methadone to suboxone
    Summygirl is offline Member

Default methadone to suboxone

When do i start my 8/2 suboxone prescription. I'm on 70 mgs of methadone, i want to stop immediately. How long should i wait, to avoid precipitated wd's?

Summygirl is offline Member

I don't know why i cannot submit my question from last week. I am new to this site and need help with navigation so that i can get help with this switch. Apparently my question is still waiting for approval through admin. IDK. Please help.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Summygirl View Post
    When do i start my 8/2 suboxone prescription. I'm on 70 mgs of methadone, i want to stop immediately. How long should i wait, to avoid precipitated wd's?
    Hello Summygirl - You're posting in a rather obscure section of the forum. Not much traffic here. No fault of yours of course as you didn't know. Try re-posting in either the Suboxone section or Need to Talk section of the forum. Lots more members will see and respond to you there.

As for your question of when to take the sub, you should wait intil you taper the methadone down to at LEAST 30mgs, and the lower the better. I made the same switch myself and it is very tricky to do, and you want to avoid Precipitated Withdrawalds at all costs! Take the sub too soon and you will be sicker than you have ever been in your life.

Begin by slowly taperiing the methadone down until you're at 30mgs. It would be to your advantage to get the dose lower. At that point you can STOP taking the methadone (and everything else) and wait until withdrawals begin. You must wait until you're in moderate to severe withdrawals which will most likely take DAYS due to the very long half life of the methadone. You should use what is called a Cows (clinical opiate withdrawal scale) to determine the severity of your withdrawal symptoms. Once you get to a score of 26 (or higher) it's safe to take your first dose of sub. Don't take it early or you may experience those PW's and I promise you DO NOT want that to happen.

I'm giving you the link to the induction and taper plan most use here. I used it, got on subs and now off. It's a great plan as many here will attest too. Here's the link-----

https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...tml#post436333

Here is also the link to that Cows Sheet I mentioned-----

http://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_...flow_sheet.pdf

Read the plan over good. Try to post in one of those other sections I mentioned. You can do this if you follow the plan precisely. Ask all the questions you need to ask. Plenty of experienced members here to help and support you through this. The switch is tough, but you can do it. But you gotta get that methadone dose down beforehand. Hang in there and try tapering the methadone lower. Let us know how you're doing. Keep posting. We're here to help all we can!