Pain Management Issue, need help/opinions.
    JasonBr09 is offline New Member

Default Pain Management Issue, need help/opinions.

Hello

I'm a 19 year old male. I mention this because I think my age might have to do with my surgeon's decision. I've had an open wound for 2 1/2 years, cannot sit down at all for longer than 20 minutes without extreme pain. This all started with a pilonidal cyst which apparently this isn't uncommon with these. I've had 4 surgeries within the 2 1/2 years. I can go into detail about the surgeries if needed, the most recent surgery (2 weeks ago) is where the problem has occured. Granulation (sp?) tissue had grown all inside my wound, he basically just s********ed it all out and put a few stitches in. My surgeon seems to think I can deal with daily pain from this from nothing more than tylenol, I think that is very wrong. There's absolutely no way I'm living with a one-inch long, 3cm deep wound on my tailbone which hurts when I walk for extended periods, get up, bend down, and as I mentioned I CANNOT sit down. Not to mention he is going to be using silver nitrate on it every week and I can barely walk after that. I was at a pain management center in which they were giving me Methadone 10mg/2per day. On my most recent visit to them, I found out they are not a pain management center which handles script management and were merely doing it as a favor to me (they didn't expect it to last this long). He gave me a month supply of 10mg/4 per day norco so I have that for now. I'm not going to see that doctor anymore though. My surgeon who thinks I can deal with tylenol has referred me to a pain management center, but I got the impression it was more therapy based. I do not think therapy will help open-wound pain. I want to know if my surgeon is wrong in thinking I can deal with this with only tylenol? Where to go/what to do if he persists with that mentality? Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. I might've forgot some important information and will respond with the answer if it will help the decision some of you might have. Thanks

tired2 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBr09 View Post
    Hello

I'm a 19 year old male. I mention this because I think my age might have to do with my surgeon's decision. I've had an open wound for 2 1/2 years, cannot sit down at all for longer than 20 minutes without extreme pain. This all started with a pilonidal cyst which apparently this isn't uncommon with these. I've had 4 surgeries within the 2 1/2 years. I can go into detail about the surgeries if needed, the most recent surgery (2 weeks ago) is where the problem has occured. Granulation (sp?) tissue had grown all inside my wound, he basically just s********ed it all out and put a few stitches in. My surgeon seems to think I can deal with daily pain from this from nothing more than tylenol, I think that is very wrong. There's absolutely no way I'm living with a one-inch long, 3cm deep wound on my tailbone which hurts when I walk for extended periods, get up, bend down, and as I mentioned I CANNOT sit down. Not to mention he is going to be using silver nitrate on it every week and I can barely walk after that. I was at a pain management center in which they were giving me Methadone 10mg/2per day. On my most recent visit to them, I found out they are not a pain management center which handles script management and were merely doing it as a favor to me (they didn't expect it to last this long). He gave me a month supply of 10mg/4 per day norco so I have that for now. I'm not going to see that doctor anymore though. My surgeon who thinks I can deal with tylenol has referred me to a pain management center, but I got the impression it was more therapy based. I do not think therapy will help open-wound pain. I want to know if my surgeon is wrong in thinking I can deal with this with only tylenol? Where to go/what to do if he persists with that mentality? Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. I might've forgot some important information and will respond with the answer if it will help the decision some of you might have. Thanks
    Hi Jason...First off I'm sorry you are having these issues...so the wound is still open and in a very hard to heal area...I'm not a doctor but that is not right to still have an open wound. Some therapies are water related etc.. I would go see another doctor and get a second opinion...as far as the P/M doctors they are not very willing to hand out pain meds ..I'm a little surprised they would put you on Meth. usually they will only give you hydro's first .I see you are on Norco ...P/M doctors will make you come back some every month and with your age and problem that's normal...you really do not want to take pain meds unless it's totally necessary . They are to easy to get addicted to and doesn't take long ...trust me and are hard as h$ll to stop. I would get a second opinion your problem.
    This may sound stupid but get a donut it's sorta like an inner tube to sit on... it may help you sit a little more comfortable . I bruised my tail bone when I was 15 and I had a lot of pain....I couldn't sit on anything for yrs whenever I sat on a hard surfaces etc..I could even get in a car. It really did help alot.
    I wish I could give you a better answer.
    Pam

JasonBr09 is offline New Member

Thanks for the response. I assume I will eventually go to a different doctor/pain management doctor to see what they say, I just really don't feel like tylenol will cut it for something like this. He's the first sugeon who has said I'm going to have to deal with it from tylenol (i've had 3 different ones). The donut has been mentioned to me before but they don't want me sitting at all because of the pressure in that area, I was just clarifying that I cannot sit down even if I could/wanted to. We'll see what happens I guess.

margarsa is offline New Member

Where is your primary care doctor (PCP)? He (she) is all about you and should be in the loop of all your medical care needs. Your surgeon's goal is to get your wound cleared up, not on how your life is while that is happening. Talk to your PCP and together you can get the help you need. Hope this helps. If your response is that didn't help, then get a new PCP.

Yogasmer is offline New Member

agree with margarsa, someone besides the surgeon needs to be helping you.

It does sound like the pain is more than tylenol will help, however I would be VERY wary about taking pain killers unless you absolutely without a doubt have to take them, it's a short path to life destruction with this stuff so go in to the PM with the attitude that you just don't want to hurt and that you would like to get away with the least amount of meds possible. With that mentality you are more likely to succeed with the PM and your recovery.

That said my biggest concern is still the open wound, it seems a little crazy for this to still be going on and I would wonder if another avenue or doctor might be able to shed some light on alternative methodologies that might actually improve your situation.

Good Luck and heal quickly!

kelkat67@nyc.rr.com is offline New Member

Where do you live? My first advice to you is get a second opinion! I take morphine 300mgs. a day(for pain) and also have been on a pain management clinic for at least 5 years. Also I am on a methadone program 100mgs. a day (for Methadone Maintainance not for pain) It's too late, but, my best advice would have been not to have any back surgery in the first place,I can't stress that enough! Please contact me for further advice, I tell you all of this to let you know that I know alot about the subject of pain/pain management/addiction.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-17-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: more information needed