Glucophage for diabetes
    kns1257 is offline New Member

Default Glucophage for diabetes

I need to know if this could be a side effect? I researched the drug Glucophage to see, but nothing is mentioned. My nephew-18 yrs old- has been taking this drug for 10 months now. He had a full head of hair, and now he has a large bald spot on the top, and you can see his scalp easily through his hair. It came out of no-where. Can hairloss be a side-effect from Glucophage? Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

kns

redhedgranny is offline New Member

Good question. I can't say for sure but I am also on gulcohage and my hair got so thin I am now wearing wigs. My scalp glistened, in a photo, through my hair so that my picture looked as if I were bald, I'm a female 72 so it could be the diabetes. age etc.

Myki is offline Junior Member

You know I had been losing hair but never associated it with the glucophage..now I am wondering.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

My husband takes the generic of this for diabetes, he has been on it for about 5 years now and hasn't had any hairloss problems.

It would be interesting if someone could find some info. on this.

Chronic Pain sufferer from severe spinal scoliosis with herniated discs and pinched nerves.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

I did some googling on this and found some concerns with answers:

Thinning hair in female [posted 1/6/99]
    Question: I developed adult onset diabetes 2 years ago and am on the maximum dose of Glucophage. My scalp hair, especially on top, has been thinning quite a bit. Can you tell me if this medication could cause this or if it is from the diabetes? Also, does estrogen therapy help to decrease hair loss?

Answer: Listed, but not a common problem. I'd look for other causes.

HAIR LOSS. Metformin may contribute to male pattern hair loss at the temples and top of head. Although there's nothing in the medical literature to support this linkage, some women have reported that hair loss was made worse by metformin.(24)

http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/gl...rmin-pcos.html

Chronic Pain sufferer from severe spinal scoliosis with herniated discs and pinched nerves.