Can you interpret this?
    canupp46 is offline Banned

Default Can you interpret this?

From a prescription

I know it means 1 pill by mouth but what follows the q ?

Thanks.

It would be nice to know what the drug is to help solve the riddle, but looks to be QD which is everyday, so one pill by mouth every day
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B

rph480 is offline New Member

Yes - it totally depends on what the drug is.

To me, it looks like 1 gm, then 1 po q 6 hrs (1 by mouth every six hours - the degree sign means hrs) then there's either a stray mark or a slash after that.

This sig would make perfect sense if the Rx were for Carafate.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-27-2009 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rph480 View Post
    Yes - it totally depends on what the drug is.

To me, it looks like 1 gm, then 1 po q 6 hrs (1 by mouth every six hours - the degree sign means hrs) then there's either a stray mark or a slash after that.

This sig would make perfect sense if the Rx were for Carafate.
    haha, I should've looked a little harder. I totally retract my statement about the QD, and agree with rph on that it appears to be "every 6 hours". A common 1 gram Rx is valtrex though so could be QD... who knows without the actual drug.
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B

Quote Originally Posted by pharmstud(ent) View Post
    haha, I should've looked a little harder. I totally retract my statement about the QD, and agree with rph on that it appears to be "every 6 hours". A common 1 gram Rx is valtrex though so could be QD... who knows without the actual drug.
    you are right, the drug is valtrex

ok what about this one.... would you accept it? or does it look wrong?

sorry but i had to block out the doctor and patiend identifying info

Cimetidine 800 mg. Take 1 tablet by mouth three times daily before meals. #100.
    That is a high amount of cimetidine, but does not EXCEED the maximum dosage (it equals it at 2400 mg/day), which is normally for pathologic hypersecretory conditions (such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, systemic mastocytosis, multiple endocrine adenomas). So it is not unsafe amounts, but if you are concerned it never hurts to call the doctor and double check they should be taking that much since its not horribly common. Also, some states require two lines for the doctor's signature, depends on the state I believe... I always think its fine to be honest as long as it has the DAW check box and its not even a control med.

Dr. B