Cervical Spinal Fusion(Arthrodesis)
    BigJohn is offline Member

Default Cervical Spinal Fusion(Arthrodesis)

Has anyone gone through the procedure titled above? I was told it was the only option for my severe radiculopothy. I have had this condition for quite awhile now, over a year, because of the lawyers battling it out while I just sat and suffered. Anyway...I am managing my pain with Lyrica because I refuse to take OxyContin anymore. My questions concern post-op pain, recovery time, success. All those things. Anyone's words of experience would be appreciated.

Peace and all that,

John

medic4092 is offline New Member

my brother-in-law had a similar type of operation but his was after an auto accident but they did pretty much the same thing his recovery time was not too long but i dont remember exactly how long. another friend was also in an auto accident and 3/4 of his spine was destroyed and he has what i call an artificial spine. unfotunatly he is still having problems ( not serious i.e. mobility is limited sitting/standing too long causes too much pain/uncomfterble) though i done know what medical history he has/had but no more surgeries.if you have some specific concernes e-mail me and i will try to help. HAPPY HOLYDAYS!

BigJohn is offline Member

My injury was from a fall. I have a herniated C5-C6 disk and it SUX!!! I have been dealing with this for a year but anyway...I've talked to the surgeon and my main concern is anterior or posterior. I don't want a big scar on my throat but posterior is a lot riskier because of the bleeding and the have to remove a "plate"(i forget what it's called at the moment) which sux if it's unneccesary. was just wondering...doesn't really matter at this point...I'll deal with scar to get rid of the pain...it's brought me close to suicide a couple times...not to worry though...I'm still here. Thanks for your reply.

Peace and all that,

John

theg2002 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by BigJohn

Has anyone gone through the procedure titled above? I was told it was the only option for my severe radiculopothy. I have had this condition for quite awhile now, over a year, because of the lawyers battling it out while I just sat and suffered. Anyway...I am managing my pain with Lyrica because I refuse to take OxyContin anymore. My questions concern post-op pain, recovery time, success. All those things. Anyone's words of experience would be appreciated.

Peace and all that,

John
    Thomas Heglund

theg2002 is offline New Member

I had two cervical fusion from c4-c7 The first was in 02 the second was in 04 two years apart but in the same month. The time it took to heal was short about 12 weeks i think and was'nt real painful. But i had another herniation in 04. And i'm still having alot of pain it's hard to sit or stand for any long periods of time. The first one was c5-c6 and no there is'nt going to be a big scar they cut in one of the creases of your neck and it is hard to notice it but if you have a fusion like mine (meaning the second) they went throught the front and back because i already had a fusion. And they wanted to do it this way just incase i had to have another it will make it easier to get to. I hope this info. helps. Also you will have to wear a neck brace for the 12 weeks. Which really sucks big time.

Thomas Heglund

I had a combination cervical and lumbar fusion surgery in 2001 as treatment for the condition known as scoliosis, or acute curvature of the spine, from left to right. My spine was so badly twisted that it was shaped like an S. I was twelve years old and I took morphine and oxycodone for my pain while in the hospital, and when I returned home after a week I was using oxycodone and codeine for pain. I did not become dependent or addicted on my pain medication, but now they won't prescribe me anything besides Motrin for my pain, which lingers still. I have trouble laying on my sides or stomach, and sitting upright for more than an hour at a time.

What the procedure consisted of was melting of donor hip bone which was applied to a section of my spine, about nine vertebrae. Two ten-inch stainless steel rods were then screwed into either side of my spine. I have a very noticeable scar which runs from the top of my buttocks to the base of my neck. I live in chronic pain because of this, but it has increased in intensity and frequency since about two years ago, when I was recovering quite exceptionally. I suppose it varies from person to person, as all bodies are unique.

Jesus Christ will help you through. -Betsy