ativan and valium dosages
    michellemalone is offline New Member

Post ativan and valium dosages

Hi, I have a sister on 2 mgs of Ativan for panic attacks, anxiety, etc... she took 1 in the morning and 1 in evening

Her doctor (Phychiatrist) switched her to Valium, 5 mgs (taken 3 times a day).. total 15mgs

we were told valium is longer lasting, so it will help better... She said that taking 5 mgs 3 x a day was equivalant in dosage to the 2 mgs of Ativan, but will last longer in my sisters system.... Is this true, don't know how they figure out the dosages thanks

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by michellemalone View Post
    Hi, I have a sister on 2 mgs of Ativan for panic attacks, anxiety, etc... she took 1 in the morning and 1 in evening

Her doctor (Phychiatrist) switched her to Valium, 5 mgs (taken 3 times a day).. total 15mgs

we were told valium is longer lasting, so it will help better... She said that taking 5 mgs 3 x a day was equivalant in dosage to the 2 mgs of Ativan, but will last longer in my sisters system.... Is this true, don't know how they figure out the dosages thanks

The dr is talking about the long half life of valium making it last longer. Valium has the longest half life of all the benzo drugs. I personlly think the dr's train of thought is pretty accurate. With the long half life of valium, if she is really having panic attacks, the dr is trying to keep a sufficient dose of meds in her system. Sounds more like anxiety though than panic attacks if the dr wants to use valium. God bless.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-30-2009 at 11:03 AM.