How long is a script good once filled?
    msmomma3 is offline New Member

Default How long is a script good once filled?

I have a script of hydrocodone that is PRN that was filled the end of June. I take them VERY carefully and ONLY if I absolutely need them. I know I have a drug test coming up very soon for employment and was wondering how long this script will cover me for? I am in a ton of pain and want to take one but I am scared it will mess up my drug test. I can't afford to lose my job but also can not function in this pain. Does anyone know if this script is considered out dated? I don't have a clue how any of this works but want to be on the safe side. I do not have the money to go to the doctor and get another script when I have the medication right here. I just want to make sure there is not a length of time it is good.

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by msmomma3 View Post
    I have a script of hydrocodone that is PRN that was filled the end of June. I take them VERY carefully and ONLY if I absolutely need them. I know I have a drug test coming up very soon for employment and was wondering how long this script will cover me for? I am in a ton of pain and want to take one but I am scared it will mess up my drug test. I can't afford to lose my job but also can not function in this pain. Does anyone know if this script is considered out dated? I don't have a clue how any of this works but want to be on the safe side. I do not have the money to go to the doctor and get another script when I have the medication right here. I just want to make sure there is not a length of time it is good.
    If your script was filled in June 2010, you have...unless there is a specified end date on the bottle, such as words to the effect "discontinue and dispose after "X" weeks" You have:

At least six months. Consult a pharmacist for more detailed information as laws vary state to state.

I suggest you give your doctor's information to the drug screening company so they can (and they will) confirm that your consumption of this controlled substance is legit.

Ask your local pharmacist. I don't think you'd have issue with it, but please check, laws vary state-to-state. Laws can be...in a word...counterintuitive. So check.
    Peter

Thank you for your response. I am in WV. Do you know anything about this state?

Thank you for your response. I am in WV. Do you know anything about this state?
    You're welcome.

No, consult a pharmacist; you CAN'T get into trouble for that! If you're nervous, write your question out beforehand. It's not at all an unusual one. I just a pharmacy tech (incidentally on the same medication as you) and am not allowed to answer such questions over the phone but get them fairly often.
    Peter

Called the pharmacy that filled the script. Stated that as long as I am taking it for the same reason that they were prescribed it is 6 months. Thanks again for your help. I guess I have read one to many horror stories on here and had myself nervous. I have a very good job and don't want to lose it to something like 1 hydrocdone. Gonna try some motrin first tho.

Called the pharmacy that filled the script. Stated that as long as I am taking it for the same reason that they were prescribed it is 6 months. Thanks again for your help. I guess I have read one to many horror stories on here and had myself nervous. I have a very good job and don't want to lose it to something like 1 hydrocdone. Gonna try some motrin first tho.
    If motrin works, please take IT instead of hydrocodone. Seems like you answered your own question! LOL.
    Peter

I did not realize that motrin and tylenol do not work the same way. I was told by the pharmacy that motrin is an anti-inflammatory and may help with the pain to make it tolerable. I will try that and use the hydrocodone as a last resort should motrin not work. I had taken tylenol and he basically told me I took it for no reason because it is basically for headache type pain and reducing fever....I'm drug ignorant but am dealing with an addicted partner. I need to wisen up!

I did not realize that motrin and tylenol do not work the same way. I was told by the pharmacy that motrin is an anti-inflammatory and may help with the pain to make it tolerable. I will try that and use the hydrocodone as a last resort should motrin not work. I had taken tylenol and he basically told me I took it for no reason because it is basically for headache type pain and reducing fever....I'm drug ignorant but am dealing with an addicted partner. I need to wisen up!
    You should think about bringing up the drug addiction subject in "Need to Talk?"
    Peter

I need to get a little more comfortable first. Thanks for the direction.