Marijuana and phycotrophic drugs Such as geodon
    DanmRicho is offline New Member

Default Marijuana and phycotrophic drugs Such as geodon

I know perople who mix there phycriatic medication with marijuana and wondered if it could be harmful. When i say harmful I mean physical as well as mentally

the more resoponses the better

Dan[8D]

pharmd06 is offline Member

from a medical stand point this is not something that has been studied so there will be no good reports. all responses will be opinion and some experiences if you are lucky.

marijuana has effects on brain chemistry with both serotonin and dopamine. psych meds such as Geodon all work by either stimulation or blockade of serotonin and dopamine receptors in the brain. with weed in the system, your brain chemistry will change. what could result is a relapse of mania or psychosis maybe even exacerbation of side effects. it could also go the other direction and cause a calm state that could lead into problems or cause no problems. once the high wears off, the brain chemistry will have a chance go back and this transition could again cause problems. i am no expert but i don't think it would be a good idea to mix psych meds with any drug of abuse. but of course people do it all the time.

rusia is offline New Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DanmRicho View Post
    I know perople who mix there phycriatic medication with marijuana and wondered if it could be harmful. When i say harmful I mean physical as well as mentally

Dan[8D]
    I have taken Marijuana with Lithium an anti psychotic and it wasn't harmful and your mind after the high was gone, my mind always went back to normal. The high was switched around, marijuana would usually make me calm, happy and the usual high but with Lithium I was angry aggitated on marijuana and I couldnt think... i dont know if its the same with geodon.

eileen57 is offline New Member

I've had Fibromyalgia for 6 years. It has taken a while, but I have adjusted my pain meds to the minimum i need, (2x)40mg Oxycontin and (4x) 10/325 Oxycodone a day. Additionally, I take Protonix for an esopheagal problem, synthyroid for Hypothyroid, and two types of Albuterol for (well, for smoking cigs too much!) After 3 yrs of fighting my severe depression medless, I gave in and, over the last year tried Cymbalta, Welbutrin and, finally Lexapro. Glad to say I don't drink alcohol at all (body rejects it!), but when I'm super-stressed and home for the night, I'll take a few hits. Not only do I NOT have the slightest adverse physical or mental reaction, I will further state that, when commencing each of the anti-depressants, I went a full 2 months 'potless'. The absolute only difference was the stress relief/relaxation I enjoyed with the 'tokin'. Best of all, for what its worth, I told the truth to both my prescribing shrink and therapist. Both conceded that, in small amounts ( I average 4 grams/wk), they had little reservation, were glad that of the two most likely stimulants, they rathered I opted for the pot.

jasony75 is offline New Member

Thumbs down Most likely

Quote Originally Posted by DanmRicho View Post

Dan[8D]
    I found this post tonight because of a episode I had earlier. I started taking Geodon 3 days ago and decided to have a little marijuana tonight. Boy oh boy, was that a bad idea. I felt great foe about 15 minutes, when I started feeling flush and nauseous. I went to the bathroom (my head spinning now) and tried placing a cold rag on my face. I ended up passing out on the bathroom floor, convinced I was dying. I do not know if any of this was physical but it sure felt like it was. I came online to research whether or not I was just tripping, but found a story exactly like mine, so I would guess that it is physical. Now I have to throw out the green! Im gonna miss that stuff....No jokes people DO NOT mix Geodon and marijuana!

sdskyle is offline New Member

I have been on geodon for a couple of months now and have have been a habitual smoker for a good part of the last 3 years (with the exception of two 3 month periods where I didn't smoke. Before taking geodon, I would basically wake and bake and keep smoking throughout the day. In the beginning, side effects of geodon were very severe for me. As soon as I took my medicine, I would be on my ass tired as hell with a tight chest kind of feeling uneasy because it was so hard to breathe. Needless to say, the side effects of geodon had me not wanting to smoke in the evenings. It was also frustrating to take Geodon in the evening because I wanted to hang out with my friends or stay up late studying, something my body on Geodon was not wanting to happen. Geodon is a hell of a drug; it takes some getting used to.

Marijuana is a good escape for me; it helps stimulate my appetite when I'm anorexic and is great for when I can't sit still to focus on playing music or reading a book. When I've been in terrible moods, it's been a great escape to relax and reflect on things with a friend over a bowl or two or good buds.

On geodon, my equilibrium state of consciousness is very different and smoking weed obviously feels different than before. Those initial few weeks had me feeling much more lethargic about smoking weed; the unpleasant side-effects of geodon left me with little desire to smoke marijuana even though I've loved the stuff for the better part of the last 3 years. I suppose it's the somewhat detached level of consciousness I feel on Geodon that's made weed different. Geodon seems to make me a much more functional human being in a lot of respects but I feel a little detached emotionally and just don't get as much out of being high anymore.

In all, I'd have to say that people just getting on Geodon probably should not smoke marijuana. You will probably be more sensitive to the unpleasant side-efftects, especially if you smoke within a couple hours of taking your medication.

After a few weeks I have been responding better to geodon; I no longer get super drowsy or feel tight in my chest after I take my medicine and I've gradually gone to smoking about as much as I did before. However, I feel very ambivalent about marijuana at the moment. I seem to derive less pleasure from it than before I started taking Geodon.

For those curious, I've been loosely labelled bipolar by my doctors; my mother is also bipolar. I am currently taking 200mg/day of Lamictal, 80mg/day of geodon, and the occasional 1mg Alprazolam XR for anxiety. I have been on Lamictal for 3 years and responded well. I took Zoloft for about 2 years and have been weening myself off of it after the first month of Geodon seemed to be helping.

Zoloft helped a bit with some depressive symptoms like wanting to sleep all day but I started to have compulsive suicidal thoughts upon taking the drug. Now that my dose is down to 50mg every other day, the suicial thoughts have died down. I'm glad to be rid of the drug. I will say that I quit smoking weed for a couple of months when I was on Zoloft and I'd have to say that weed and zoloft was better than just zoloft. Weed helped me deal with some of the uneasy affects zoloft had on my personality-wise (things were more stale, numb and boring on Zoloft). I also had difficulty reaching orgasm on Zoloft, which should not be something that affects a 19-21 yo male (or female for that matter).

Lamictal was prescribed to me just over 3 years ago and the first couple of months on that drug I spent completely sober. When I started to smoke weed again, I didn't really notice Lamictal affecting my high all that much.

Seeing as psychological meds and drugs have such a wide range of effects on the people who take them, it's tough to really draw any lines or predict how they will effect you for the good or bad BUT I feel it is very important that we share our experiences. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-14-2009 at 01:03 PM.