Melatonin use by Ischemic Stroke Victims...Is it Safe?
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

Default Melatonin use by Ischemic Stroke Victims...Is it Safe?

Somewhere, in the back of my mind, I remember reading an article (in JAMA, I think) about ischemic stroke patients who use melatonin for reduction of sleep latency, being at an increased risk for another ischemic stroke (whether thrombotic or embolic) and/or TIA's, either because of platelet genesis, SPS "sticky-platelet-syndrome" or both.

Has anyone else heard of this melatonin/stroke-risk correlation?

I've asked neurologists about this and even THEY give me the "I'd have to look that one up" line.

Several of our customers fit the aforementioned profile and use melatonin on a nightly basis. I asked my boss, the PharmD, about it; he wasn't aware of any contraindications. But I'm not satisfied. No one human can know all the drug-disease interactions, which is why I ask the question here......

Does melatonin increase risk of ischemic stroke, especially in those who have already suffered one? Does melatonin alter platelet clotting (increasing "stickiness") or cause thrombopoeisis (platelet genesis)?

I appreciate any advice, guidance, and/or links on this matter, as it is keeping me up at night.
    Peter

Any doctors/pharmacists out there want to tackle this one?
    Peter

Apparently, this is safe, according to three local neurologists out of which I managed to persuade an answer.
    Peter

pookie5353 is offline New Member

"Preventing ischemic damage

Melatonin has been shown to reduce tissue damage in rats due to ischemia in both the brain[55] and the heart;[56] however, this has not been tested in humans."

This passage is from Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by pookie5353 View Post
    "Preventing ischemic damage

Melatonin has been shown to reduce tissue damage in rats due to ischemia in both the brain[55] and the heart;[56] however, this has not been tested in humans."

This passage is from Wikipedia.
    I know...but there was, at one time an argument to the exact opposite; there haven't been enough human trials to say REALLY one way or another. We can make educated guesses, however. The neurologists I interviewed said they've never had one of their post-stroke patients get better or worse after melatonin use.

Does it prevent; does it cause? All we really know is that Melatonin does "something" to the platelets. The exact mechanism or extent of platelet alteration is unknown.
    Peter

I would be cautious. Do you remember when they said Tryptophan was safe to take as a sleeping aid and then many of those who took it died or developed severe neurological problems? They tried to attribute it to a 'bad batch', but who knows....

Quote Originally Posted by pookie5353 View Post
    I would be cautious. Do you remember when they said Tryptophan was safe to take as a sleeping aid and then many of those who took it died or developed severe neurological problems? They tried to attribute it to a 'bad batch', but who knows....
    Exactly!

However, melatonin has been on the market for over 15 years, now. We THINK it's safe but maybe 30 years after you start taking it, your head turns to jell-o.
    Peter

"Exactly!

However, melatonin has been on the market for over 15 years, now. We THINK it's safe but maybe 30 years after you start taking it, your head turns to jell-o."

Is there an echo in here?
    Peter