My dog is constipated!
    Lino S Cruz is offline New Member

Question My dog is constipated!

What is the best treatment for constipation? I am feeding my dog with home-cooked food (boiled rice + small pieces of meat or fish and vegetables).

Pain Hater is offline Junior Member

I would try taking the rice out of your dog's diet for a little while and see if that helps. Whenever my dog has diarrhea rice is usually what I give him to help harden his stool. The rice could be contributing to the constipation.

Joan R is offline New Member

Default Dog's Constipation Remedy

My vet recommended a tablespoon of canned pumpkin for constipation. It works!

Lino S Cruz is offline New Member

Default Treatment for constipation

Quote Originally Posted by Pain Hater View Post
    I would try taking the rice out of your dog's diet for a little while and see if that helps. Whenever my dog has diarrhea rice is usually what I give him to help harden his stool. The rice could be contributing to the constipation.
    Thanks a lot, guys. I modified the rice diet into rice porridge. And so far, it is working. I will also add canned pumpkin as recommended. Regards, LSC

sharpshooter is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joan R View Post
    My vet recommended a tablespoon of canned pumpkin for constipation. It works!
    Please make sure when getting your cans that it's 100% pure pumpkin and not canned pumpkin pie mix since that kind comes prepared with spices in it already that you don't want to give your dog and the way stores stock it they could easily get mixed up. I use "Libby's" usually and stay away from the "One Pie" brand. Also, some pet stores will sell canned pumpkin safe for dogs but more expensive. There's also some that comes in a wax paper carton bottle that's pourable & needs to be refrigerated once opened made by "Fruitable" is the brand name of that kind & comes in different varieties. Good luck!!