Looking for a good pharm tech forum
    pookie5353 is offline New Member

Default Looking for a good pharm tech forum

Links welcome!

PRYLAND is offline New Member

Smile Pharm tech forums

Hi. I'm a new member and a pharm tech student. The replies in this forum seem pretty informative so far. Am I wrong to assume you're a student as well, pookie 5353?

Quote Originally Posted by PRYLAND View Post
    Hi. I'm a new member and a pharm tech student. The replies in this forum seem pretty informative so far. Am I wrong to assume you're a student as well, pookie 5353?
    I am very interested in learning how to become a pharm tech. I have been reading forums online but was looking for more. Most of the advice I have read is to forego the formal schooling and buy books and cds and learn on your own or to just simply apply to your local pharmacies and they will train you and may even pay for your certification exam. However, since they train you they won't pay you very much but it would be worth the experience.PLease share any helpful tips!

Default pharm tech education

Quote Originally Posted by pookie5353 View Post
    I am very interested in learning how to become a pharm tech. I have been reading forums online but was looking for more. Most of the advice I have read is to forego the formal schooling and buy books and cds and learn on your own or to just simply apply to your local pharmacies and they will train you and may even pay for your certification exam. However, since they train you they won't pay you very much but it would be worth the experience.PLease share any helpful tips!
    I did a lot of research on this before signing anything. I researched online schools as well as just made phone calls to various phamacies. One pharmacy told me to fill out an app., start working for them for about a year (learning about the different meds), then take my exam. Now if you want to work in a pharmacy in a hospital setting, you will need more education because there are different rules and regulations for both types. Also, call the colleges who offer the program and ask about costs and the length of the program and accreditation. Some institutions are not accredeted in all states. Compare all the info gathered and you'll be able to make a more informed decision that best fits you. Hope this helps...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that there are two different exams for pharm tech: one for hospital setting and the other for retail. I was thinking that one exam covered it all.

Default Tech examinations

Quote Originally Posted by pookie5353 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that there are two different exams for pharm tech: one for hospital setting and the other for retail. I was thinking that one exam covered it all.
    I'm not sure about the different types of exams. I currently work for a hospital and was going to check with them the closer I got to finishing my course work. It makes sense that there would be different exams for both, however, I haven't been told anyting on the matter. I think I'll go ahead and check with one of my instructor's as well.

Thanks! Stay in touch.

cpht2010 is offline New Member

theres actually only one exam for pharmacy technicians..it covers both retail and hospital. so no need to worry. the exam has 90 questions multiple choice. it is best to take the exam when a tech has 1-2 yrs experience. you will only need to take this exam once and thats it..if you fail the test dont worry you have 2 more chances..for more information on the ptcb exam visit ptcb.org
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-25-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks very much! 90 is good. and you get a second and third chance...
    I'll be checking in every now and then to see what's up...Keep posting if you have any tid bits to share!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-25-2010 at 02:50 PM.