Human meloxicam for dogs??
    rocksolidihope is offline New Member

Question Human meloxicam for dogs??

I am taking human meloxicam for myself and I have been told by my vet not to give it to my dog as she reckons that she has been told by the manufacturers that it contains something else that is bad for dogs. Apart from the meloxicam the tablets also contain:
    sodium citrate
    lactose
    microcrystalline cellulose
    povidone
    crospovidone
    colloidal anhydrous silica
    magnesium stearate

Are any of these ingredients likely to cause problems? My dog is a chihuahua and because the recommended dose is 0.05 mg/lb [for dogs] she would only ever have 1/38th of a tablet. Meloxicam for pets is expensive but for people it is much less, or in my case free.

I did try her on it a few weeks ago when she had some pain [she is 14 years old and arthritic] and it seemed to work and there were no problems.

Any other owners doing this? Any vetinarian opions would also be very useful. Thanks.

mommywoman is offline New Member

My chihuahua also took Meloxicam for chronic pain. He did fine with it. He took it long term for bad arthritis. His was a liquid and came with a special dropper that had weight markings cause it was perscribed by weight. He did fine with it. He got it one time a day and it helped him a lot until we had him euthanized recently for severe congestive heart failure (a progressive disease) that his different meds were no longer helping.