Bad Breath from Adderrall XR
    herbieglass is offline New Member

Default Bad Breath from Adderrall XR

Unfortunately, I was recently told that my breath is horrible and has probably been bad since I started taking Adderrall-XR 20mg morning, and 30mg at 3:00pm.

Does anyone have knowledge if the Adderral is the cause?

Thanks!

krissak is offline New Member

I just saw your question and i beleive the main cause of bad breath is dehydration, so mabye when taking adderall you may need to drink more water. I was wondering how you got a prescription for adderall, i need to go through testing for it but it is way to expensive so if you could e-mail me back that would be great.
    thanx
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-10-2018 at 11:25 PM.

OxyAngie is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by herbieglass

Unfortunately, I was recently told that my breath is horrible and has probably been bad since I started taking Adderrall-XR 20mg morning, and 30mg at 3:00pm.

Does anyone have knowledge if the Adderral is the cause?

Thanks!
    Hi! My daughter and I both take Adderall and yes, I believe that dehydration is a factor. I would like to offer a suggestion for anyone that experience's "bad breath".

I am a Dental Hygienist and I recommend a fresh breath program (called Oxyfresh) to my patients. It actually ELIMINATES bad breath- GAURANTEED! Bad breath caused by anything-garlic, onions, medicines, etc.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-10-2018 at 11:25 PM.

renviss is offline New Member

I've heard that Adderall causes a "bad taste" in the mouth, which was true in my case when I took it, so that would probably explain the "bad breath."

renviss is offline New Member

Krissak...

To answer your question, Adderall is a controlled substance (because it is classified as an "amphetamine"), so a prescription (a triplicate, as it is known) is often required from your physician. And because it's in the amphetamine class, the prescription is only valid for about 14 days, and then you'll need a new one if you haven't used it.

Testing is expensive. I've been in the health insurance industry for over 17 years, and I've counseled people on how to make their insurance (or in some cases, lack of insurance) work for them. One way is to look at this catagory...."Patient Assistance Programs". There is one that used to be called "www.Helpingpatients.org", and if you plug that into your browser, it will take you to its new website. That site lists patient assistance programs for practically every drug manufancturer, including Adderall's. However, there are certain financial requirements that apply, and the medications are dispensed through your doctor. They won't just mail them to you.

I tell people to pay out of pocket for the testing, eventhough it's expensive. (Look at it as an investment, not a luxury.) Most doctors (psychiatrists, usually) who specialize in ADD want to help, so they may be willing to set up an installment plan. Once you get the diagnosis, go back to your primary physician (one that believes in ADD/ADHD) and have him/her prescribe and follow up. If the doctor has questions about your care, he/she can discuss your case with the psychiatrist. If that doesn't work, arrange with the psychiatrist to follow up in 3 months, instead of monthly, as is usually the case when the medication is first prescribed. More and more health plans are covering treatment of ADD/ADHD, including the medications, but usually not the testing. I made the investment myself, and I'm glad I did, although I'm currently taking a different ADD medication.

Don't ever take somebody else's Adderall though, especially since there there are a couple of different kinds of it, and some generic versions, too. You may do more harm than good.

Good luck....

renviss

Hutch1ns is offline New Member

Adderall causes dry mouth. When you get dry mouth, usually your breath will be bad. My suggestion is to chew minty gum when you're around people. I did that all through high school, as I too got that side effect.