Anyone know of a program that can help me?
    zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Default Anyone know of a program that can help me?

Many of the assistance programs I have checked out are only for people with no insurance. My problem is I have PA state Access Medical, however they have a whole list of meds now that they will not cover except under extreme circumstances, for which your doc has to get prior approval. I am disabled with a condition that causes chronic pain, and when I went to the pharmacy yesterday I couldn't get my Oxycontin.

They said that the rate of patients getting approval for these meds, is very low, less than 1 in a hundred people.

I have trouble taking some meds, they make me sick, this was one that actually worked for me, with no bad side effects. To get one months prescription costs over $150, and we can't afford that each month, my DH is a full time student on SSD, and I am still fighting for SSI.

Any ideas? Yes, I already checked out needymeds.com and they only list programs for those with NO insurance at all.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-08-2013 at 12:33 AM.

BigJohn is offline Member

Hey there...I'm also in Pa and the access card medical sux...i Know. Anyway...you know there is a generic now for OxyContin. Before workmens' comp started picking up the tab i had to buy all my meds myself. Anyway..I used to go to Costco It's one of those discount clubs. Find a discount club in your area...you don't have to be a member..they don't tell you outright but in PA it's against the law to make someone join a club to use the pharmacy. I don't know how much it will cost you, depending on strength and amount, but Costco charged me 130 for namebrand Oxy (this was before the generic came out) when CVS and those thieves wanted to charge 280. Generic is always cheaper...much cheaper...and those discount clubs are cheaper still. Not every club has a pharmacy but some do...maybe you can "get by" until you figure something out. wish I had more of an answer for you. Good luck

Peace and all that,

John

leana is offline Member

thats just horrible what pa medicaid is doing to people, and i hear its supposed to get worse.i too am a victim, i been taking ambien for months for imsomnia, its the only thing that works for me, but in december, they put it in THEIR DONT LIST. ive been suffering, the doctor tried restoril, and alprazolam without no luck. the pharmacist said you have to try one or two other things first, then they will let you get it , but my doctor says no, they just wont cover it.ambien are 3dollars a piece, and no generic. im also on percocet{generic} for chronic back pain, im concerned about taking tylenol day after day, im shocked to hear oxycontin is no longer covered, what about generic oxycontin? my one friend heard medicaid plan on cutting out all pain meds eventually.thats not right, most of us who have to take pain meds are disabled, with a fixed income, how can we buy or go without our meds??if anyone reading this has any advice, please let me know.i even seen a pamplet at the pharmacy the other day stating alot of little pharmacies will no longer be accepting medicaid, because of loosing money, and will be forced to turn away the ones who need help the most.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

John, I was on the generic, and they still won't cover it, and to buy it is $156.50, or $2.61 a pill and I have no warehouse clubs within several hours of me.

leana, I have not seen those pamphlets, and I am not sure if that is true, or just a scare tactic, as the larger pharmacies like Eckerd and RiteAid aren't making any changes regarding accepting Medicaid. I can imagine that might happen with some of the smaller, locally owned pharmacies, but the changes will not drastically affect the larger chains.

Supposedly if you have been taking the same drug, same dosage for 90 days before the changes went into effect, then you could continue to get your drugs. I am still able to get my Cymbalta because of this, but we had just changed the dose of my Oxycontin. So if you were taking the Ambien for longer than 3 months, you should complain, and file an appeal because they should have covered it.

Actually, these changes are much better than what they were going to do, they were going to cut everyone down to only 3 prescriptions a month, but instead of doing that, they did this.

It all actually has to do with rebates. The drug companies that have worked out rebates with the state medical plan all have their drugs approved. Those who don't provide rebates are on the non-approved list.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-08-2013 at 12:36 AM.

Aurarisma is offline New Member

Default try Humana prescription program

Hi there,

I have been told by my pharmacist that Oxycontin generic is probably going to go off market relatively soon because .. the makers of the original Pharma Purdue.. won their case ... so the original willl be easier to get ..there is only one generic left and it will be off market next month at latest.

U might want to try since you are on Medicaid .. GHI HMO .. select a specific Medicaid program.... Medicaid does approve Oxycontin so I dont understand why you are having problems getting it..

Blessings, xo
    Aurarisma

Aurarisma is offline New Member

Default are u on disability?

if you are on disability .. Try Humana Prescription Plan... u can get all meds on it

gl Blessings,
    Aurarisma xo