is offline New Member

Hey win! Hope you are doing well! I too have tried suboxone and always had this little feeling that I really wasn't clean, since it is technically just replacing one addiction for another. I was stuck on it for 2 years, finally had to quit cold turkey and still had to deal with withdrawal symptoms so it seemed like really all it did was delay withdrawal symptoms!! Anyways cold turkey is tough stuff but if you have the ability to ride the withdrawal out at home until the worst first few days are over that may work for ya. I don't really have that option. I am battling a percocet addiction. I have been addicted to opiates for the better part of 11 years. This is my 3rd real attempt at getting clean. I have been tapering and am down to comfortably taking 1/2- 1 pill of a 10mg perc a day. Tomorrow I am stopping completely, I hope this is it. I tried cold turkey last time and before that was the suboxone experience. Cold turkey for me was hard, and I eventually relapsed because mainly I couldn't be sick in bed and have no energy with 2 kids for more then like a weekend and my symptoms last time were still really bad on day 3 so I caved in and sunk back into my hole of addiction. Hope I gave a little bit of help to u and best of luck!

Izzn is offline Member

Hey, gunnawin. I have only gone through the "W/D from hell" one time (opana, vic, opana, perc, and more opana) so I cant advise you. I went CT, took about 7 weeks for the RLS and muscle pains to stop and to be able to sleep. But I want to congratulate you on being back HERE, asking for support from the folks that know where you have been and what you are feeling. Don't give up, it's clear from your words you want this monkey off your back. You can do it. I swear you can, lots of good people here will be cheering you on.

shawn156 is offline Member

Back in 2008 I was on oxycodone and when I went c/t,it was hard.I wasn't forced into it,I chose to do it. For 1 weeks I didn't sleep much.A few hours here and there and that was about it. I used imodium a few times as well.I didn't have much of the mental problems or cravings. The last day of my c/t,I think it was right on day 5,I finally passed out and woke up 18 hours later and felt fine,like I never took the Oxy. I have never went back to it since that day and never will.Oxy is hard to jump off of and I was only at a 5mg dose.
    If you can wean yourself down to a smaller dose and jump,it might ease the w/ds and cut the time you have them. One thing I did find out with the norco c/ts I have done is drinking a large amount of Gatorade helps push the out of you faster. Not sure why but the last few c/ts I had,I done this and it seemed to help a little bit and cut the time of w/d down for me.
    I wish you luck in getting off such a horrible pill. I feel they should never of let people who don't have a terminal disease have Oxycodone. It's just one nasty pill.