Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
help with methadone detox

Make sure to eat,Princess.Subuxone is a wonder drug,but retards the desire to eat!So be sure to snack frequently.Eating actually increases the medicine's effectiveness. Good luck,sweetie.

mella is offline New Member

Hi everyone , let me start by saying i glad you are all trying to get yourselves and loved ones help and give support . I am a mom of 3 boys the oldest has been a drug user since age 14 he is now detoxing from methadone rapidly from the local clinic , He has a lot of anger issues and the detoxing is making him a hard person to deal with seems his girlfriend and i are the enemy i found this site searching for some answers to getting him more help even though he hates me right now I'm glad i found this because i hoping this will help me since i am now in counseling trying to come to terms with liefs issues in general i have never done anything like this before so please bare with me for i am new to all of this. I'm hoping this will help me let go of how angry i am a my son whom continues to blame me for all of his inner demons and getting him hooked sometimes i do feel like i was responsible . I don't want to go on and on just looking to maybe help get support and maybe give some support back. Thanks A MOM WHO TRULY CARES AND IS HURTING

mpvt is offline Advanced Member

First off, why is he rapidly detoxing off methadone?????You think he's bad now,just wait.Coming off methadone is not the same as coming off morphine of >>>>>>.It takes a long time to get the patient down on their dose.You never drop more than 10% a month on methadone.People that try and detox rapidly generally suffer from withdrawls for at least 3 months (PAWS,Post Acute Withdrawl Syndrome) and this is pure hell on earth.

Is he trying to lower his dose to switch to suboxone or is he trying to come off the methadone all together???
    How long and at what dose was he at on the methadone????
    What is his drug abuse history???
    As much info as possible would help in allowing us to know what he and you are going through and what to expect.....Dave

want2quit!!! is offline New Member

hi, im not a doctor, but, i know what your son is going through, and honestly, i think the best advise for him, would be to get him into a medical detox facility. i've been myself, not for methadone, but just as bad, but, i've seen a lot of people like him, and, with the medications they have to detox him, and, some are, most are not, opiates. i dont know where you live, but if your from the Mass, boston area, i can give you the names of some REALLY good places. if not, just look online for treatment facilties that might work for him. good luck!! to both of you. and just to say, i think you helpling him out is really nice. he's lucky to have a good support system like you!

Default Oral magnesium can reduce opiate use in methadone patients

This 2003 Yale School of Medicine study revealed oral magnesium megadoses increased pain relief and reduced opiate use, in methadone patients. Magnesium appears to be reducing overfiring of NMDA glutamate receptors, which are involved in pain memory. Magnesium can also relax muscle spasms. Prolonged constipation produced by opiate use may also be reduced with magnesium supplementation.

The clinic seldom finds adequate serum magnesium levels, during patient pre-testing.

J Addict Dis. 2003;22(2):49-61.
    A preliminary, controlled investigation of magnesium L-aspartate hydrochloride for illicit cocaine and opiate use in methadone-maintained patients.
    Margolin A, Kantak K, Copenhaver M, Avants SK.
    Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Substance Abuse Center, New Haven, CT 06519, USA.

Based on pre-clinical studies suggesting that magnesium (Mg) reduces cocaine self-administration and potentiates the antinociceptive effects of morphine, we conducted a preliminary randomized clinical trial investigating Mg for the treatment of illicit cocaine and opiate use. Eighteen methadone-maintained patients who used illicit opiates and cocaine received either Mg (732 mg/day) or placebo for 12 weeks. Overall, findings showed that the percentage of urine screens testing positive for opiates in the Mg group (22.6%) was half that of the placebo group (46.4%), p = .04; the difference was even greater in the "medication compliant" sample (Mg: 16.3%, placebo: 47.9%), p = .02. Cocaine craving was lower in the Mg compared to the placebo group, but there was no difference between groups in cocaine use. These preliminary findings suggest that Mg may have a beneficial effect for reducing illicit opiate use. It is possible that a higher dose of Mg than was used in this study may be needed to decrease cocaine use.

EMPHASIS ADDED
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-08-2009 at 06:29 PM.

This 2005 study indicates methadone maintainence patients exhibited decreased mental performance, compared to abstinent opiate abusers, who were matched for age, education, pre addiction IQ, employment status and lifetime drug abuse. Many methadone users call the reduced alertness, performance and sleepiness "being on the nod."

The good news is that opiate users with similar opiate use history had improved mental performance,when opiate use ended, and mental performance does eventually improve, when opiate use ceases

Verdejo A; Toribio I; Orozco C; Puente KL; PŽrez-Garc’a M. Neuropsychological functioning in methadone maintenance patients versus abstinent >>>>>> abusers. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 78(3): 283-288, 2005. (20 refs.)

Several studies have reported on neuropsychological status as an important contributing variable in drug abuse rehabilitation outcomes. However, few studies have dealt with cognitive impairment in methadone maintenance patients (MMP), despite the fact that methadone is the most frequently used opioid substitution treatment in European countries. The objective of the present study is to contrast the neuropsychological performance of MMP with that of abstinent >>>>>> abusers (AHA).

Participants were matched with respect to age, education, pre-morbid IQ, employment status and lifetime drug abuse, and they underwent a set of tests aimed at assessing visuo-spatial attention, processing speed and executive functions. Although processing speed and attention deficits have previously been the focus of studies with MMP, executive functions have not received a similar degree of attention. The purpose of comparing matched MMP and AHA is two-fold: firstly, to test the differential effects of current opioid consumption and past opioid abuse on cognitive-executive performance and secondly, to assess the potential consequences of opioid-related neuropsychological deficits. Results showed a significantly slower performance by MMP on processing speed, visuo-spatial attention, and cognitive flexibility tests (Five Digit Test (FDT) parts 1 and 3; Oral Trails (OT) parts 1, 2; Interference 2-1), and less accuracy in working memory and analogical reasoning tests extracted from the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS III). Effect sizes for significant comparisons ranged from 0.67 to 1. These results seem to suggest that methadone consumption by itself induces significant cognitive impairments that could compromise drug-treatment outcomes in MMP.
    EMPHASIS ADDED
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-08-2009 at 06:03 PM.

mpvt is offline Advanced Member

The problem with methadone is it's overprescribed and by that I mean there are way to many people on that shouldn't be.
    Methadone should only be used (I'm talking about addiction and not pain patients) as a last resort and for addicts with extremely high tolerances.To many hydrocodone addicts are taking methadone and all they do is nod all day.I have been on methadone for almost 6 years with the first 4 years at 400mgs a day and I never nodded.I work and have worked since I was stabilized.
    I'm now down to 190mgs a day and doing justas well when I was at 400mgs but my brain chemistry changed due to the fact I wasn't abusing short act and even long acting opiates.
    Buprenorphene is the drug everyone should try first if they feel they want to go the Opiate Replacement Therapy way......Dave

mel27 is offline New Member

Hi I read your post and was hoping you might be able to help me. I`ve suffered with both cocaine and >>>>>> addiction for a long time but have been clean off cocaine since I had my baby girl 8 mos ago. I have also been off >>>>>> for 3 years but have been on methandone the entire time. I`ve been coming down a bit every month and am now down to 65 mls. however this isn`t my first time trying to detox off methadone and i know that when my dose gets much lower I won`t be able to deal with the physical withdrawls (I`ve seriously considered killing myself rather then feel that horrible undescribable agony in the past I`m sure you know what I mean) without some kind of help. it seems like you`ve been succesful and I`ve just learned of the buprenorphen and this other drug they`re mentioning Suboxone. Problem is I`m living in Canada and I don`t know how to go about finding a program like you did to aid me through the withdrawls with the buprenorphen which I`m leaning towards after reading your success with it. I don`t even know if it`s legal yet in Canada. If you have any advice it would be great. I talked to the doctor once before about it and he of course sluffed it off cause he`d rather keep me on methadone and keep making $! I`ve come so far after 13 years of abuse and just want to be free of everything and the intelligent, outgoing person I once was who can be a great mother to her child without first having to go get her meth from the pharmacy and face the shame of my family and the public. I want this soo bad but can`t stand the thought of failing and relapsing as that is not an option. I really feel that I have the coping methods and the inspiration and can do this if I can get some help. Please write back I need help with the withdrawls if I`m finally going to be free of methadone and all drugs forever. Thank you. Hope to hear from you. Just registered so i could write you for info and assume I just check back here over the next few days to see if you`ve written back. Also wondering how long they put you on the buprenorphen for and if coming off that is just as bad or what?

mel27 is offline New Member

Not sure how all this works but above post qt. is for Bahrak this post qt is for MPTV

Quote Originally Posted by mpvt View Post
    go to google and put in "we speak methadone".It's a great forum for people like us on methadone.They can tell you how to get in touch with a buprenorphene doctor.This buprenorphene looks like it's going to be a great help for people detoxing off of methadone.Methadone is a great drug to get yourself striaghtened out on but it's a nice lady to quit.I'm really hoping that buprenorphene will help alot of people....Dave

Always consult a MD first
    MPTV tried google but can`t find any help for me here in Canada. Pls write back.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-15-2008 at 04:19 AM.

Cats Meow is offline Platinum Member

Default Mel

Mpvt is still on methadone, not Bup. (Buprenorphen is the generic name for Suboxone and Subutex). You could go on Sub to get off meth, but you would still need to be in w/d, and to get off sub you would still have w/d's, it seems to make more sense to me to taper down slowly off the meth then quit. I know how hard it is, and the w/d's suck bad, it's the hardest drug there is to quit, but there's really no easy, painless way to do it.

To answer your other Q, the w/d's coming off of Sub, it's safe to say would be less severe, then they would from methadone alone, how long you would need to be on it, is hard to predict, probably several months since meth takes a really long time to leave your receptors and for them to reset.

Because of your extensive drug history, you would really benefit from an in-house detox treatment, I really think it's your best chance for success. You can go cold turkey, but you don't sound tough enough.
    I'll let you reply before I say anymore, consider starting your own thread in the Need To Talk Forum, we'll work with you and try and help you figure out a strategy. There's always hope, so don't lose faith.

Bad Boy CF is offline New Member

My son is 26 and he is in his 3rd day coming off 10 mg methadone which he was taking every other day. He has been tapering for about two months from about 40 mg and really wants to stop once and for all. He has had previous psych therapy and has been going to NA meetings and has a good support system in place. He seems to be doing OK physically with mostly minor achiness, but I think the worst part is not being able to sleep for him. He has some clonazapam 1mg tabs which he is using to help for now only at night. He has about 15 pills and is only taking one or two. How long should he expect the detox to last and is there anything else that can be of help at this point? He would like to go back to work on Monday which is day 5.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Boy CF View Post
    My son is 26 and he is in his 3rd day coming off 10 mg methadone which he was taking every other day. He has been tapering for about two months from about 40 mg and really wants to stop once and for all. He has had previous psych therapy and has been going to NA meetings and has a good support system in place. He seems to be doing OK physically with mostly minor achiness, but I think the worst part is not being able to sleep for him. He has some clonazapam 1mg tabs which he is using to help for now only at night. He has about 15 pills and is only taking one or two. How long should he expect the detox to last and is there anything else that can be of help at this point? He would like to go back to work on Monday which is day 5.

Methadone is a difficult detox. I know it would easier for him to continue the taper down to 0mg. He can do the cold turkey, it's just tough. Also taking clonazepam with methadone can cause an interaction resulting in respiratory depression. Some people do okay with both meds but some don't. The mixture of the two medications scares me. I have a son that age too and I wouldn't want him taking methadone and clonazepam together. The actual methadone detox itself can take a while depending on how long he was actually on methadone. It will likely last quite a bit longer than through the weekend. God bless.

Bad Boy CF is offline New Member

As it turned out, my son was feeling much better by day 6. He was able to get off work until today (day 10) due to the holiday. He worked for 10 hours today and is doing well. He is taking Benadryl now for sleep and he may try melatonin as well. Sleep seems to be somewhat elusive at this point... He still has cravings and probably will for some time but the first stage of detox seems to be over. He and I have been attending NA meetings as well for support.

As it turned out, my son was feeling much better by day 6. He was able to get off work until today (day 10) due to the holiday. He worked for 10 hours today and is doing well. He is taking Benadryl now for sleep and he may try melatonin as well. Sleep seems to be somewhat elusive at this point... He still has cravings and probably will for some time but the first stage of detox seems to be over. He and I have been attending NA meetings as well for support.
    definietly try the melatonin its great really at least for me it was. benadryl made my restless legs worse. your son is doing great going to NA regularly and seems to have great support best of luck to you both

Bad Boy CF .. I have also heard that same thing about the benadryl with the restlessness. Of course we are all a little different. Sleep is the last thing to return to normal for most all of us in detox from opiates. Your son is fortunate to have your support. Oddly enough lots of parents bail when it gets down to all this. You have my respect. God bless.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-29-2008 at 12:00 AM.

one more thing about melatonion take it 10-15min before lights out I mean complete darkness it will not work very well if you dont shut off everything and try to sleep

Gdone is offline New Member

Default New to Methadone!

Quote Originally Posted by mpvt View Post
    First off, why is he rapidly detoxing off methadone?????You think he's bad now,just wait.Coming off methadone is not the same as coming off morphine of >>>>>>.It takes a long time to get the patient down on their dose.You never drop more than 10% a month on methadone.People that try and detox rapidly generally suffer from withdrawls for at least 3 months (PAWS,Post Acute Withdrawl Syndrome) and this is pure hell on earth.

Is he trying to lower his dose to switch to suboxone or is he trying to come off the methadone all together???
    How long and at what dose was he at on the methadone????
    What is his drug abuse history???
    As much info as possible would help in allowing us to know what he and you are going through and what to expect.....Dave
    Greetings,
    I have been on Methadone for almost two weeks 50mg daily to treat my percocet addiction of 10-12 pills a day (10mg) for the past 9 years. I found out and discovered that the Methadone is ALOT stronger than the percocets ever were. Since I have only been on the Methadone for less than two weeks does anyone think I could taper back pretty fast without as many withdrawal symptoms compared to if I was on Methadone for more than a month or two? I really don't like the Methadone and would prefer to try the Suboxone?

Quote Originally Posted by Gdone View Post
    Greetings,
    I have been on Methadone for almost two weeks 50mg daily to treat my percocet addiction of 10-12 pills a day (10mg) for the past 9 years. I found out and discovered that the Methadone is ALOT stronger than the percocets ever were. Since I have only been on the Methadone for less than two weeks does anyone think I could taper back pretty fast without as many withdrawal symptoms compared to if I was on Methadone for more than a month or two? I really don't like the Methadone and would prefer to try the Suboxone?

I can't believe it when drs put people on methadone who've been taking 10-12 percs a day. Talk about an overkill! And I'm quite sure Dave will agree totally. Thankfully it's only been a couple weeks.

You still need to get the methadone dose down to 30mg or less before switching to suboxone if that is what you want to do. I would suggest though that you ask yourself ONE important question. Would you rather be on subs for a couple months without a bunch of w/d symptoms, but having to spend quite a bit of money on therapy depending on your health insurance situation or would you rather tough out a cold turkey for a couple weeks and be done with it.

Should you go with the cold turkey method you can lessen your w/d symptoms by using what is known as the Thomas Recipe. It has proven to be very successful by lots of people here doing cold turkey detoxes. Check out the following link ....

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

I'm not trying to convince you of what to do one way or the other. If you decide to go with suboxone/subutex check out the following link. Then let us know what you decide is best for you. Remember that if you choose the suboxone route you will have to be in moderately severe w/d MINIMUM before induction. God bless.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

Default Yeah, it sux!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I can't believe it when drs put people on methadone who've been taking 10-12 percs a day. Talk about an overkill! And I'm quite sure Dave will agree totally. Thankfully it's only been a couple weeks.

You still need to get the methadone dose down to 30mg or less before switching to suboxone if that is what you want to do. I would suggest though that you ask yourself ONE important question. Would you rather be on subs for a couple months without a bunch of w/d symptoms, but having to spend quite a bit of money on therapy depending on your health insurance situation or would you rather tough out a cold turkey for a couple weeks and be done with it.

Should you go with the cold turkey method you can lessen your w/d symptoms by using what is known as the Thomas Recipe. It has proven to be very successful by lots of people here doing cold turkey detoxes. Check out the following link ....

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

I'm not trying to convince you of what to do one way or the other. If you decide to go with suboxone/subutex check out the following link. Then let us know what you decide is best for you. Remember that if you choose the suboxone route you will have to be in moderately severe w/d MINIMUM before induction. God bless.

When I go dose in the morning I will ask to taper back to 40mg for a week and then down to 30mg a week. Why I was put on 50mg a week for the percocets is beyond me! When I get home from dosing I am useless the rest of the day feeling dizzy and doped up. After I step down to 30 a week I will decide from there about "cold turkey" or continue to taper from the Methadone.
    Since being on Methadone for less than two weeks would I expect withdrawals stepping down from 50 to 40? I am glad I found this forum. You all probably are saving my life!

I wouldn't expect a great deal of trouble from the methadone in just two weeks but realize you're in opiate detox from the percs. So you may feel something from the opiate detox as you titrate down. You did take the percs for a long time. Then you will need to follow the suggestions of either the Thomas Recipe or the sub therapy. Let us know how it goes. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I wouldn't expect a great deal of trouble from the methadone in just two weeks but realize you're in opiate detox from the percs. So you may feel something from the opiate detox as you titrate down. You did take the percs for a long time. Then you will need to follow the suggestions of either the Thomas Recipe or the sub therapy. Let us know how it goes. God bless.
    Would it be a double edged sword if I completley stop the Methadone and re-start the percocets (I still have around 90 left) and when the Methadone is out of my system in a couple of weeks go into withdrawal from the percocets and investigate the suboxone? Kinda start back to where I was before the Methadone? I can't afford two weeks of withdrawal from work but could withdraw a weekend from the percocets and start the suboxone on a Monday. Just a thought. I have heard that Methadone withdrawal is worse than the percocet and even a >>>>>> withdrawal.

robmyaeg is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattXYZ View Post
    Dont do that unless you want HELL to pay! Suboxone will block or flush(does it really matter?) what little methadone you have. I've seen it happen. You MUST be off methadone for THREE days before begining Suboxone! Trust me!!
    Like this says, I once use bupreborhine to stay off WD from methadone and got real sick. You must interrupt the methadone with, say a week of some other opiate, before using buprenorphine.

GaryT1956 is offline New Member

Default Stop the Detoxe

I happened to stop by and read your thread. I am a Clinical Director at a Methadone Clinic.

First off let me say I have never heard of such a Detoxe though I DO NOT doubt you. I have been working in this field since 1979.

Next let me say that anywhere along on a Outpatient Detoxe where withdrawel symtoms occur as you are describing......The Detoxe should be placed on HOLD at that point till these symptom STOP. And when the body adjusts to the Dosage. The symptoms will stop. Once the symtoms stop I would then still remain for another week or so on this dose. Then come down at this point at 2-1/2 mg increments at a time. Again if any discomfort signs appear. Stay at that dose till they subside. Then again come down 2-1/2 mgs.

But I have never heard of dropping above 20mgs by 1mg at a time. The usual detoxe decrease is 10mg in splits of 5 each. The dose is dropped 5mgs for two weeks. Then dropped the second 5mgs. The client remains here till they feel ready to now decrease again. Again this continues at the patients desired rate till 20mgs is reached. This believe it or not is where Detoxe of Methodone becomes difficult and tricky. I've seen patients walk away and simply tough it out at 20mgs and below. I've seen others do as I have described and take another year to reach 0. My point... being totally uncomfortable is a sure set-up for relapse. How long can you be a Lion in the Jungle? Put this on HOLD. Go up 10mgs if need be. The point certainly is NOT to be "high". But it also not to suffer through a 100mg detoxe. A slight feeling of stomach nausea might, and has been felt in the method I've described when dropping 5+5. And this would only last a day or two till the body adjusts and accepts and levels to the new dose. At the point your son is at, I would not be too worried about even going up 5-10mgs. Then starting this over once he adjusts and in his mind is ready?

As far as the type of medication you are asking about. Ask what the Dept. of Corrections is using in your area. I know they work with a few different meds that not benzo's, narcotic's etc. But IMHO the best way to do this is with what are using. Just not the way you are using it.

Also at the point your at, Suboxone should be a Good Route to go with anyone who is on 20 mgs or so.

Good Luck Gary
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-13-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Default Sick of taking Methadone?

Quote Originally Posted by frustrated View Post
    [V][8]I am currently on 80 mgs of meth.Iknow its too early to begin on buph.But does anyone know how to get info if theres a doc in my area that could help me out?Im so sick of taking meth and very serious about getting clean.
    I hear you, and that thought will KEEP YOU CLEAN. See who-ever manages the dosage for your case-load. Drop your dose as I described in the last post. 5+5 then wait a a couple weeks and drop again. I could tell you this. At 80mg you can get down to 50 relitively quick and not feel much of any withdrawal symptoms. As I said, you can do 5 to 10 drops pretty quick till you get around 20. Then you HAVE to slow it down.

Look if you walk 5-miles into the Woods, then you have to Walk 5-miles to get back out?

There's no EASY solution. This is why SO many won't go near methadone and would rather use Pills or Dope? But their are those who cannot do anything but a methadone maint. And they are productive, do not committ crimes, and do not use other drugs?

I have also seen many that just get sick and tired and go in-patient detoxe. This is also a possibility. But your dose is a little to high for that. Most won't take you till you hit 20mg. Not for methadone detoxe anyway. I have seen a few Detaxe's that don't use methadone and will take patients on what-ever. But your gonna be sick and its not going to be easy.

I have seen others walk away on 50mg and make it. Wasn't a stroll in the park but the detoxe wasn't as bad as 80, 100, 150 would be either. When clients start "Cold Turkey" with a 80mg dose or higher. Hallucination's, and all the other uglys will be their to deal with. Ever see someone addicted to methadone reach Hallucination levels from detoxe? Let me tell you, this drug is NO JOKE.

Don't do anything at 80 but take your dose. 5-10mgs at a time. BTW I have also seen [once] a client where I work use the Radid Detoxe. I found this to be DAMN impressive. And I believe it could be a solution to 35 mgs or lower. But at $6700. this may not look like an option to you?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-13-2009 at 02:03 PM.

Default This is about a much as you can expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahrak View Post
    I was on Methadone for approx 3yrs and found a program that assisted me with the detox using Buprenorphene. Inorder to do this, I felt I needed to go into a inpatient program because I knew with the daily distractions around me I would never have a chance (by which I mean, work, kids, wife... all responsibilites that unfortunately came before my own wellbeing). I went into the program after detoxing down to 30mg. At 30mg, I stopped the meth and switched to Buprenorphene. Waited as long as possible before taking it (48hrs, the naltrexone in the Buprenorphene will force withdrawl so best to ensure that all opiates are out of your system) and then had first 4mg dose sublingual. About 40min after it was absorbed - most symptoms went away (Ichy eyes, sneezing, hypersensitive gag-reflex), some aches and pains still remained but I was at least able to function. I was on this dosage for the next 3 days (I think 2wice a day)and then stopped. By this time, I was able to get my head aclimated to what was ahead and what I needed to do without being distracted by the severe discomfort and fear. Buprenorphene is an amazing tool that helped me get thru the initial hump of my withdrawl. hopefully this info will help someone. (it's important to note that throughout the 3yrs I was on meth, my dosage remained fairly low [never went above 50mg] and I had stabalized at 30mg for close to a month before starting the Buprenorphene. - I realize that mine wasn't a high dose but know of similar results in others who were coming down 120+mg. - seems the main contributing factor is allowing the body some time to stabilize at the lower dose (30mg) before starting the Buprenorphene).
    This is about the best way you expect with Buprenorphene, as as you willingly admitt. Your dose was slightly high. The Naltroxone is very similiar to what is used with Over-Dose of Narcotics....Narcon. It puts you inot immediate withdrawal, and continues till all the Narcotics are out of your system.

But I give you credit, your determined and rightfully so. If your NOT then don't take on the battle of detoxe. Simply put, your not ready. Also in order to do something like this. Or to Cold Turkey 30-40mgs in-patient. You have to be in somewhat decent health. This is a tough command on your body While as many say, it won't KILL YOU? You certainly wish you were dead about 100 times a day.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-13-2009 at 02:25 PM.

Anonymous Guest

I've been on methadone for three years. I've decrease down to 2 ML. So far so good. It's taken me 2 years to get down from 95. Luckily, for me, it hasn't been that bad. I've heard all kinds of horror stories from people who haven't been able to substantially decrease so I'm very greatful to have done so. Can anyone tell me what I can expect after getting down to zero?

Anonymous Guest

sleeping will probably be your biggest issue.
    i counted down a few years ago (in 01) off methadone, i was still using a bit of morphine, so i didnt do it properly like it sounds you did. good on you.
    is it possible to get to like .5 and then skip a day, .5 skip two days.
    me and my partner found, (he used my methadone to count off) that he could go a day or two, then suffer, so i would give him a tiny amount,
    gradually he didnt need any.

for me, i didnt sleep properly for ages, and the restless legs.

good on you for getting so low, take it easy, and once you have one zero day, try and have a tiny little bit, so you can possible drag out, days inbetween. often on a program you cant do that, its zero and quit.
    we found by me still being on it, he was able to skip days, first one, then two, and so on.
    good luck pal
    cheeky

p.s i am on subs now, got back into it, so ive counted down to 30mg of methadone, then jumped to subs, and have counted down to 1.2 mg of sub.

Anonymous Guest

You have no idea how good it is to get some feedback. I've been looking everywhere for people who have successfully detoxed off w/o other medication (minus the morphine) and unfortunately, it's pretty hard. My husband and I are in the same position. He's down to 30 ml so he'll still be on it for a while. I get take homes so I also milk my bottles and save what is left over. So, are we talking months of no sleep or what? Have any good tips to ease the symptoms?

And good luck to you. I hope all goes well.

I agree with cheekysod. Listen about switching over to subs. It will make that last 30mg go lots easier. Here is a link that will help explain how to use them properly like so many others here have done. God bless.

newyorkgal is offline Advanced Member

Your husband who is on 30 mg. is a prime candidate for subutex and I hope he considers it. You are already down to 2 mg. That is an amazing accomplishment. I would drop to 1 mg. and stay on that for a few weeks then do what cheeky said and drop to 1/2 mg. of meth for a few weeks or at leat til you are comfortable then start skipping 1 day, then 2 days, then 3 etc. It still won't be w/d free as meth is a hard one to come off of, but doing it that way and taking your time should make it very doable.
    NYG

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast