Erroneous Information on Drugs.com
    publius is offline New Member

Default Erroneous Information on Drugs.com

This is maily directed to drugs.com...

In your description of the side effects of the drug "Nabilone," you say that it creates a "false sense of well-being." My question is, what makes one feeling of well-being different than any other? the "sense of well-being" is that same sense regardless of causal factors.

The phrase, "false sense of well-being," is blatant propaganda. It is meaningless. It functions as nothing more than an under-the-table attack on the real social, psychological, revelatory, and spiritual values of psychedelic drugs. That phrase is malicious, insecure superstition. It is ignoble and non-scientific.

The "false" sense of well-being attained from psychedelic drugs is not a negative side-effect. Who would honestly consider it bad? (No one, it is a claim made by authorities outside of science; it is propaganda). I doubt you, the person reading this, honestly do. This so-called "false" well-being is, if anything, beneficial because it (and ecstatic states in general) allows for a more stable, objective, and thorough self-confrontation, to resolve a person's non-material, purely psychological rackets that affect him in the physical world. This "false" sense of well-being is admittedly transient for many people--since it comes down to a matter of will--but it is also the most complete and REAL "false" sense of well-being that some frequent. Psychedelic drugs--and there is no limit to the size of the empirical basis of this claim--expedite academically and religiously defined "mystical experience." Of course this invaluable "heresy" would be more accepted and confirmed if we lived in a community of real mutual concern for each other's well-being. In our society, we unfortunately have nonsense like "false sense of well-being." Unfortunately, we make the world hell for anyone who does not find any interest or reality in the pursuit of material. Society itself is guilty of producing this "false" sense, not the loathsome (required to say) marijuana-related drug. It is the fault of our culture and government that our neighbors are often literal strangers to us. It is the fault of our culture that people are kept isolated by stories told to them by other isolated people who want to take their money (and with scams). America keeps people isolated and competitive; it prevents and discourages them from discovering more efficiently what makes them complete and actualized.

This sense of well-being is "false," because it occurs in a society and culture where people don't want well-being for each other! This sense is "false" because people here want only to compete and make money, which itself is little more than procrastination for finally doing that which they they think the money is moving them toward: choosing to be happy. This sense is "false" because our "consumerist" nation allows itself to be perpetually fooled into thinking that happiness is a process or requires the accumulation of toys. For me or not for me, would you please do something about this? I am begging for some integrity.

https://www.drugs.com/cons/Nabilone.html

kellrx is offline Member

Well, it sounds to me that you are defending drugs that alter your sense of being, and most likely have used them or know a lot about them. And, by definition, when you need a foreign substance to bring about a sense of "well-being" it is false because it wasn't there before the substance was introduced. This is labeled as "bad" because substances like these are usually addictive due to this quality and harmful to the body, no matter what some say, yes they are harmful. Some drugs, like anti-psychotics, can sometimes bring this feeling, but that is due to re-balancing the chemicals that should acutally be there to begin with, and yes, in this case it might be a "good" thing. So I disagree that it is propaganda. There are reasons for being described that way.

publius is offline New Member

What mental event DOESN'T have an analogous biochemical event? All feelings have linked measurable chemical symptoms. What you say means that if I were to get a feeling of well-being from riding my bike that that feeling would be bad or false because it didn't come about spontaneously or totally on its own. What temporary, sometimes-lasting (depending on will- power) "sense of well being" does NOT arise from some type of "external" stimulus? Psychedelics offer a great deal of real and important insight. Have you ever tried any?

I am not defending "drug abuse." Psychedelic plants have been experienced as the highest held sacraments for 99% of the time of their known use. I am defending legitimacy, which is irrefutable if knowledge--that is, experience--of them is had. Otherwise, you don't even know what it is you condemn, what it is to "be high." As if ayahuasca is in any way similar to cocaine or alcohol or adderall or paxil or even over-use of cannabis.

All this talk of chemical imbalances is bull****, unless you are talking about some diagnosable, significant problem like schizophrenia. Tell me, what mental state does NOT accompany a change in brain chemistry.

Problems such as depression don't reside in the chemical analogue of the mental events, and it is in the mental events that they DO reside.

Despite what one "reduces" to, a physical, chemical event is not identical to the thing that you experience as consciousness. It's just not so. It's not even logical. The fact that "you experience"--regardles of if that experience is illusory or not--is still a fact.