I need some advice on coming off meds
    3discsoutofwhack is offline Junior Member

Default I need some advice on coming off meds

I have been on meds for 2 yrs for 3 heniated discs in my lower spine. I have built up my core muscles and am getting better and have less pain. I need some advice, before I go to my pain management Doctor and tell him I want off my meds. I am on ms-contin 60mg 4 times a day, oxycodone 30mg 4 times a day and ativan 2mg 3 times a day. I have heard of many different ways to detox, methadone, subutex, but they seem to be switching from one pill to another. I know it won't be easy but what do I do from here. Like I said before i want off these meds. what do you think the best way I can withdrawl from these drugs without going into a facility or taking alot of time from work ???? Your advise will be well recieved
    Thank you 3 discs on the mend

mpvt is offline Advanced Member

Alot of people think that going on methadone or buprenorphene(subutex,suboxone) is switching one drug for another.Nothing could be farther from the truth.
    In your case I would try suboxone as it's easier to take and you don't have to attend a clinic.
    Suboxone is buprenorphene with I believe naloxone or naltrexone.It's a partial agonist meaning not all of the drug attaches to the receptor (there is more to it than that but for times sake!!).
    So what happens is you stop all you opiates and wait until your in withdrawls (the longer you can wait the better).Once you're ready you place the suboxone under your tongue and let it dissolve.You should start to feel better within the half hour.If it has no effect then you take 4 more mgs and so on.Most people take 8-12mgs a day.
    Once you get to the right dose you will feel normal and clear headed.Now you can begin to change your life without opiates.
    While you're on suboxone your brain will revert back to it's original chemical state before you took opiates or at least as back to normal as possible.
    These two things alone differ from just switching to another opiate.Good luck....Dave

ymccormack is offline Member

I agree with Dave....you are a great candidate for suboxone. The only other way is going to be very painful and require significant time off - also high chance of relapse....cold turkey or taper.

Why put yourself through that when suboxone is available?

Good Luck and Keep Us Posted!

YM

disabledleo is offline Member

Default Talk to your doctor first

Hello I wouldn't do anything on your own. I would suggest talking to your doctor about getting you off what he/she put you on. Whatever you do I would not try & stop what you are taking on your own. I was forced to go off very similar doses cold turkey & would not recommend it to anyone.
    Talk to your doctor

3discsoutofwhack is offline Junior Member

Default I heard suboxone is a more difficult detox

I heard withdrawls from suboxone are more painfull and stays in your body longer hence a longer detox. Is this true ? I just want to make sure guys. I know you understand. I trying to get back into recovery and life. One more ? Does suboxone make you sweat. Right now if I go up the stairs I'm sweating bullets. thanx 3 discs

mpvt is offline Advanced Member

Depending on how long your taking the suboxone will determine how long you will need to wean down.Most people jump off the suboxone to quickly and they end up going thru terrible withdrawls.So the trick is to wean down slowly and work with the doctor.
    From what I know suboxone does not cause profuse sweating....Good luck.....Dave

cpdawg is offline New Member

Default Getting Off Meds

I just got off all pain MEDS after being on them for 3 years, here is the list
    1) Duragesic Patch 75mcg/h every 3 days
    2) Percocet 5/325 10- 12 a day
    3) Oxycodone 650 10-12 a day
    4) Cymbalta 60mg 2 a day

The next one's I am still on!
    5)Lyrica 300mg 2 a day
    6) Ambian CR 10mg 1 at nite to help sleep if possible!
    My Doctor who is a DO not MD, an I both Agree that after 3 years they were not working, so on 1/16/2008 I went thru a five day Methadone Program.
    It helped some, It is not easy but it is great to have my brain back, 22 years ago I detoxed my self after 16 years heavy drug use, so I do know the difference.

I just Recieved 4 Shots 2/14/2008 and was put on Clonidine HCL 0.1mg 3 times a day, seems to help a little.
    over the counter meds do not work.
    my pain level on the meds before and after are still in the same pain range of 7-10!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So do not give up you are not alone in the pain world, or as I call it
    LIFE SUCKS SYDROME!
    I have been beat down before in my life and I always got up, and this is never going to keep me down so good luck, I will check to see if you replied to this, I am in the US EST.

hurtingneckandback is offline New Member

Unhappy cold turkey

I recently stoped taking kadian (ms contin) 20 mg 2x daily after being on for 3 months. I still take 10/500 mg hydrocodon. I am prescribed 4 pills daily but could easly double that lately. They seem to do nothing since I stopped the ms contin. Not to mention I am suffering anxiety and withdraws from the kadian. I stopped taking it cold turkey. 12 days now. I am suffering from two broad based buldging discs in my c spine. I am a fine dining server and have a 4 yr old little boy so i add stress to my injury. I am married but my husband has been away for over a yr in the service. My doctors don't want to change my meds until I try the steroid injections that I have scheduled for next month. Has anyone out there suffered from Kadian withdraws? When will they go away and what should I expect with the injections?

ymccormack is offline Member

The MS Contin and hydrocodone are both opiates....except the MS Contin is much stronger.

Typically you would be prescribed the Kadian (time released morphine sulphate) with the hyrdocodone for break through pain...the hydrocodone just gives the MS Contin the boost it needs. Your tolerance after three months of Kadian has gone way up...while a couple of hydrocodone used to work pretty well...now they don't even touch the pain.

Basically you have just cut your dosage by....I'm guessing....60-75% maybe. I'm sure you feel terrible, right? The hydrocodone are not going to cut it after taking Kadian for three months (you figured that out the hard way). You need to either call your doctor and tell him you are in terrible pain....or suffer through this. Also, I've read mixed reaction from the steroid shots. Who knows...they may totally relieve your pain?

Look on this site for the Thomas Recipe. It has some good tips. Also, be careful not to jump the gun and take all of your hydrocodone before you talk to your doctor. He may actually be trying to wean you off the pain killers and didn't want to alarm you. In that case, you will have to be pretty persuasive to get him to prescribe. Be very careful how you approach this...you don't want to look like a pill seeker.

Good Luck

YM

willconquer81 is offline New Member

Default still working at it

stopped taking the suboxone 3/8 and still struggling with it. sleep was none for several days, jerks, rls, aches, anger....it seems never ending or forgiving. have take lortab, oxy, then went to methadone for several yrs and have now been on the suboxone since june 07, this is week 3 and have started to take a few tabs now and again to get throught the withdrawl it totally sucks. going to a doctor for mental health, not sure what to do............ideas and suggestions always welcome.....

deedehart is offline New Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 3discsoutofwhack View Post
    I have been on meds for 2 yrs for 3 heniated discs in my lower spine. I have built up my core muscles and am getting better and have less pain. I need some advice, before I go to my pain management Doctor and tell him I want off my meds. I am on ms-contin 60mg 4 times a day, oxycodone 30mg 4 times a day and ativan 2mg 3 times a day. I have heard of many different ways to detox, methadone, subutex, but they seem to be switching from one pill to another. I know it won't be easy but what do I do from here. Like I said before i want off these meds. what do you think the best way I can withdrawl from these drugs without going into a facility or taking alot of time from work ???? Your advise will be well recieved
    Thank you 3 discs on the mend
    Hey there. I've had multiple back surgeries and was put on all of those medications also. It was a long road of coming off of the "hard stuff" I tried the methadone way which became even harder to come off of than the ms contin. And the withdrawals were about the same. I've been on "Suboxone for a few months now and it doesn't get me that "high" feeling that the methadone did ( which I now have it mind set to come off of anything that was messing me up.) I have 3 kids to take care of. And the suboxone has truly helped me and really saved my life. I don't feel the urge to take other things and I know that if I took something else that I wouldn't feel it because of the opiate blocker in the suboxone and I have the prescription to last me a month and it's plenty to take per day. Good Luck with your back and with finding your own treatment. Meetings, counseling and a good support team are the way to go also. Youll realize you're not alone.
    Dee

James P is offline New Member

Default I couldnt have said it any better.

Quote Originally Posted by mpvt View Post
    Alot of people think that going on methadone or buprenorphene(subutex,suboxone) is switching one drug for another.Nothing could be farther from the truth.
    In your case I would try suboxone as it's easier to take and you don't have to attend a clinic.
    Suboxone is buprenorphene with I believe naloxone or naltrexone.It's a partial agonist meaning not all of the drug attaches to the receptor (there is more to it than that but for times sake!!).
    So what happens is you stop all you opiates and wait until your in withdrawls (the longer you can wait the better).Once you're ready you place the suboxone under your tongue and let it dissolve.You should start to feel better within the half hour.If it has no effect then you take 4 more mgs and so on.Most people take 8-12mgs a day.
    Once you get to the right dose you will feel normal and clear headed.Now you can begin to change your life without opiates.
    While you're on suboxone your brain will revert back to it's original chemical state before you took opiates or at least as back to normal as possible.
    These two things alone differ from just switching to another opiate.Good luck....Dave
    I know that these posts are old but I just wanted to add a few things for the people in this situation who are looking for help. I was HORIBLY (yeah my spelling sucks) adicted to pain medication for at least 8 years and was very worried I was going to ruin my life completely to the point that I wouldnt be able to salvage it. I found a good doctor who took my insurance and went from 300 mg of oxy's on thursday to nothing but suboxone on friday and loved every minute of it! If your addicted dont give it even more than 5 minutes of thought, - really. The statement from above this one from Dave is 100% accurate. Just my 2 cents as a guy thats been through it all as of 4 weeks ago. Also I beg whoever reads this to discourage the illeagle sale of suboxone for profit. That will screw it all up for the people who will not make it if they cant get into see a doctor becouse some punk dealer got there spot. Doctors can only see 100 patients a year and thats set in stone (by congress actualy)

SandSeven is offline New Member

I would suggest Suboxone like many others have. There are many reasons for this, but first and for most is getting off the opiates and staying off them. I believe Suboxone is the best choice for doing this from personal experience.

For me I started taking pain killers for recreational use, and it led to me taking oxycontin. I was taking 40-120mg a day, and getting off the street. I money alone was killing me. I did not have health insurance at the time, and I needed to do something. I found Methadone off the street. While it still was expensive, it only took 3 pills a day ($18 a day >> $40-$100 a day). Methadone was wonderful at first. A few pill lasted all day, and I was able to sleep entire nights without waking up with withdrawals. The was Methadone felt way too good. While I was able to regulate my use, I was never able to taper down. I was still spending $400-$500 a month on pills. At this point I needed help.

I went to a doctor and was prescribed 16mg of Suboxone. One 8mg tab in the mourning and another in the afternoon. It took away all physical cravings; however, the mental addition for the opiates was still there. I found myself still using opiates occasionally like on weekends for recreational use. However, after 4 months constantly on Suboxone without taking any opiates, something very crucial happened. I tried to take 40mg of Methadone and felt nothing.

Suboxone will eventually take your ability to use opiates away. You can take all the opiates you want and you don't feel a thing. This allowed me to stay on the Suboxone long enough to get rid of the mental addiction side of the opiates. To this day (a year since the last time I took any opiate), I have not had any mental or physical cravings. It's all about staying on your initial starting dose long enough to get rid of the mental addiction. Then it will be time to start tapering.

The thing about Suboxone that makes it better than Methadone is the ability to get rid of the psychological addiction. By starting on Suboxone and finding the correct dose initially, then staying on that dose for a period of 6-10 months at a minimum. You will no longer be craving a high. At this point it is a good time to start tapering down. For me I stayed on Suboxone at 16mg for 10 months. (I believe my doctor started me way too high but that's another story).

The move from 16mg to 12mg was an easy one, with no withdrawals or mental cravings. I kept tapering down every 2 months. Going from 12 to 8. Then 8 to 6. Then 6 to 4. I am at 4mg a day now, and I have still yet to have any withdrawals. In one month from now I'll move to 2mg a day. I don't have advice on what happens when you stop the Suboxone completely though. In a few months I'll let you know.

I also don't crave the medicine. I've even noticed myself missing doses by simply forgetting about them. This is a big change from when I was using opiates. When I was taking opiates, I always knew how many pills I had, and always wanted my next dose. This included the Methadone. It was just as addictive as the oxycontin.

Good luck and be strong. With Suboxone, I have no doubt you'll be able to get off the opiates. Just remember this isn't going to be an overnight thing.

SandSeven

intelmetal is offline Senior Member

Default suboxone

Quote Originally Posted by SandSeven View Post
    I would suggest Suboxone like many others have. There are many reasons for this, but first and for most is getting off the opiates and staying off them. I believe Suboxone is the best choice for doing this from personal experience.

For me I started taking pain killers for recreational use, and it led to me taking oxycontin. I was taking 40-120mg a day, and getting off the street. I money alone was killing me. I did not have health insurance at the time, and I needed to do something. I found Methadone off the street. While it still was expensive, it only took 3 pills a day ($18 a day >> $40-$100 a day). Methadone was wonderful at first. A few pill lasted all day, and I was able to sleep entire nights without waking up with withdrawals. The was Methadone felt way too good. While I was able to regulate my use, I was never able to taper down. I was still spending $400-$500 a month on pills. At this point I needed help.

I went to a doctor and was prescribed 16mg of Suboxone. One 8mg tab in the mourning and another in the afternoon. It took away all physical cravings; however, the mental addition for the opiates was still there. I found myself still using opiates occasionally like on weekends for recreational use. However, after 4 months constantly on Suboxone without taking any opiates, something very crucial happened. I tried to take 40mg of Methadone and felt nothing.

Suboxone will eventually take your ability to use opiates away. You can take all the opiates you want and you don't feel a thing. This allowed me to stay on the Suboxone long enough to get rid of the mental addiction side of the opiates. To this day (a year since the last time I took any opiate), I have not had any mental or physical cravings. It's all about staying on your initial starting dose long enough to get rid of the mental addiction. Then it will be time to start tapering.

The thing about Suboxone that makes it better than Methadone is the ability to get rid of the psychological addiction. By starting on Suboxone and finding the correct dose initially, then staying on that dose for a period of 6-10 months at a minimum. You will no longer be craving a high. At this point it is a good time to start tapering down. For me I stayed on Suboxone at 16mg for 10 months. (I believe my doctor started me way too high but that's another story).

The move from 16mg to 12mg was an easy one, with no withdrawals or mental cravings. I kept tapering down every 2 months. Going from 12 to 8. Then 8 to 6. Then 6 to 4. I am at 4mg a day now, and I have still yet to have any withdrawals. In one month from now I'll move to 2mg a day. I don't have advice on what happens when you stop the Suboxone completely though. In a few months I'll let you know.

I also don't crave the medicine. I've even noticed myself missing doses by simply forgetting about them. This is a big change from when I was using opiates. When I was taking opiates, I always knew how many pills I had, and always wanted my next dose. This included the Methadone. It was just as addictive as the oxycontin.

Good luck and be strong. With Suboxone, I have no doubt you'll be able to get off the opiates. Just remember this isn't going to be an overnight thing.

SandSeven
    SandSeven, You are still on a very high dose of OPIATES, that is right, opiates. You have been on them for a very long time also. You will not feel ill until you get to 2mgs or below, just a heads up. You better slow it down when you get to the lower doses or you will pay dearly. Try reducing your dose by 25% every 4-5 days all the way down to .25mgs, and then come back for some suggestions. The hard part is yet to come, I did this deal and it ain't no walk in the park.
    You will find plenty of support here if you are willing to listen. I, for one will try and help you get off for good when you get down to the micro doses. Just keep posting your progress here. Better yet, start a new thread for yourself, that way we can do a better job of following your journey. Good Luck and Best Wishes !
    Steve