Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By seagrub
  • 2 Post By Catrina
What can I take for Headaches after detoxing from codeine?
    seagrub is offline New Member

Default What can I take for Headaches after detoxing from codeine?

About a month ago I detoxed from a 4 year codeine addiction. Was taking about 600mg per day. The withdrawals where horrible but I got through them and never want to go through them again. I used to take the pills for severe tension headaches and migraines. Surprisingly I have not had a bad headache since detoxing. This maybe due to me going to see a chiropractor, an acupuncturist and getting a couple of massages these past few weeks.

I however know that I will eventually get a pretty bad headache/migraine (it feels like I may be getting the beginnings of one now). My question is does anyone know any solutions/remedies that I can take to help alleviate a headache and stop the pain with something that is not addictive. Paracetamol does not work, neither does nurofen. Also any natural remedies would also be great.

Thankyou.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by seagrub View Post
    About a month ago I detoxed from a 4 year codeine addiction. Was taking about 600mg per day. The withdrawals where horrible but I got through them and never want to go through them again. I used to take the pills for severe tension headaches and migraines. Surprisingly I have not had a bad headache since detoxing. This maybe due to me going to see a chiropractor, an acupuncturist and getting a couple of massages these past few weeks.

I however know that I will eventually get a pretty bad headache/migraine (it feels like I may be getting the beginnings of one now). My question is does anyone know any solutions/remedies that I can take to help alleviate a headache and stop the pain with something that is not addictive. Paracetamol does not work, neither does nurofen. Also any natural remedies would also be great.

Thankyou.
    I used to have those headaches too. Surprisingly, narcotics make them worse causing rebound pain. In fact, narcotics are probably the least effective way to treat a headache. I take 2 Motrin and 2 Excedrin at the same time. Just be careful not to exceed the daily max. For migraines, there are other more effective prescription things to take. Ask your doctor about them. I would get cluster migraines for days at at time when I was taking narcotics and I think I've had 2 over the past 6 1/2 years since I got clean. Find other things. They work better.

Peace,

Cat
    Iluv2smile and Toby3610 like this.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by seagrub View Post
    . Surprisingly I have not had a bad headache since detoxing. This maybe due to me going to see a chiropractor, an acupuncturist and getting a couple of massages these past few weeks.
    ^
    This is number 3 on my list of top 3 things to do for headaches. 1. Sip water all day. You might be chronically dehydrated. 2. Get checked for sleep apnea, especially if you suffer from bruxism (clenching and grinding teeth at night). Suspect this if your headache is worse in the morning and gets better during the day. And number 3 is get chiropractic adjustments and therapeutic massages. Muscle tension and locked facets are endemic with all our device using these days. I'd guess 90% of chronic headaches will be in these three categories. The other ten percent will be everything else.